EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Usagi Yojimbo #172 cover process

A look inside the art by Stan Sakai

Usagi Yojimbo #172 cover process

Postby Steve Hubbell » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:50 +0000

Stan Sakai (on Facebook) wrote:I turned in the cover art for Usagi Yojimbo #172, The Hidden part 7. On 11x17 inch 2-ply, 500 series, cold press Strathmore Bristol paper with a 10x15.5 image area.

Rough pencils, using loose shapes to define elements and composition. Always have to be aware that the logo will take up about the top quarter of the cover.

Detailed pencils, including determining the perspective. I had been a master's thesis advisor for years and perspective is consistently one aspect of drawing that is ignored. You just can't fake it.

I inked the foreground figures using an older Koh-i-Noor ArtPen that has a very broken in, flexible nib that makes a thicker line. I used Platinum Carbon black ink. I've been using this brand pretty consistently since the change in the Badger Black Opaque formula.

Background and other figures are inked with a newer pen with a much stiffer nib that lends itself to thinner lines with less variation.

Pencils erased with SumoGrip eraser. I like this brand as the erased "dirt" is slivers rather than dust and so makes clean up easier. It does dry up faster than other erasers so you've got to use them fairly quickly.

The finished art with details and textures added.

I scanned it as a 1200 dpi tif and sent it off to Dark Horse.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Return to Step by Step