EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

October Trivia Prize Pack

Here be the games of trivia where you can show off your knowledge and maybe even win some cool prizes

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

October Trivia Prize Pack

Postby jabba359 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 14:33 +0000

Stan was generous enough to donate some items for trivia prizes, so now we'll have a little added incentive to participate in the quizzes.

So, how does one win a prize pack? Here's how:

*Participate in the weekly trivia as you normally do.
*The winner or winners (such as the Mar 23-30 trivia, which has two winners) of the weekly trivia will be entered into the monthly prize drawing.
*The winners of the trivia that ends during the prize month are eligible (for example, if a weekly trivia ends on April 30th, you qualify for April's prize pack, if it ends May 1st, you'd be in May's drawing).
*As people win the weekly trivia contests, I'll update the list of all the winners (in the order they won) and then use a random number generator (https://www.random.org/) to select the Prize Pack winner.
*I will announce in this thread who the prize pack winner is and contact them via PM for shipping info. International participants are welcome to play along.
*These rules are subject to change on subsequent months if there are bugs to work out.

So, for the month of October, here's what's up for grabs (remember, if it's signed in the picture, then the item you receive will be signed as well). Items are not to scale :D :

Special thanks to Gaffey for donating the Phantoons Usagi card. If you've been reading a particular other thread on the forum and look at the bottom row of prizes, you can probably guess what the "mystery item" is. I didn't want to list that particular item just in case they don't arrive in time (they should though). If for some reason they don't arrive for the October giveaway, then I'll either find or make something else to add into that slot. I'll update the picture once I know what's going in for sure. Updated!

About the artist - This month's original sketch card is by David Petersen. I'm sure you're all aware of who David is, but in case you aren't familiar with his work, he is the creator of the award winning comic Mouse Guard. Currently, David is working on illustrating a new release of Wind in the Willows. After that, he plans on returning to the world of Mouse Guard with an all new book. In his spare time (of which there isn't much), David makes wizard wands, builds small scale buildings and houses for his Mouse Guard series, creates his own role-playing games, and occasionally gets some sleep. You can see a lot more of his work and process here: http://davidpetersen.blogspot.com/

October weekly winners:
1. Trevis Woods
2. Steve Hubbell
3. Eltanin
4. Gaffey
Last edited by jabba359 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 16:58 +0000, edited 8 times in total.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: October Trivia Prize Pack

Postby BuckRogers » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:54 +0000

Should we have a "If you have won in the previous 1/2/3 months you are not eligible for prizes" sort of thing? You can still play but will not be in the prize pool?

I wonder if not as many people are playing as we always seem to have the same group of 5 or so winning each time?

Might just be that there is not too much interest outside of the few of us who visit almost daily.

Just a thought to try to get some more people involved.
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Gaffey » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:22 +0000

BuckRogers wrote:Might just be that there is not too much interest outside of the few of us who visit almost daily.

I think it's this. I was surprised that I was the only person to correctly answer go's question. All you had to do was flip to the last page of the comics and you'd see Charles J Sperling over and over again. He even gave __________ __ __________ as a clue.

I made this week's question pretty easy. You only have to flip through the Fantagraphics comics/trades/hardcovers to find the answer. You can also find it if you search around http://www.UsagiYojimbo.com.

I could understand not winning two months in a row.
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Maka » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:20 +0000

I am fine with the rule if you won before, give someone else a chance. So since I won the September one after wining the summer month one, I'm fine with Septemebers prize pack going to whoever hasn't won before. Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Gaffey » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:32 +0000

I don't see why you should give up this month's prize. It's already been awarded. Unless you're trying for the David Petersen card. :wink:

People will probably stop participating if they can't get anything out of it. That's just how it is.
Gaffey

Postby maichan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:50 +0000

The trivia questions are fun. I always read them, but don't always participate. Sometimes I just don't have time, and other times I refrain since I don't really need the prize (if I win).

I don't know what the right or wrong thing to do is, but I can put in my 2 ryō worth...

Forums always seem to have more registered members than active members. The percentage of active members is always very small. That is unfortunate in a number of ways. Social media sites like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter (or whatever else) seem to be where it's at now. I'm old fashioned and prefer the forums.

I think Maka should keep his latest prize. He won fair & square and deserves it! :D

But maybe the trivia contest needs to be refined or re-defined.

Perhaps prizes shouldn't be given out so often?
Perhaps prizes should be eliminated from the trivia game, and some new method of prizes should be created (maybe something as simple as just adding your name to the prize drawing, but we need to get so-and-so many entries first).
Perhaps Facebook, Instagram, Twitter (or whatever else) can be used to announce contests, and to draw in new members to the forum in order to enter contests.
Perhaps we need to set limits on how often you can win.

Just some ideas to toss around.
Maybe some of you have other ideas?
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby BuckRogers » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:42 +0000

Maka wrote:I am fine with the rule if you won before, give someone else a chance. So since I won the September one after wining the summer month one, I'm fine with Septemebers prize pack going to whoever hasn't won before. Peace, maka

Holy Smokes, Brother! I was in no way, shape or form implying that you should give up this month's prize!!! Sorry if you read it that way!

Truly, that was not what I was saying.

My point was that perhaps going forward, if you have won the previous month or even in the last two months, then one would be ineligible for the monthly prize at the end of the next month.

And it was from a point of view of trying to entice more people to play, not trying to take your stuff away! :shock:

Sorry about that!!!
BuckRogers

Postby go » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:46 +0000

Dear Readers,
"I think Maka should keep his latest prize. He won fair & square and deserves it! :D"
I agree completely, Maka won. Maka please keep your prizes and enjoy them as you deserve.

"Should we have a "If you have won in the previous 1/2/3 months you are not eligible for prizes" sort of thing? You can still play but will not be in the prize pool?"
Are we to leave out the few members who are playing just because they won before? This type of limitation is not fun in my opinion and may actually lead to fewer members playing.

The trivia contest is still in it's infancy.
The contest is now it's own organic entity.
It is interesting to watch the contest grow...

What is the real purpose of this contest?
My intention is to have fun.

I wish our members would consider entering the contests just for fun and if you win a prize then that is a bonus!

I think there is glory in winning the contest but the pleasure is in the playing and participating.

I can understand if only one member enters a trivia contest so esoteric and difficult that few have the answer.
I do not understand a trivia contest where the answer is relatively available but only one member tries.....

Best wishes to all,
go

ps I wish to thank Jabba359 for being responsible for the prize packs.
go
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby jabba359 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:08 +0000

Currently, it seems that we only have about ten people or so that participate in the trivia. Seeing as how six prize packs have been given away, the likelihood of repeat winners is high. Part of this is because, as mentioned above, people tend to use Facebook more than forum boards these days. If you look at the number of "likes" that posts by the Usagi Yojimbo Dojo gets on Facebook (upwards of 100), then look at the participation here, there is a dramatic difference. Those of us here are passionate, but few in number.

That said, I'm open to suggestions for administering the giveaways. I'm glad this conversation came up, as I've been considering doing mini non-trivia giveaways where anyone can enter to win a mini pack (probably something like a sketch card, a single poster, and one other random thing). I've been debating whether to do that on the main forum page here (keeping participation limited to our small community) or coordinating with the Facebook page to offer it to the 3,940 UYD fans over there.

As for last month's prize, Maka offered to let me keep most of the prizes since he already has a lot of the items, but I'll be sending the unique items since he won fair and square according to the rules. The other items will just be cycled back into the pile of prizes I have for upcoming months. I also don't want people to avoid participating in the trivia because they've already won before, as that defeats the purpose of the prizes: to get people participating. So please share your thoughts on how we should proceed.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby jabba359 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:08 +0000

edit: oops, double tap :o
Last edited by jabba359 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 22:00 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Lobster Johnson » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:32 +0000

I like participating in the contests when I can, as they are a lot of fun. Sometimes I do not enter, either because I am too busy or I simply don't know the answer. :oops: I don't mind seeing the same people win multiple times in a short period of time, though.
Lobster Johnson

Postby BuckRogers » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:59 +0000

The reason I proposed having the weekly trivia contest at the start was to try to increase participation and activity on the website and, secondarily to obviously have fun.

But the main reason I wanted to do it was to try to get more active members here in the dojo.

I never really wanted a "prize" or prize package, to be honest, as I feel it cheapens the contest in some way.

This is assuredly just secondary to my weird nature and personality. I have taught taekwondo for many years now and I have never charged anyone a dollar as I do not like the idea of any money reward for the effort. Almost feels like it prostitutes the art (and fortunately I do not need to earn money through this endeavor as I have another full time job). Similairly, I have never played a scratch card or the lottery because if I won, I would not feel like I had earned the prize and would not want it.

It is kind of how I feel about the trivia contest. The reward should be figuring out the answer and the joy in the journey of that, not an actual physical prize.

All that being said, if everyone wants to continue prize packs, that is totally okay as far as I am concerned. The trivia contest is the Dojo's contest and it is a "living" and "growing" entity.

Just my thoughts.

As Maka so perfectly and wonderfully says everytime, "Peace".
Last edited by BuckRogers on Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:25 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
BuckRogers

Postby Gaffey » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:25 +0000

So...if you win the October Prize Pack, can I have the pin, sketch card and mystery prize? :P
Gaffey

Postby BuckRogers » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:30 +0000

Gaffey wrote:So...if you win the October Prize Pack, can I have the pin, sketch card and mystery prize? :P

Ha! Calling me out on my principles, eh??? :lol:
BuckRogers

Postby Lobster Johnson » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:16 +0000

BuckRogers wrote:The reason I proposed having the weekly trivia contest at the start was to try to increase participation and activity on the website and, secondarily to obviously have fun.

I completely understand what you meant. It would be great to have more Usagi fans participating on the Dojoboard.
Lobster Johnson

Next

Return to 質問と回答 - Usagi Trivia