EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

UY 159 Cover Process

A look inside the art by Stan Sakai

UY 159 Cover Process

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue May 31, 2016 17:57 +0000

[quote=“Stan Sakai (on Facebook)”]
May 31, 2016

We leave for the Phoenix Comic-con tomorrow, but I was able to send Dark Horse the art for UY 157 and the cover for 159. Here is a step by step look at the cover creation.

The story involves Usagi rescuing a girl who holds the secret to a clan's survival. The art is on 11x17 inch 2-ply 500 series cold press Strathmore bristol, with a 10x15.5 inch image area.

Roughs drawn with a 3mm 2H mechanical pencils.

I had the girl carrying Usagi's sword because it seemed more playful and it leaves Usagi a bit more vulnerable to that assassin's sword poking from around the corner.

Pencils finished with a 5mm HB mechanical lead.

Inked with a Koh-i-Noor ArtPen filled with Badger Black Opaque ink (old formula).

Instead of her carrying one of Usagi's swords I have the girl swinging a flower stalk. It's a bit more playful, and also breaks up that big rectangle right above her.

Erased with a Magic Rub eraser, and blacks spotted with a Pentel Brush Pen filled with the Badger ink.

Details added with an older Koh-i-noor pen for the foreground, and a newer, stiffer pen for the background.

The roof eves in the foreground looked too flat, so I added a bit more texture to bring it a bit more forward.

And done.
[/quote]
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Re: UY 159 Cover Process

Postby jabba359 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 0:14 +0000

I thought it would be fun to try coloring this, as I'm curious to see what colors Tom Luth picks when he does it. I wonder if Stan gives coloring input or if Tom just does his thing and chooses what colors he thinks best?

-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Lobster Johnson » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:25 +0000

jabba359 wrote:I thought it would be fun to try coloring this, as I'm curious to see what colors Tom Luth picks when he does it. I wonder if Stan gives coloring input or if Tom just does his thing and chooses what colors he thinks best?

That looks great! :)
Lobster Johnson
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Stan Sakai » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:49 +0000

That looks good, Jabba359. Tom is usually on his own, however I will give him instructions when there are specific colors I need such as when Usagi fell into a vat of green dye in one issue or the color of a tengu.

DH also has very specific requirements as to the type of program they want colors done with. Step daughter Emi did the color covers for Hell Screen part 2 but was unfamiliar with the program so Tom redid it using Emi's color choices. That is why the next issue will credit both of them for the cover coloring.

Yes, the entire family is involved with Usagi now.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Return to Step by Step