EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

UY #109 - Sparrows part 5 (SPOILERS ABOUND)

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

UY #109 - Sparrows part 5 (SPOILERS ABOUND)

Postby Steve Hubbell » Wed Jan 23, 2008 23:01 +0000

Obviouly, I was not the only person to notice that Usagi was released a week earlier than Dark Horse had posted on their web-site schedule. :D

Another great issue (of course) and an excellent conclusion to the multi-part Sparrows story. :lol:

Things which are revealed in this issue:
1. The true identity of the mysterious samurai Isamu.....
2. The fate of Inazuma.....
3. The person destined to become the new host of the spirit of Jei.....
4. The correct answer to the age old question of how many bounty hunters does it take to sharpen a katana.... ooops, sorry, that mystery is still unsolved.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby morna-san » Wed Jan 23, 2008 23:04 +0000

huh!
Wouldn't ya know it, we didn't bother going to the comic store today 'cause there was a holiday in the states and that usually means no comics 'till tomorrow. Dang!

Oh well manana!

Edit: Hey Steve! I see you're green now - congrats!
I love him when he's pissed off

morna-san
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:04 +0000

morna-san wrote:huh!

Dang, I must have caught a bug or virus!
I'm sure I'll get over it eventually. :roll:
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby hayabusa » Thu Jan 24, 2008 13:45 +0000

morna-san wrote:huh!
Wouldn't ya know it, we didn't bother going to the comic store today 'cause there was a holiday in the states and that usually means no comics 'till tomorrow. Dang!

Oh well manana!

The new Usagi and other comics did come out yesterday, or at least they did in Mid-Missouri. And since we don't get anything early (much to my chagrin when it comes to Star Wars novels) I can only imagine that it released nation-wide.

It's a great issue and a good ending to a great story arc.
hayabusa
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Todd Shogun » Thu Jan 24, 2008 15:17 +0000

Spoilers below...proceed and own risk!

I got it and read it...crazy! Never saw any of that coming, especially the death of Inazuma (Tomiko). Or that Isamu was her brother. I did figure that it would be either Senzo or Hama to take on the Jei demon however, mainly because they look like the original Jei. My prediction is that Hama will let his hair grow out and assume the original form of Jei to hunt down his nemesis Usagi. I mean you can't kill off Jei!

One thing that somewhat disappointed me besides the death of Inazuma was that there was no interaction between Jei and Usagi during the story arc. I was hoping there'd be something revealed as to why Jei is so determined to kill Usagi. Perhaps this will be left for another time...

Awesome ending to a great storyline. Inazuma will be missed....
Order your UYD Albedo NR 2 T-Shirt today! Only $12!

Todd Shogun
Shogun

r.i.p. Inazuma

Postby Trevis Woods » Thu Jan 24, 2008 17:54 +0000

Love the stories with a big supporting cast. I was so bummed out that Inazuma died. Why, oh, why did that have to happen??? I was so hoping for her to be released and then make it her mission to hunt Jei to get revenge for using her. I assume her brother will now do that. It would have been great to see them both do this while also fighting off bounty hunters but oh well. While I am very disappointed I guess that just speaks highly of how much Stan made me care about this character and for that matter all the supporting cast. For me, it is truly a group book even though Usagi has his name on the cover.

Here's hoping Usagi is released early every month. Maybe next week issue 109 will come out as scheduled and Inazuma will not be dead.
Trevis Woods

Postby morna-san » Thu Jan 24, 2008 18:27 +0000

Awesome. I felt Isamu must be a family member - there were several hints (I thought). I was thinking uncle maybe. Poor Senzo going through all that and getting snuffed so callously. I knew he wouldn't be the Jei vessel - wrong temperament and too easy as well. Inazuma dying was fitting but kinda too bad, she was an interesting character. I guess she would've been hard to deal with sans Jei. A bit of a tortured soul perhaps better laid to rest.

I thought for a heartstopping moment that Sanshobo was getting Jei-ified. That would have been a difficult situation. I agree in wondering if there's more to Jei's fixation on Usagi than just the vague feeling that killing Usagi is his ultimate task and once done he gets to hang out with his gods.

I guess we'll see.
I love him when he's pissed off

morna-san
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 24, 2008 20:43 +0000

Y'know, if you ever set aside the time to chart Inazuma's entire life, you can't help but be astounded at how much it totally sucked.
Ben

Postby Thomas Froehling » Fri Jan 25, 2008 15:35 +0000

Ben wrote:Y'know, if you ever set aside the time to chart Inazuma's entire life, you can't help but be astounded at how much it totally sucked.

...and with that in mind, isn't it a great relief for her to die with the thought that her family wanted her back and forgave her?!?

I mean, yes, Inazuma was a great character, and I'm sure going to miss her (or, to be more precise: I will think about how stories could have developed with her still alive.). But sad as it is, it's an honorable end to a miserable life.

I, for one would never have guessed Hama to be the next Jei vessel; it is kind of obvious now, but Sensei has led me on a wrong trail again.

