EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Nilson & Hermy page Step-by-step from Facebook

A look inside the art by Stan Sakai

Nilson & Hermy page Step-by-step from Facebook

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:56 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:5 hours ago
Here is the step-by-step of the first panel of the 8-page story I'm working on for Dark Horse Presents. (10 photos)

This will be colored by Tom Luth.

The paper I use is 2-ply cold press (kid finish) Strathmore 500 series bristol, 11x17 inches, with a 10x15 inch image area. I use a mechanical pencil with an HB lead.

Hand lettered with an Aames Lettering Guide set at 3.25, and Rotring Sketch Pens with M or B nibs. I discard the cartridges they come with and use an ink adaptor which allows me to fill them with my own ink.
Tom Luth wrote:2 hours ago
I still appreciate the look of hand-lettering. While the fonts do a good job, and, in many cases, are becoming a financial advantage, they do not match the personal feel of hand lettering. I also appreciate the skill that goes with hand lettering, having given it a fair try myself, and, while I can produce a decent line of type, keeping it consistent throughout is not something I have mastered.

The word balloons are penciled with templates, then drawn freehand with my Koh-i-noor Art pen (the old one).

The panel border is ruled with a 1.0 technical pen and straight-edge.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Re: Nilson & Hermy page Step-by-step from Facebook

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:06 +0000

Nilson & Hermy page Step-by-step from Facebook - continued

Stan Sakai Foreground characters are inked with a Koh-i-noor Art Pen. These pens have a nice flex to the nibs that give a nice variation in line weight. Unfortunately, these pens were discontinued about 15 years ago. The ink I use is the Badger Black Opaque (old formula), which is the old FW ink formula. Unfortunately again, these inks were changed to an acrylic base which is terrible. I am looking for a new ink.

The last time I ordered ink, I bought out everything Dick Blick had in stock--about a hundred bottles. That was a few years ago. Badger changed their formula since then. I tried it, and it is terrible. I've got just about 10 bottles of the old stuff left, so if anyone has suggestions let me know. Inks I've tried are Dr Martin's Bombay Black and Black Star, Higgins Black Magic and the Blick Brand. I've also heard that if you add a couple drop of ammonia, that will dilute the ink without affecting it's color. Has anyone done this?
[quot="]Jason Week"]
4 hours ago
I used to use Black Star, but moved to this ink when I had a problem with it feathering. So far so good. http://www.jetpens.com/Kuretake-Manga-P ... ck/pd/4735
[quote+"Stan Sakai"]
4 hours ago
The Kuretake ink looks like it is made for dip pens. I use a fountain pen. Have you tried it with fountains?

Jason Week wrote:4 hours ago
I have, and it seemed to run fine. Part of my problem was finding something that would work well with dip and fountain.
[/quote][/quote]

I use a newer Koh-i-noor Art Pen for backgrounds. It does not have as much flex as the one that is broken in, so gives a slightly thinner line and less variation. I differentiate the two because the newer one has a yellow cap.

The pencils are erased. the part of the art process I enjoy the least.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:17 +0000

Nilson & Hermy page Step-by-step from Facebook - continued

The blacks are spotted with a Pentel Brush Pen filled with Badger Black Opaque (old formula). I love these brush pens. It has bristles, and I never have to wash them out as long as you cap them when not in use.

G. Gerald Garcia wrote:5 hours ago
Hey Stan...is the ink permanent black in the Pentel brush? Thanks.
I don't know if the ink or dye that comes with the brush pens are permanent. I empty them out and fill the pens with my own ink--Badger Black Opaque (old formula).
G. Gerald Garcia wrote:5 hours ago
I've not tried different inks with this pen, having switched to Kuretake. I remember talking with Alfredo Alcala about the Pentels, he also changed inks and modified it for a quicker ink flow, since he worked so fast.
Alfredo was incredible. He once showed me a fox hair brush pen that he had made. He also modified technical pens to fit his hand.

The details are added using both Art Pens.

I use Cel Vinyl for corrections and whites. I got this tip from Lynn Johnston and from Jeff Smith. I've been also using white watercolor paints. Does anyone have better suggestions?
Ken Mitchroney wrote:3 hours ago
Hey Stan. I have been using Daler/Rowney Pro White for my comic book and Rat Fink stuff. it's not bad at all. I can paint with it over inks to make chrome and lighting effects too.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Stan Sakai » Tue Aug 13, 2013 15:40 +0000

I would like to point out that "BADWORD" in part 2 is "Di.ck" Blick, the name of the art supply company (except it does not have a period in it).
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue Aug 13, 2013 23:28 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:I would like to point out that "BADWORD" in part 2 is "Di.ck" Blick, the name of the art supply company (except it does not have a period in it).

I have removed the word dick from the bad word list because of the fact that it is a relatively common name, short for Richard - which my dad actually goes by.
;)

EDIT:
I hope everybody does not suddenly feel a need to start using this word in annoying and derogatory ways. :D
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Mayhem » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:43 +0000

Heh... my father is called Richard too, and is often called Dick in the US as well...
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby maichan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:04 +0000

Steve, thanks for posting this. I don't always get on FB to see all the good stuff that Stan posts there.

I'm really looking forward to this story. :P
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby plasticplayhouse » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:10 +0000

this was a great post! i LOVE seeing the art process :D
plasticplayhouse
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Return to Step by Step