EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Weekly Trivia Challenge Dec 7 thru Dec 13

Here be the games of trivia where you can show off your knowledge and maybe even win some cool prizes

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: Weekly Trivia Challenge Dec 7 thru Dec 13

Postby Mayhem » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:24 +0000

LenLovecraft wrote:A four player beat em up would be incredible. When you say comic accurate graphics does that mean you'd like to see it in Black and White? or in Sakai Sensei's mixed media watercolor style?

I mean graphics either lifted from the comic, or drawn by Stan (and then animated) so they are 100% accurate, not recreations by another artist. The technology is more than there to allow to this happen. I'd expect the game to be in colour, but as the covers are all done by Tom Luth, then the colouring scheme shouldn't be too hard :)
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Trevis Woods » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:05 +0000

LenLovecraft wrote:Duude. This sounds incredible. Also you made me want to hunt down that Samurai Jack game bigtime! I have a question, who would you want to voice Usagi? Or would you want it to be text only?
Your level ideas sound so good, my favorite is the mystery solving with Inspector Ishida I really loved him. Your ending was really great as well I know you've thought about this before haven't you? :D

As far as a voice for Usagi, I wasn't a huge fan of the voice from the TMNT Big Brawl episodes. I totally loved the episodes and have the DVD but just not what I imagined for his voice. I love the Batman animated series and they had some amazing voice actors from Kevin Conroy to even having Mark Hamill voicing the Joker so it would need to be somebody that has experience and could really cover those emotions. The Clone Wars show on Cartoon Network also had some amazing voice actors and for Jei I would choose Samuel Witwer who voiced Darth Maul. The voice actor of Anakin (Matt Lanter) on Clone Wars would be more in line of what I imagine Usagi sounding like. He covers a range of emotion with that character.
I appreciate the kind words on the game ideas and the ending but I have to be honest, I just thought of it yesterday in my office at work.
The Samurai Jack game is worth hunting down. I kept my copy from all those years ago and wish I could play it again.
Trevis Woods
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Lobster Johnson » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:52 +0000

Trevis Woods wrote:
LenLovecraft wrote:Duude. This sounds incredible. Also you made me want to hunt down that Samurai Jack game bigtime! I have a question, who would you want to voice Usagi? Or would you want it to be text only?
Your level ideas sound so good, my favorite is the mystery solving with Inspector Ishida I really loved him. Your ending was really great as well I know you've thought about this before haven't you? :D

As far as a voice for Usagi, I wasn't a huge fan of the voice from the TMNT Big Brawl episodes. I totally loved the episodes and have the DVD but just not what I imagined for his voice. I love the Batman animated series and they had some amazing voice actors from Kevin Conroy to even having Mark Hamill voicing the Joker so it would need to be somebody that has experience and could really cover those emotions. The Clone Wars show on Cartoon Network also had some amazing voice actors and for Jei I would choose Samuel Witwer who voiced Darth Maul. The voice actor of Anakin (Matt Lanter) on Clone Wars would be more in line of what I imagine Usagi sounding like. He covers a range of emotion with that character.
I appreciate the kind words on the game ideas and the ending but I have to be honest, I just thought of it yesterday in my office at work.
The Samurai Jack game is worth hunting down. I kept my copy from all those years ago and wish I could play it again.

I have no idea who could voice Usagi. I have a very specific, hard-to describe voice in my head for him, so I would prefer it if the hypothetical Usagi game had text-only speech for the protagonist (like Dovahkiin in Skyrim). Those are interesting voice actor choices that you suggested, though (and Kevin Conroy definitely has the Batman voice).
Lobster Johnson

Postby LenLovecraft » Sat Dec 12, 2015 22:26 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:I'm kind of old fashion and tend to like my games that way as well. I was "going" to say that and then say that LenLovecraft was going to have a hard time trying to pick a winner out of all these great idea, then the idea of a Usagi Yojimbo chess set popped into my head unbidden, so I guess I need to suggest that as my entry. Usagi and Tomoe as the king and queen for one side, Lord Hikiji and Hebi for the other. You could have Sanshobo as the white bishops and Jei san as the black bishops, Sasuke on his giant toad as the knights for Usagi and Komori Ninja as the opposing knights, and little Japanese style castles for the rooks, and samurai vs ninja for the pawns.....