But I see a significant difference between Jei's former invasions and now the take-over of Hama: Hama acted on Jei's behalf before he was actually possessed by him! When he explaines his actions to Senzo, he speaks as a normal human (and argues like one; I mean, would Jei really care to kill the peasant, so that Jiro could not reveil his true identity??). Hama's soul must have been corrupted enough to kind of to invite Jei.
That may have been the effect of the long influence Jei's spirit had on him, or maybe a pre-disposition (inclination?) towards the dark side....

And what about Keiko? She goes from uncle to aunt and back to uncle without missing a beat! Always "leaving" Jei just as he is about to change his host body....

There's definetly more to her than meets the eye; I'd say...
Greetings from overseas
Thomas Froehling

Postby kchishol1970 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 21:23 +0000

Thomas Froehling wrote:
Ben wrote:Y'know, if you ever set aside the time to chart Inazuma's entire life, you can't help but be astounded at how much it totally sucked.

...and with that in mind, isn't it a great relief for her to die with the thought that her family wanted her back and forgave her?!?

I mean, yes, Inazuma was a great character, and I'm sure going to miss her (or, to be more precise: I will think about how stories could have developed with her still alive.). But sad as it is, it's an honorable end to a miserable life.

Not to me, this smells of the kind of Women in Refrigerators (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Refrigerators ) misogyny many have complained is all too common in North American comics.

Unlike Shingen, Ikeda or even Spot, Inazuma is not even given the dignity to going down swinging and instead is only a mere doomed damsel in distress. Even if there was some sign of Inazuma fighting to help Sanshobo's exorcism, that would have been better than nothing. But, Stan apparently couldn't be bothered to have that much class.

I was eagerly waiting since the end of "Grasscutter" for Inazuma to be freed and learning to find her own life again while connecting with people who care for her. Instead, Sakai squandered a terrific character with so much potential for cheap pathos.

It's yet another kick in the teeth from Stan so soon after Tomoe's predicament that ticks me off and makes me question why I bother with this comic.
kchishol1970

Postby Ben » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:28 +0000

kchishol1970 wrote:It's yet another kick in the teeth from Stan so soon after Tomoe's predicament that ticks me off and makes me question why I bother with this comic.

There's a simple solution: Stop reading it.

:?
Ben

Postby Stan Sakai » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:36 +0000

kchishol1970 wrote:
Not to me, this smells of the kind of Women in Refrigerators (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Refrigerators ) misogyny many have complained is all too common in North American comics.

Sorry you did not like the ending. Life, yes even comic book life, can be unfair. But women in refrigerators do not die consoled, with her spirit at peace, in the arms of a loved one as Inazuma did.

I had a definite course for Inazuma when I first created her. Her life would have been completely tragic, even to her death. If it was hard for you to see her die, think how it was for me to kill her.

One complaint I have gotten from fans is that almost none of the protagonists die. I was not pandering to these people, of course, but this is a reminder that everyone is vulnerable in Usagi. In the first draft of the series, Usagi himself dies on or about page 1000.
Last edited by Stan Sakai on Sat Jan 26, 2008 16:25 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Stan Sakai » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:40 +0000

Todd Shogun wrote:
I did figure that it would be either Senzo or Hama to take on the Jei demon

As Yoda would say, "There is another." He is in the story, but I neglected to re-introduce him early enough.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby MikeM » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:18 +0000

I read this issue last night and I loved it!

Jei's back in a body that looks like his original. I love that look and even though I didn't mind it when he possessed Inazuma, but I figured that was only for a short time.

It was sad to see her die, but she died at peace in the arms of her big brother. I wont go into the whole women in refrigerators arguement, as I have a problem with it in general. I dont see it here and in fact dont see it most times people get all up in arms about it. Superboy was killed off, I didnt go around screaming 'clones in refrigerator' syndrome. ;-)

I felt so bad for Senzo. I didnt want him to become the host for Jei because he was such a nice guy. Unfortunately I got my wish and instead he was killed by the real Jei. I guess you got to be careful what you wish for.

I also liked the two new bounty hunters that were introduced.

Oh, and the ending! That was awesome!

Another fantastic issue and looking forward to the next one.

MikeM
MikeM

Postby estee » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:58 +0000

I have to say..."Stan you suck!"

Of course that was said with all respect and appreciation to your story telling ability. Just upset at the loss of a great character. :wink:

As for Inazuma being a "WIR", I don't think so. She was injured in combat and would have died anyway to her wounds. She was purged of the demon which she fought bravely ever since it tried to take her. Now Jei has found a more willing host, one how had no qualms about doing his "duty" for the gods. The only people Inazuma killed were bounty hunters. I can't recall a single innocent person dying by her hand.

I think that was the reason she was able to resist the demon for so long and was able to die in peace.

If there is one thing I've felt in Usagi there are no "damsels in distress". Every woman is strong in her own way. Heck even Usagi has been tied up plenty of times.
estee

Next

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum