EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Sakai Signature Variant cover step by step

A look inside the art by Stan Sakai

Sakai Signature Variant cover step by step

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:54 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:As posted yesterday, my upcoming TMNT/Usagi Yojimbo crossover from IDW will have a few variants by others and myself. This includes my own variant cover that, I guess, will be called The Sakai Signature Variant. I will have these at cons and Daniel will have them available through my website next month. Here is a look at the creation process.

The image area is approximately 8x12.25 inches on 10x15 inch 4-ply, 500 series, cold press Strathmore Bristol. I used to use their 5-ply Bristol and loved it. Unfortunately, it was discontinued. I complained and Strathmore sent me a bunch of their illustration board to try out. They are great, but I still prefer to watercolor on Bristol.

Like yesterday's drawing, this one started as a warm up drawing I did for the series. This was drawn on 9x12 2-ply 400 series, cold press Strathmore bristol.

I redrew it on the 4-ply, changing the composition just slightly, and adding space at the top for the logos.

Inked with a Rotring ArtPen using Badger Black Opaque ink (old formula). This is a free-flowing, permanent ink that is waterproof. Unfortunately, they changed the formula a few years ago and the current one is terrible. I'm still looking for a good replacement, with little success.

I masked the figures and borders with a dry frisket and laid on sunrise with watercolors.

My original thought for this was to do a gray sky with falling rain or snow but I had done a lot of that kind of drawing in the past so went in the totally opposite direction.

I removed the frisket from the figures, though left the border covered.

I started working on the figures and rocks. Since I know Usagi best of all, I started with him.

Working on the shells.

Then their outfits.

I had to check on what color masks go with which character. This is the first time Usagi has met the current incarnation of the TMNT. The last time, they all wore red masks as in the original Eastman/Laird version.

I like drawing characters in different weather conditions so added some flying leaves to give the impression (along with the flowing ears and bandanas) of a windy morning.

Add a bit of reflected sunlight on the figures, a couple more leaves, remove the border frisket, and done.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Re: Sakai Signature Variant cover step by step

Postby Lobster Johnson » Tue Jun 13, 2017 18:25 +0000

That looks great. I like the subtle sunlight reflected on Usagi's face.
Lobster Johnson
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Return to Step by Step