EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

WIP--Detail of the cover for The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Book 3

A look inside the art by Stan Sakai

WIP--Detail of the cover for The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Book 3

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:24 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:September 12
WIP--Detail of the cover for The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Book 3. Ink and watercolor on Strathmore illustration board.

ImageImage

ImageImage

Here are the waves at the bottom of the art.
Nate Piekos wrote:I'm surprised the Strathmore illo board takes the watercolor without curling. I'll have to try that. It was great seeing you at Boston Con, Stan. Great watching you work, too. I found those neat water-filled brush pens you were using at my local art supply store. They have different size tips!
Stan Sakai wrote:The Strathmore illustration board is nice and thick, so I use it on my larger watercolor pieces. It is made especially for wet media. It also has a nice grain pattern which I prefer over other brands. Those aqua brushes are great, especially for on-the-spot painting. For this watercolor, though, I used a variety of brushes from a 1" flat for the background to a #1 watercolor brush for the fine lines.

Kris Buker wrote:How did you do the white scar highlight on top of the watercolor shading?
Stan Sakai wrote:Kris Buker--the scar highlight was done with a #1 watercolor brush and Cel Vinyl paint, after all the watercolor work had been done. I use that to eliminate any stray lines and to add some white to the waves.

Every time you post a breakdown, I learn something. Thanks Stan!
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Return to Step by Step