EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Will Usagi still be famous in five years from now?

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Postby Bienenoberst » Mon Oct 31, 2005 13:20 +0000

Usagi will be apreciated by me till my death. I'll certainly read Usagi, untill I or Stan drop.
Bienenoberst
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: Will Usagi still be famous in five years from now?

Postby Steve Hubbell » Mon Jan 11, 2016 23:21 +0000

So, is this still a question in anyone's mind?

:D
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Chopalong Slashity » Mon Jan 11, 2016 23:38 +0000

Honestly I think fame is a secondary priority for Stan. I mean, sure, more people reading means more money means he can keep on doing what he's doing, and he's not some starving artist type, or the kind of guy who only respects obscurity and is allergic to attention, but if even the old Fantagraphics stories are still being sold I think that answers the question handily.
Chopalong Slashity

Postby Mayhem » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:56 +0000

Compared to fifteen years ago, when I first ventured into joining the Usagi fandom online (having started properly reading the comics a few years prior to that), Stan is a LOT more well known today. Which is only a good thing, and thankfully for the most part, the community vibe and camaraderie has been retained despite the fandom expanding significantly.
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re:

Postby BuckRogers » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:59 +0000

estee wrote:I think it would take a big change to the story for Usagi to jump the shark. Something like Usagi suddenly changes into a human....or aliens attack the Geisu province...

This line form 2005 made me smile. Too funny. Esp as Senso was so fabulous and an award winner, etc.
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers

Postby maichan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:02 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:So, is this still a question in anyone's mind?

:D

I'd say Usagi has held up pretty well...

Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Re: Re:

Postby Lobster Johnson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:29 +0000

BuckRogers wrote:
estee wrote:I think it would take a big change to the story for Usagi to jump the shark. Something like Usagi suddenly changes into a human....or aliens attack the Geisu province...

This line form 2005 made me smile. Too funny. Esp as Senso was so fabulous and an award winner, etc.

That is pretty funny. Turns out an alien invasion resulted in one of the best Usagi stories!
Lobster Johnson

Postby Robert Kassebaum » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:18 +0000

Usagi?
Robert Kassebaum

Postby Maka » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:17 +0000

Robert Kassebaum wrote:Usagi?

I LOVE Robert's one liners! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby dhfujii » Wed Feb 03, 2016 14:53 +0000

This is an interesting thread. Since this was over five years ago, I think the Museum tribute (technically 6 years) pretty much covered how famous it was/is getting.

Now, for the NEXT five years? Yes. It will be VERY famous! Hahaha. Well, at least, that's what I want. It's been the longest comic series I've ever followed and continue to follow throughout my life. I've followed Usagi as much or even longer as I did Mario, Sonic, Goku, Naruto, Spiderman, Batman, etc. There's something intrinsically and essentially special about the Usagi Yojimbo world, and it is my goal to spread awareness to as many people as I can.

Usagi Yojimbo provides such excellent stories, clean/beautiful art, amazing characters/development, great values, and extends past genres. It's my opinion that Usagi is not only a great comic series, but it's a great way of communicating lost values, and provides a great perspective/narrative on life. I want kids to grow up reading this series to help show them other ways to view the world. Especially with all the crazy things out there nowadays. Usagi Yojimbo is a blend of good and bad old world traditions but with a modern and empathetic voice. It creates a nice viewpoint to analyze how one deals with situations and presents healthy choices as well as consequences to unhealthy ones.

I do know that a lot of comics present similar themes, but with Usagi, it is just so clear, so clean, and quite out of the box.

It's my goal/desire to make Usagi a household name, just as it is with the TMNT, as well as keep its authenticity and dignity that has kept it going for over 30 years! Please stay tuned for much movement and development in the Usagi world!
dhfujii

Postby Lobster Johnson » Wed Feb 03, 2016 15:37 +0000

dhfujii wrote:This is an interesting thread. Since this was over five years ago, I think the Museum tribute (technically 6 years) pretty much covered how famous it was/is getting.

Now, for the NEXT five years? Yes. It will be VERY famous! Hahaha. Well, at least, that's what I want. It's been the longest comic series I've ever followed and continue to follow throughout my life. I've followed Usagi as much or even longer as I did Mario, Sonic, Goku, Naruto, Spiderman, Batman, etc. There's something intrinsically and essentially special about the Usagi Yojimbo world, and it is my goal to spread awareness to as many people as I can.

Usagi Yojimbo provides such excellent stories, clean/beautiful art, amazing characters/development, great values, and extends past genres. It's my opinion that Usagi is not only a great comic series, but it's a great way of communicating lost values, and provides a great perspective/narrative on life. I want kids to grow up reading this series to help show them other ways to view the world. Especially with all the crazy things out there nowadays. Usagi Yojimbo is a blend of good and bad old world traditions but with a modern and empathetic voice. It creates a nice viewpoint to analyze how one deals with situations and presents healthy choices as well as consequences to unhealthy ones.

I do know that a lot of comics present similar themes, but with Usagi, it is just so clear, so clean, and quite out of the box.

It's my goal/desire to make Usagi a household name, just as it is with the TMNT, as well as keep its authenticity and dignity that has kept it going for over 30 years! Please stay tuned for much movement and development in the Usagi world!

Thank you for your work in putting together Stan's website and the new Usagi site. It is nice to have a website where Usagi art, books, and merchandise are sold, especially since I don't make it to many conventions. I actually have a couple hardcover books from the site on the way now, and I'm really looking forward to them. :D
Lobster Johnson

Postby Jubei » Wed Feb 03, 2016 19:39 +0000

To wit, yes.

In this instance, longevity is a huge sign of popularity and creative consistency. To have survived and thrived since the 80s, through various publishers, different volumes, even a hiatus, that's an amazing accomplishment in this industry. And to do it with the same level of creativity and artistry is equally inspiring. Usagi should be hailed as an all-time classic.

Plus, getting exposure on primetime TV is sign of success as well. I always get a kick and a smile whenever I see the UY poster of Usagi and Tomoe in the comic shop on Big Bang Theory reruns. :D
Jubei

Postby dhfujii » Sat Feb 06, 2016 18:37 +0000

WHAAAT??? What episode is that? How did I not know this??? That's so awesome!!!
dhfujii

Postby dhfujii » Sat Feb 06, 2016 18:41 +0000

Thank you for your work in putting together Stan's website and the new Usagi site. It is nice to have a website where Usagi art, books, and merchandise are sold, especially since I don't make it to many conventions. I actually have a couple hardcover books from the site on the way now, and I'm really looking forward to them. :D

My pleasure! As a long time Usagi fan I want to do all I can to help spread Usagi! Yes, with the advent of the internet age, I want to make everything available online, as much as possible. I didn't go to many conventions as a kid, and I didn't have a local comic book store that I could visit (or didn't know of one). For me to get Usagi merchandise, I'd have to go to our Japanese American craft fairs, and buy it there.

Thanks for supporting Stan, I hope your order gets there soon! Let me know if you have any questions.
dhfujii

Postby Spam Musubi #7 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:03 +0000

"Fame. Fortune. A Samurai craves not these things."

- Misquote of Yoda the Space Samurai :D

I hope Usagi will be MORE famous in five years. There are still a ton of people in the USA and around the world who do not know about Usagi so there is a vast untapped audience. Usagi Yojimbo #151 Letter Page has a great picture of the latest generation of Usagi fans. What I really want is Stan's level of fame and success to match his amazing talent as an Artist/Storyteller and the kindness and generosity he shows his fans.

- Spam

Usagi Yojimbo-027.jpg
Usagi Yojimbo-027.jpg (85.33 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
Spam Musubi #7

PreviousNext

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum