EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

UY 145 step-by-step look at the making of the cover

A look inside the art by Stan Sakai

UY 145 step-by-step look at the making of the cover

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:12 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:September 14

I sent in the art for UY 145 last week. Here is a step-by-step look at the making of the cover.

The title is The Thief and the Kunoichi. The art is on 11x17 inch 2-ply 500 series Strathmore bristol, with a 10x15.5 inch image area.

First I rough in the art with a 2-H .3mm mechanical pencil using basic shapes to block out the art. I am very loose here so it is easier to make changes.

I tightened up the pencils using a 5mm HB mechanical pencil. Besides establishing the figures, I make sure the perspective on the background building is correct using a simple one-point perspective.

Inking over the pencils using a Koh-i-noor Art Pen, unfortunately discontinued, and Badger Black Opaque ink (old formula). Badger changed their formula a few years ago, and it is terrible. The old Badger formula was the old FW formula before they changed it.

I spotted the blacks with a Pentel Brush Pen filled with Badger ink, and added details using a variety of pens, primarily the Koh-i-noor Art Pen and Rotring Art Pens.
Incidentally, that pose of the guy on the extreme left is called the "shrimp death" where the body is curled backwards. It was the specialty of a Japanese actor who was in a lot of samurai movies. By using this death pose he could get his face on screen even though his back was to the camera.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Return to Step by Step