EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Weekly Trivia Challenge Feb 29nd - March 6

Here be the games of trivia where you can show off your knowledge and maybe even win some cool prizes

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Weekly Trivia Challenge Feb 29nd - March 6

Postby Maka » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:09 +0000

Dear UY Dojoers,

Stan has mentioned in interviews (and here on the Dojo) some comics that he enjoys. PM me one of the comics he enjoys AND post one comic (and only one) in the comments below that YOU enjoy that is not Usagi Yojimbo. Got that? You must PM me one of the comics Stan enjoys AND post one comic (and only one) below.

Winner will be randomly selected from those who follow the directions correctly.

Good luck!

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: Weekly Trivia Challenge Feb 29nd - March 6

Postby Lobster Johnson » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:34 +0000

I enjoy many comics, but here's one that I don't think gets enough attention: Superman Family Adventures by Art Baltazar and Franco (the creators of Itty Bitty Hellboy and Tiny Titans).
I've never been a huge Superman fan. Sure, I liked the character, but I was always more of a Batman guy. While Batman is still my favorite DC hero, this series made me appreciate Superman. Much like Batman: Lil Gotham, the book is cartoony and very light-hearted, but it is enjoyable for fans of all ages. The nods to DC continuity that were present in Tiny Titans are found throughout. It is a very funny book, while also including the adventure and derring-do of superhero comics. Plus, it prominently features one of my favorite characters, Jimmy Olsen, and stays true to the spirt of the character. While normally I am not a fan of Superman's New 52 redesign, the art in this book makes the suit look cool and still look like Superman's costume, not like battle armor. Overall, this book is truly great and is the defining run of Superman for me. Sadly, it ended after 12 issues, but those 12 issues are some of the best comics out there.
I was fortunate enough to meet Art Baltazar at a convention last year and I got to briefly discuss the book with him (and also got a cool Lobster Johnson sketch 8) ).

On a side note, I was delighted to see a cameo appearance of Gotham by Gaslight Batman in a Tiny Titans book I bought from Art Baltazar at that convention. It's fun to see my favorite version of Batman drawn in that style, when his original appearance was drawn in the dark and shadowy style of Mike Mignola. :)
Lobster Johnson
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Trevis Woods » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:56 +0000

I really enjoy the Sixth Gun comic by Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt published by ONI press.
Trevis Woods

Postby Steve Hubbell » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:47 +0000

Groo the Wanderer

Maka wrote:Dear UY Dojoers,

Stan has mentioned in interviews (and here on the Dojo) some comics that he enjoys. PM me one of the comics he enjoys AND post one comic (and only one) in the comments below that YOU enjoy that is not Usagi Yojimbo. Got that? You must PM me one of the comics Stan enjoys AND post one comic (and only one) below.

Winner will be randomly selected from those who follow the directions correctly.

Good luck!

Peace, maka
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Eltanin » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:28 +0000

Watchmen.
8)
Eltanin

Postby Maka » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:14 +0000

We have four complete submissions for this contest. If you are interested in what Dojoers wrote about which comics Stan enjoys:

Guy Davis's The Marquis. - Lobster Johnson
Blacksad -Trevis Woods
Crogan's Adventures series by Chris Schweizer Steve Hubbell
Groo - Eltanin

Random.org declare Eltanin the winner. Congratulations Eltanin. Your job is to list a contest for this week. It can be anything you want related to Usagi Yojimbo or Stan Sakai.

Thank you to everyone for playing! Good luck winning what seems to be one of our last months of trivia for prizes (and thanks to Jabba again for coordinating the prizes).

Peace, maka (The non-usagi book I am spending the most time reading right now is Strangers in Paradise By Terry Moore).
Maka

Postby Lobster Johnson » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:36 +0000

Congrats to Eltanin! Great question this week.
And a big thank you to Jabba and everyone else involved with the trivia prizes! That's the kind of thing that makes this community truly great. :)
Lobster Johnson

Postby jabba359 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 14:12 +0000

Way to go Eltanin!

Right now I'm really into Mind MGMT. Thanks Maka and Gaffey for recommending it. I hope the ending is as good as the journey!
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Lobster Johnson » Mon Mar 07, 2016 15:52 +0000

jabba359 wrote:Way to go Eltanin!

Right now I'm really into Mind MGMT. Thanks Maka and Gaffey for recommending it. I hope the ending is as good as the journey!

I started reading that a few weeks ago. I haven't read much yet, but I'm enjoying it so far.
Lobster Johnson

Postby Eltanin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 20:06 +0000

Yay! Thanks Maka for this question. It made me realise Sensei has very good taste in comics.

By the way, the new trivia question has just been posted.
Eltanin

Return to 質問と回答 - Usagi Trivia