EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Question Concerning Commissions

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: Question Concerning Commissions

Postby Edgar718 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 19:13 +0000

Kaimuki wrote:
Edgar718 wrote:Making it a day trip and driving from NYC to Baltimore to meet Stan for the first time and pick up my commission. Gonna be a long ride and day but looking forward to it.

How long of a drive is it?

A little over two hours. I want to go Friday since it’ll be the less busier of all the days but if that doesn’t work out I’ll be there Saturday for sure.
Edgar R.
Edgar718
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Kaimuki » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:51 +0000

Edgar718 wrote:
Kaimuki wrote:
Edgar718 wrote:Making it a day trip and driving from NYC to Baltimore to meet Stan for the first time and pick up my commission. Gonna be a long ride and day but looking forward to it.

How long of a drive is it?

A little over two hours. I want to go Friday since it’ll be the less busier of all the days but if that doesn’t work out I’ll be there Saturday for sure.

2 hours is not that bad at all, should be a fun experience going to the show.
About 10 years ago I drove 8 hours to meet Stan Lee....twice in the same year lol
Kaimuki

Postby Gaffey » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:15 +0000

In 2016 I drove to Columbus, OH from Florida (15 hours = 2 days = 1 hotel night stay/I got tired = not that impressive now that I think about it :lol:) to meet Jeff Smith, Skottie Young, Raina Telgemeier, Sergio and Stan at the Columbus library. This was a year before the hurricane came through Florida and decided to wreak havoc on my collection. :roll: Anyway, it was one of the best events I've ever been to. NO CROWDS!

Bonus: I go t to meet Chris Schweizer in the library's entrance as I was leaving. He was only there as a fan and was kind enough to draw a little Usagi in my Sakai Project book.

Double Bonus: I got to drive through the Carolina mountains on the way home. 8)

I guess what I'm saying is if you want to meet Stan and it's only a two hour trip you should do it!
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Trevis Woods » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:24 +0000

I drove 12 hours round trip from home to Kansas City to meet Stan a few years ago. Sold almost all my comic collection to pay for the trip and for all the Usagi stuff I wanted.
So happy I went for it. Totally worth it!
Got an original piece of art and a bunch of other Usagi items.
Met Stan and got a couple pictures with him.
If he ever comes that close in the future I'll do it all over again.
I'm really hoping Chicago is in the plans for the next year or two.
Trevis Woods

Postby jabba359 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 13:07 +0000

The trip to and from SDCC from my place is anywhere from 2.5 to 4 hours, depending on traffic.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Maka » Wed Jul 31, 2019 16:24 +0000

Grandpa Maka, "When DC's imprint Vertigo did their signing tour back in the 90s, I drove with a buddy of mine from Santa Barbara to Berkeley (6 hours) to get Animal Man #5, Kid Eternity, Sabastian O, and Sandman signed by Grant Morrison, Steve Yeowell, and Jill Thompson. Then we drove back the same day. You can drive 2 hours to see Stan Sakai!" :lol:

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Gaffey » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:41 +0000

After reading these stories I decided to drive over to the Tampa Bay Comic Con for the first time ever. I couldn't believe how little interest there was in the comic creators. It took a couple of hours to get there, less than an hour to get everything signed and another 2 hours to drive back (rain and accidents).

I was able to get books signed by Glenn Fabry - Preacher/American Gods (NO LINE), Arthur Suydam - Star Wars Galaxy (NO LINE), William Stout - Art of Usagi/The Goon (NO LINE), Takeshi Miyazawa - Ms. Marvel (NO LINE) and Timothy Zahn - Star Wars writer (1 PERSON IN LINE) :shock:. I don't know if it was the threat of rain that kept everyone away or what. Plus parking was only $5 (hourly rate). That's crazy cheap.

Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Previous

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum