EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

UY Book 32 Cover step-by-step

A look inside the art by Stan Sakai

UY Book 32 Cover step-by-step

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:16 +0000

Stan Sakai (on Facebook) wrote:August 11, 2017

Usagi Yojimbo Book 31: The Hell Screen just came out a few weeks ago, and the cover for 32 is already due. Here is a look at the process.

Ink and watercolor on Strathmore illustration board.

Another Inspector Ishida themed book. I've tentatively titled it "UY: Mysteries". This is the first rough.

The roughs were done in a 5.25x8.25 inch moleskin sketchbook.

I like this rough composition, but thought it was too different that the other covers in the series. I will probably do this as the tip-in art for the hardcover.

This is the one I went with. This is a scene from UY #163: Mouse Trap part 1.

I roughed out the art on illustration board. The first time I used this in a long while. I prefer 5-ply Bristol, but Strathmore discontinued it. After using the illustration board, I still prefer the Bristol.

The size of the board is 11x15 inches. Penciled with a .5 mm H mechanical pencil.

Detailed pencils, using a .5 mm B mechanical pencil. I also determined the vanishing point for perspective.

Inked with a Koh-i-noor Art Pen using Platinum Carbon Ink, the first time I used this ink with watercolors.

Erased with Sumo black eraser.

I masked off the art and laid in the background color. I knew this would take place at night, but had to make the area around Usagi and Nezumi lighter as they both wear dark colors and needed them to stand out. I chose to put a cloud form behind them.

I removed the mask from the roof tops.

Working on the roofs with watercolors.

Removed the masks from the figures.

There are two ways to mask. There is a liquid frisket that you paint on and rub off, and a sheet frisket that you cut with an Xacto knife. I prefer the sheets. In my case, I use tracing paper and rubber cement. I posted a couple of tutorial on this on FB. I'll do it again when I do another cover.

Working on Usagi. I made him lit from the bottom to add drama to the moment

Working on both figures.

Still working on the figures and the roof.

It seemed too cold, so added some warmer colors on the figures.

Almost there.

Stripped off the borders, and done.

Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Re: UY Book 32 Cover step-by-step

Postby Rustyblade » Sat Aug 12, 2017 14:48 +0000

Man this cover looks amazing and seeing the process and explanation makes it even more impressive.
Rustyblade
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: UY Book 32 Cover step-by-step

Postby Warren » Sun Sep 10, 2017 17:33 +0000

Excellent as always. :) Very atmospheric.

Inked with a Koh-i-noor Art Pen using Platinum Carbon Ink, the first time I used this ink with watercolors.

Ah! That's interesting. Not the first time overall?

I read what Stan had to say about old FW and then Badger Black ink disappearing, way back when, and I'm sorry I missed them. (Along with the Koh-I-Noor art pen; but sorrier that Stan would miss them!) Looking things up, Platinum Carbon seemed the next best thing - a waterproof pigmented ink suitable for fountain pens... with care. I'd be interested to know what the verdict is.
Warren
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Return to Step by Step