EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

UY #109 - Sparrows part 5 (SPOILERS ABOUND)

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Postby MikeM » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:35 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
I am wondering if there is any way there will be a final defeat of Jei.

Yes.

And, thank you for the letter.

What? :(
Well, I hope that its very far away in the future. I love Jei and think he is a fantastic character. Would love to see more stories with him in it before he receives his final defeat.

Thanks for creating such a compelling world with such amazing characters Mr. Sakai.

MikeM
MikeM
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:17 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
I am wondering if there is any way there will be a final defeat of Jei.

Yes.

At first, I was as disappointed as Todd when no confrontation between Usagi and Jei seemed to be forthcoming in SPARROWS, but I had a suspicion Stan was reserving said confrontation for a future story. I guess this pretty much proves it.

I wonder. If/when Usagi finally vanquishes Jei, will he become the next in line for "Jei-ification?" (The tragic story of the hero slaying the monster, only to become the monster in turn, is a classic in and of itself). Or will Usagi avoid the fate his fever dream predicted?

Questions to ponder.
Ben

Postby kchishol1970 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:36 +0000

Ben wrote:
At first, I was as disappointed as Todd when no confrontation between Usagi and Jei seemed to be forthcoming in SPARROWS, but I had a suspicion Stan was reserving said confrontation for a future story. I guess this pretty much proves it.

I wonder. If/when Usagi finally vanquishes Jei, will he become the next in line for "Jei-ification?" (The tragic story of the hero slaying the monster, only to become the monster in turn, is a classic in and of itself). Or will Usagi avoid the fate his fever dream predicted?

Questions to ponder.

Actually, I'm more worried for Gen.

Jei can already use the wound he inflicted on that Rhino to his advantage; who's to say that he can't use it to possess him as well?
kchishol1970

Postby Todd Shogun » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:11 +0000

kchishol1970 wrote:
Actually, I'm more worried for Gen.

Jei can already use the wound he inflicted on that Rhino to his advantage; who's to say that he can't use it to possess him as well?

Excellent point. Never considered that. Almost like the wound Frodo sustained from the Ringwraith on Weathertop in LotR...it's a constant reminder because it never fully heals. But the wound was made with Grasscutter, which Jei could never consecrate and eventually became the "death" of him, so the wound may end up protecting Gen...who knows. Hopefully it will play a role in a future Jei arc!

When Stan finally does decide to destroy the Jei demon and conclude his presence in Usagi, I hope he'll consider collecting all of the Jei stories into one complete book afterwards. "The Complete Jei Collection" or something along those lines. It's tough flipping through so many books trying to piece together the Jei conundrum. Maybe Stan could even throw in some additional pages on Jei; back story type stuff, character design drawings, unpublished Jei artwork, etc.....a total Jei experience.
Order your UYD Albedo NR 2 T-Shirt today! Only $12!

Todd Shogun
Shogun

Postby Thomas Froehling » Thu Jan 31, 2008 13:43 +0000

Todd Shogun wrote: But the wound was made with Grasscutter, which Jei could never consecrate and eventually became the "death" of him, so the wound may end up protecting Gen...who knows. Hopefully it will play a role in a future Jei arc!

Hm, wait, Gen wounded with Grasscutter?! I definetly have to look that up when I'm back home...

I think it was rather Jei's spear, which he twisted fiendishly....
Greetings from overseas
Thomas Froehling

Postby Todd Shogun » Thu Jan 31, 2008 14:41 +0000

Thomas Froehling wrote:Hm, wait, Gen wounded with Grasscutter?! I definetly have to look that up when I'm back home...

I think it was rather Jei's spear, which he twisted fiendishly....

You could very well be right. I'm at work right now and don't have the book in front of me...Plus the synopsis page for the Grasscutter stories doesn't really make specific mention of the wound. If it is Jei's spear, then tough luck for poor Gen.

Another thing I've wondered about Jei... In his first appearance "Blade of the Gods", he is seemingly destroyed by a lightening bolt. In "Circles", we learn that he did not survive the lightening strike but died and was reborn. Did he possess someone else between "Blade" and "Circles"? Someone who resembles Jizonobu? Or was the host body of Jizonobu simply killed and resurrected somehow? So far the only way we know of to release the Jei demon is using the Grasscutter sword or through an exorcism. Simply "killing" the host body may not be enough...or is it?
Order your UYD Albedo NR 2 T-Shirt today! Only $12!

Todd Shogun
Shogun

Postby Maka » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:18 +0000

Mayhem wrote:Now my copy of #109 has arrived, I can join in with this thread ;)

I haven't gone by my local comic book store yet to get my issue but I foolishly read this thread anyways. I must go in this weekend and pick it up!

Thought 1: I originally thought is there is a final confrontation between Jei and Usagi, that Usagi must die. But this sparrows series, at least until issue 108, Jei hasn't mention Usagi as the evil one he must destroy.

Thought 2: Now that Inazuma is dead, who is the best swordperson in the UY universe?

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby morna-san » Fri Feb 01, 2008 18:12 +0000

Something I've been noticing about Jei, which may be significant is that he seems to revert back to his original host when he sleeps, or perhaps it's that the Jei entity goes dormant. This may be a point where Jei can be defeated. I guess just as easily it could make the Jei part unavailable to be killed at such times. I was thinking of the first time Usagi and Jei met. Asleep Jei looked quite benign. Same thing when he had young Jotaro and again when Inazuma became Jei. She had a dream of being taken over and woke up Inazuma - to the extent that Keiko didn't recognise her. Three panels later Jei was back. I can't think of any other instances where Jei slept, I may have to go trolling through my trades.

Thoughts?
I love him when he's pissed off

morna-san
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby Ben » Sat Feb 02, 2008 20:40 +0000

There's definitely evidence to suggest the Jei demon's grip on its host weakens during sleep. Maybe the host's only chance of being freed from Jei (outside of an exorcism) is to defeat him within the dream realm. Inazuma seemed to be on the brink of doing just that in DREAMS AND NIGHTMARES before she woke up. Of course, Jei appears to be in a much more willing host now, so any further debate is probably pointless.

I have to differ from estee's opinion of "panel of the month". My personal favourite is the first image on page 13. The expression on Inazuma's exhausted face is just heartwrenching.
Ben

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sun Feb 03, 2008 0:40 +0000

Ben wrote:I have to differ from estee's opinion of "panel of the month". My personal favourite is the first image on page 13. The expression on Inazuma's exhausted face is just heartwrenching.

I actually like the panel right below that one....

Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby estee » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:27 +0000

Hey did you guys notice that Isamu and Inazuma are of different species.

Isamu is a Bear

Inazuma is a Cat.

I found that strange as they're brother and sister. Well maybe they're step-siblings.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. :wink:
estee

Postby Ben » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:31 +0000

Yes, both of those panels are pretty brutal. I've been afraid of Jei before, but I've never really hated him until this issue. I know he's a tragic figure in his own right, but after all the misery he inflicted on Inazuma, in addition to callously driving Senzo to madness and death, my sympathy is starting to erode.

Here's hoping Jei and Ibaraki receive their comeuppance someday.
Ben

Postby Stan Sakai » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:29 +0000

estee wrote:Hey did you guys notice that Isamu and Inazuma are of different species.

Isamu is a Bear

Inazuma is a Cat.

I found that strange as they're brother and sister. Well maybe they're step-siblings.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. :wink:

I thought I was drawing them both as cats, with those pointy ears. I draw bear ears more rounded. ;)
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby estee » Sun Feb 03, 2008 14:36 +0000

Well, Isamu looks like the same species as Sanshobo, who is a bear according to his profile and Inazuma is a cat. At least to me. :wink:
estee

Postby Marchino » Sun Feb 03, 2008 22:54 +0000

hello!!! today i bought UY 109 and its only one thing i can say I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! what a great comics really thanks Sensei for the great comic

Poor isamu... :(

Abayo,
Marchino
Marchino

PreviousNext

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum