EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Question Concerning Commissions

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Postby Jotaro9 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:12 +0000

Do you have to have a certain Status (Shugyosha etc) to get Stan to commission something? I know he's busy, but will he do them for any one if he has the time?

Thanks for sharing your pics! they're awesome! :shock: :D
Jotaro9
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sat May 23, 2009 10:44 +0000

Jotaro9 wrote:Do you have to have a certain Status (Shugyosha etc) to get Stan to commission something? I know he's busy, but will he do them for any one if he has the time?

Thanks for sharing your pics! they're awesome! :shock: :D

No special status is required, except for being a fan of Stan's work.... :lol:
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Jotaro9 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:27 +0000

Is it best to send Stan a Personal email? or is there a special place on the forum?

Thanks for your help! :wink:
Jotaro9

Postby Mayhem » Sat May 23, 2009 11:38 +0000

Stan allows for commissions that are to be collected in person. I don't believe he's mailed out any of his requests in the past afaik. So this means generally you're going to have to attend a show to be able to ask for something special drawn. Unless you find someone to collect it for you and then mail it out.
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sat May 23, 2009 11:42 +0000

Jotaro9 wrote:Is it best to send Stan a Personal email? or is there a special place on the forum?

Thanks for your help! :wink:

Best thing is to send Stan a PM through the forum here. Unfortunately, Stan does not do commissions by mail, so you will need to make arrangements to see him at a convention or signing (or have someone else attend and pick it up).

Stan Sakai wrote:I do not sell story pages, but I do sell almost everything else--covers, pin-ups, endpapers, convention drawings (like those on the outside back covers of the comics), and I accept commissions. As a rule, I do not sell art though the mails, so it is best to see me at a convention.

I usually start a "What should I bring?' thread a month before every convention I go to. You can request a particular commission at that time, unless it is particularly complex in which case, I would need more time. You can also request particular books, comics, merchandise, or anything else.

Prices for original art generally start at about $100 for a single figure.

I used to do free sketches at cons, but have had to discontinue that. I will sign almost anything of mine with no charge.

I am going to split these last couple messages off into their own thread, away from Mayhem's Gallery.... :wink:
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Stan Sakai » Mon May 25, 2009 8:30 +0000

Generally, I do not sell artwork through the mail and, except for one exception, I do not sell story pages.

I usually start a "what should I bring" thread before conventions or signings I attend. That is the time to ask for that one issue you are looking for, or that free poster, or the metal figure. This is also the time to commission drawings. I may not have time to do everything, since my story deadlines take precedent over commissions. It may take much longer for more detailed commissions. Wiley Pueo had to wait about 3 years for that Kite Festival drawing, that was used as wraparound covers for UY 42 & 43 (or somewhere around there).

The art and other brought stuff would have to be picked up at the con (you can have a friend or agent pick it up for you).

I want you to be happy with what you commissioned, and, if it is not up to your expectations, you do not have to buy it. But I may ask for a "kill fee" for a very specific type of piece I would not be able to sell later, such as "Usagi standing outside of my house at 1234 Someplace Street."
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Jotaro9 » Mon May 25, 2009 15:30 +0000

Thanks for all the info everybody! :)
And a special thanks to you Stan for replying in person! :shock:
I don't get around much, so I'll have to wait until I can save up some cash to come to a convention before I ask for anything.

Thanks again everyone and I'll talk to you all soon! :D
-Jotaro9 (Nikki)
Jotaro9

Postby Gallennon » Mon May 25, 2009 21:56 +0000

I most definitely will be at Baltimore Comic con then. I'll try not to use Stan as an excuse after the con for why I can not pay my bills :wink:
Gallennon

Postby ulic27 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 20:38 +0000

I'm not much of a message board guy, but I love UY so I joined the forum to keep up on things...

Anyway, I was psyched to see that Stan will be coming to a comic book convention on the East Coast (Baltimore! October! Can't wait!). And I understand that prior to this will be the time to ask for a commission. So here's my question--does everyone always go for an Usagi drawing? Everything I've seen, on here and Comic Art Fans, is commissions of Usagi or another UY character. Stan, you strike me as a gracious guy, and all the other artists I've met in the past have been happy to draw whatever, provided they have reference. I don't have anything off-the-wall in mind. I was just curious what people's takes on this were.

Thanks, everyone.

Seth
ulic27

Postby Stan Sakai » Fri Jun 12, 2009 21:47 +0000

Hi Seth,

The vast majority of commissions have been for Usagi, but many of them outside the standard pose-type drawing--Usagi on a bicycle, at the computer, fly fishing, as Green Lantern, as Rorschach, etc. There have also been a lot of non-Usagi-character drawings--a realistic polar bear, the Hulk, Spider-man, etc.

If it is not something I am interested in drawing, I turn down the commission.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby ulic27 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 13:57 +0000

Wow, a polar bear? Huh...

Thanks for your thoughts, Stan. Fortunately I have months to think of something both awesome and irresistible for you to draw.
ulic27

Postby ricksam » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:49 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:Hi Seth,

The vast majority of commissions have been for Usagi, but many of them outside the standard pose-type drawing--Usagi on a bicycle, at the computer, fly fishing, as Green Lantern, as Rorschach, etc. There have also been a lot of non-Usagi-character drawings--a realistic polar bear, the Hulk, Spider-man, etc.

If it is not something I am interested in drawing, I turn down the commission.

haha those (Usagi on a bicycle, at the computer, fly fishing, as Green Lantern, as Rorschach) would be nice to see
ricksam

Postby Gaffey » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:12 +0000

Last edited by Gaffey on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:27 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby ricksam » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:33 +0000

wow ! thank u for the links - often con drawings are not shown - for many reasons - lack of camera being probably up there.
these photos are awesome
ricksam

Postby Ghost9 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:08 +0000

That second Green Lantern one is awesome! Next time I see Stan, I know what I'm asking for!
Ghost9

Next

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum