EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Weekly Trivia Challenge: Dec. 1 - Dec. 6

Here be the games of trivia where you can show off your knowledge and maybe even win some cool prizes

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Weekly Trivia Challenge: Dec. 1 - Dec. 6

Postby Maka » Mon Nov 30, 2015 13:58 +0000

Dear UY Dojo,

I'll have two questions this week and two winners.

1) Trivia question 1: In Usagi Yojimbo #149, the story centers around people valuing things more than people.

Can you find the panel(s) that seem to have something missing in it/them in this issue? PM me the page(s), panel(s), and what is missing. You can only submit once, so make sure you have the correct answer when you submit.

Whoever gets this question right first, wins.

2) Trivia question 2: Stan has had a lot of great writers, actors, and creators write introductions for UY collections. Name the person Stan should have write the next introduction to UY Book. Bonus if you explain why they would make a good forward writer. You can submit more than one person if you want.

Both questions' winners will be determined by my opinion. My opinion may not be right, based on your opinion. But that's okay. :)

Good luck!

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: Weekly Trivia Challenge: Dec. 1 - Dec. 6

Postby Lobster Johnson » Mon Nov 30, 2015 14:14 +0000

Do you want the answers for the second question PM'd to you?

These are neat questions. :D
Lobster Johnson
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Maka » Mon Nov 30, 2015 14:30 +0000

Lobster Johnson wrote:Do you want the answers for the second question PM'd to you?

Good question, LJ. Let's post the answers to question 2 in this thread so everyone can see.

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Trevis Woods » Mon Nov 30, 2015 15:21 +0000

The next creator to write and draw an intro should be:
Genndy Tartakovsky
Creator of Samurai Jack
If anybody knows and can appreciate a fellow samurai wandering on a seemingly endless quest it would be Genndy. There are so many reasons these two compliment each other: unique backgrounds, attention to detail, side characters that are unforgettable and awesome, unique tributes and nods to other samurai action movies, lead characters driven by loyalty and integrity. The next collection will contain the three part "Thief" storyline but more importantly it will have some great stand alone issues which is another strong trait in the Samurai Jack series. Plus it would be amazing to see a Stan and Genndy sketch of these two on the intro page standing back to back with Stan's trademark tentacles creeping in from one side of the page while the beetle bots Jack faces are approaching from the other side!
It would also be nice to hear Genndy's thoughts about Usagi and how it may have influenced his creation. I would like to hear his thoughts on what draws fans to these types of characters and what makes them so interesting to write as creators.
Trevis Woods

Postby Steve Hubbell » Mon Nov 30, 2015 17:55 +0000

I would enjoy reading an introduction written by Kazuo Koike, writer of the Lone Wolf & Cub Manga way back in the 70's and more recently a consultant on the 47 Ronin for Stan Sakai and Mike Richardson.

I can think of several reasons why he would be a good choice in my opinion.

1) With Lone Wolf & Cub, Samurai Executioner, Lady Snowblood, and a bunch of other samurai genre Manga stories to his credit, Kazuo Koike is THE big cheese of Japan's samurai manga.

2) Having the introduction written by someone from Japan would be a first for Stan and it might influence more readers in Japan to give Usagi Yojimbo a try there.

3) After his role in the production of 47 Ronin, Kazuo Koike might have taken it upon himself to check out some of the Usagi Yojimbo stories, and if so, it would be interesting to learn his opinion of them.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Maka » Mon Nov 30, 2015 19:50 +0000

Edit: Gaffey submitted a bunch of answers to question #1 and one of them is correct.

I'm not sure if I should make him choose which one is correct. :twisted: Congratulations, Gaffey!

I had two other guesses and they were not correct.

If you still want to guess question 1, you can. If you get it correct, I will send you one of the Usagi Reads posters (I have 9 to give away).

You all can still submit an answer to question two to win.

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Gaffey » Mon Nov 30, 2015 20:31 +0000

If I have to choose, I'll go with the fourth one which is actually the first under the second underlined/bolded word. Confused? :lol:
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Maka » Mon Nov 30, 2015 20:33 +0000

Gaffey wrote:If I have to choose, I'll go with the fourth one which is actually the first under the second underlined/bolded word. Confused? :lol:

That would be wrong. :lol:

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Gaffey » Mon Nov 30, 2015 20:36 +0000

Rats! Hope someone gets it on their first try. A little tricky not knowing if it's the thing or the person you are looking/not looking for.
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby BuckRogers » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:51 +0000

This is KILLING me!!! I cannot, for the life of me, find my issue 149!!!

My kiddos and I have scoured the whole house and it is missing! We have past issues all over the place with all of us reading and rereading them all the time and I cannot find issuer 149.

Is there an online version or something that I can look at digitally so I can try to find what isn't there to be found???
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers

Postby Maka » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:15 +0000

BuckRogers wrote:This is KILLING me!!! I cannot, for the life of me, find my issue 149!!!

My kiddos and I have scoured the whole house and it is missing! We have past issues all over the place with all of us reading and rereading them all the time and I cannot find issuer 149.

Is there an online version or something that I can look at digitally so I can try to find what isn't there to be found???

It is available at digital.darkhorse.com or comixology for purchase. I bought my copy from digital.darkhorse.com as my LCBS missed this issue for me in my pull for some reason. It cost me $1.99. Good luck.

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby BuckRogers » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:43 +0000

Maka wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:This is KILLING me!!! I cannot, for the life of me, find my issue 149!!!

It is available at digital.darkhorse.com or comixology for purchase. I bought my copy from digital.darkhorse.com as my LCBS missed this issue for me in my pull for some reason. It cost me $1.99. Good luck.

Peace, maka

Excellent! I will pursue this angle! Thanks!
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers

Postby go » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:43 +0000

Rumiko Takahashi.
go
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby Maka » Tue Dec 01, 2015 23:51 +0000

Five guesses on question 1 so far. All great answers but only one correct answer out of the five.

Great answers question 2, as well. Good luck!

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby maichan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:26 +0000

I don't have an answer for question 2 (yet), but thought I'd share the list of people that HAVE written introductions so far... it might make it easier for members to come up with answers.

1. no intro
2. Mark Evanier
3. Robert Asprin
4. Alejandro Jodorowsky
5. Stan Lee
6. Jeff Smith
7. Sergio Aragones
8. William Stout
9. James Robinson
10. Kurt Busiek
11. Lynn Johnston
12. Will Eisner