(technically, I am not the first to throw out the "video" game requirement) ;)

A chess game sounds cool, my dad owns the DnD chess game set and it's really well made. A set with Usagi and co would be a great addition for a fans collection. I really like your idea with Samurai vs Ninja as the pawns as well.
LenLovecraft

Postby LenLovecraft » Sat Dec 12, 2015 22:28 +0000

Lobster Johnson wrote:
Trevis Woods wrote:

I have no idea who could voice Usagi. I have a very specific, hard-to describe voice in my head for him, so I would prefer it if the hypothetical Usagi game had text-only speech for the protagonist (like Dovahkiin in Skyrim). Those are interesting voice actor choices that you suggested, though (and Kevin Conroy definitely has the Batman voice).

I have a very specific voice in my head as well when it comes to Usagi. Honestly I think Sakai-sensei would ultimately have to choose someone since he really knows better than anyone else.
LenLovecraft

Postby LenLovecraft » Sun Dec 13, 2015 19:27 +0000

Okay so its time for me to choose a winner! It took me a long time to be honest. All of you guys had some really neat ideas especially the folks who went out of the box thinking of traditional tabletop game ideas I really enjoyed them.

The winner is...... Trevis Woods! I felt as though Trevis went into a lot of detail in his ideas for the game, plot, characters and stories I felt I could really get a grasp of the finished product in my head! I especially enjoyed the idea for the ending of the game.

Congratulations on your victory and you'll have the honor of choosing the next trivia question!
LenLovecraft

Postby BuckRogers » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:18 +0000

LenLovecraft wrote:Okay so its time for me to choose a winner! It took me a long time to be honest. All of you guys had some really neat ideas especially the folks who went out of the box thinking of traditional tabletop game ideas I really enjoyed them.

The winner is...... Trevis Woods! I felt as though Trevis went into a lot of detail in his ideas for the game, plot, characters and stories I felt I could really get a grasp of the finished product in my head! I especially enjoyed the idea for the ending of the game.

Congratulations on your victory and you'll have the honor of choosing the next trivia question!

Agreed! Trevis' answer was great. Thanks for hosting a really fun weekly contest!!!
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers

Postby Lobster Johnson » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:07 +0000

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I've been thinking about what an Usagi video game would be like lately. I still think an open world would work pretty well. There are some other things I'm wondering about, though. Would it be better in first or third person? I generally prefer first-person, but it depends on the type of game. I think either one could work pretty well. First person sword combat is tricky to do well, but it can definitely be done; the sword fighting in Dishonored (a first-person stealth/combat game from 2012) is fantastic.

Another thing I was thinking about was dialogue options. In many RPG type games, you can kind of build the main character's personality and decide what they would say in different scenarios. But Usagi already has an established personality. It's hard to imagine him turning down a side quest of defending a town against marauding bandits. I'm not sure how this would work, exactly. Maybe there would be no option to turn down side quests, but you could do them at a time of your choosing (so, the bandits would not attack until you were ready to begin the mission).

I'm also curious about how much the player could interact with the world. In many RPG games like Skyrim, the player can steal almost anything and murder NPCs. There would have to be some kind of system to stop the player from doing this, as Usagi is a good person. It could be as simple as making friendly NPCs indestructible and not giving the option to steal anything, or those actions could result in a "game over".
I think Usagi's personality lends itself well to an open world adventure with more variety than many games have. My problem with games like Fallout 4 is that the interaction with the world is mostly limited to shooting at things. Usagi's more thoughtful nature would help prevent this problem, I think.

How straightforward would the game's play style be? I really like games that allow me to approach problems in a variety of different ways, like Deus Ex or Dishonored. I think it would be cool if levels could be approached with stealth or straightforward action, with a variety of routes through the level.(By the way, I really like Trevis's idea of a stealth level as Kitsune. I'm imagining something like the old Thief games: a big mansion with lots of ways to get inside, putting out candles and lights, pickpocketing guards, etc.) I would also like the option to knock out or sneak by enemies instead of killing them, as I think this fits with Usagi's personality. Could Usagi use some gadgets and tools to add some variety to the gameplay? He usually doesn't need much more than his swords, but some more tools could keep the gameplay from getting stale. Maybe a bow and arrow? Some smoke grenades for quick escapes? Anyone else have any ideas?

Anyway, this is all just something I've been pondering for fun. Games with depth, complexity, and well-crafted worlds fascinate me, and I'd love to explore Usagi's world in a game sometime. :)
Lobster Johnson

Previous

Return to 質問と回答 - Usagi Trivia