EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Moshi Moshi?!

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Moshi Moshi?!

Postby maichan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 22:29 +0000

Konnichiwa everyone!

I'd like to introduce myself. My real name is Michael, but here I'll be going by Maichan. Maichan is the name my wife used when we first met and the name that many of my friends in Japan call me. While I am relatively new here, I have been a Usagi Yojimbo fan for many years.

I first got into comics when I was a kid, reading Tarzan - btw, I was born in '59, so those first encounters go back to the mid/late 60's. After that came MAD magazine, where I first saw the work of Sergio Aragones - Sergio is still one of my favorite artists (yeah Groo!). Then while in high school I found "Heavy Metal" magazine & I was introduced to many international artists including Jean 'Moebius' Giraud and Richard Corben. By the late 80's I was picking up some graphic novels - I'm pretty sure the first ones I bought were Frank Miller's "Batman... The Dark Knight Returns" & "Ronin". From there it was on to TMNT and some translated Japanese manga - Nausicaä, Appleseed, Akira, Outlanders, Caravan Kidd...

The 90's and early 2000's were a big surge in comics for me as I collected, and even read many titles - too many to list here. While I think I may have known about Usagi Yojimbo before, I didn't start buying the books until UY Volume 2 (Mirage). Since then I've been an avid follower of UY and a fan of Stan Sakai. The art and story telling were (still are) fantastic.

I've poked around the UY Dojo for a number of years, but did not actually join the board until a few days ago... geez, what took me so long?!

That's about it as far as comics go. Other then that, I am married (3 years next month) and my wife is from Japan (I have fallen in love with her homeland). We don't have kids, but we do have a dog, a miniature pinscher, and her name is Momo (peach).

Jahne! :P
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:38 +0000

Welcome to the UY Dojo forum, Michael, and thank you for the nice introduction. Seems like so many Usagi fans share a lot of the same comic influences / tastes.

I also started reading Usagi with the Mirage series, after being aware of it for several years because of it's connection with Groo the Wanderer. seems so long ago now.

Anyways, glad to see you here and hope you enjoy hanging out with all us other Usagi fans.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Stan Sakai » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:51 +0000

Welcome to the Dojo, Michael, or Maichan. I know you will like the forum.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby joergwesti » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:12 +0000

Welcome to the Dojo from overseas.
joergwesti
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby runnah4life808 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:16 +0000

it took me awhile to join the dojo too! hehe. welcome.
runnah4life808

Postby coolray85 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:04 +0000

welcome maichan!
great to read your story!you really got the best stuff first hand it seems..;)
I have a miniature pincher myself, her name is pitchula, which is portugese for 'little and cute'(my girlfriend(four years and counting) is brazilian)....
hope you enjoy yourself around the dojo!
abayo!
marcel
coolray85

Postby Maka » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:49 +0000

Welcome to the Dojo Maichan! Great to have you here! Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby cynlee » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:22 +0000

Welcome to the dojo! You're lucky-- they used to make you pay $5 to join. :P
"Note to self-- arms are over-rated."
cynlee
Sennin <Immortal>

Welcome!!

Postby Robert Wetherelt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:11 +0000

Konichiwa!! Welcome to the Usagi family!! Usagi Yojimbo is my favorite comic of all time!! It introduced me to samurai cinema in a BIG way!!

I too am in love with Japan! It's culture and history are facinating to me. And don't get me started on my love of Geisha! They hold a special place in my heart.
I would love to someday wander the streets of Tokyo and Kyoto. To go and see Kabuki live. And Bunraku puppetry,etc,etc,etc.

I thank Sakai-sensei for his wonderful comic! Subarashi!!

Anyway...welcome!

Abayo!! :D
Robert Wetherelt
Robert Wetherelt

Postby maichan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:13 +0000

Hello everyone!

Domo arrigatou for the warm welcome! :P
I'm certain I'll enjoy myself here. I may not be active, or have a lot to say, but I check-in everyday, and if I see something of interest I'll try to contribute to the discussion!

@ Steve Hubbell - Thanks for the welcome. I forgot to mention I'm also a Bone fan, and some non-comic book comics that I've enjoyed include Calvin & Hobbs and the Far Side. Back to the comic books, I have really cut back on my collecting and cut it down to the essentials - Usagi Yojimbo, Groo, and Hellboy. I just recently decided to end my Star Wars library. :cry:

@ Stan Sakai - Ohayo Gozaimasu! O-genki desu ka? Thank you for the welcome to the Dojo. I think it's great that you take the time to keep in touch with your readers and fans! Thank you for continuing to bring us Usagi Yojimbo for all these years, and giving many of us a peek into Japanese culture & history - even if it is from an anthropomorphic view! :wink:

@ joergwesti & coolray85 - Guten Tag! Danke for the welcome! I did not include this in my introduction, but I was born in Germany and emigrated to the USA with my parents when I was three. I returned to visit family twice while I was a child/teenager, but now it has been over 35 years since my last visit... I think I should visit again one day!

@ runnah4life808 - Aloha kakahiaka! Better late than never, as I always say! :wink:

@ Maka - Thanks! Great to be here!

@ cynlee - Thanks! Whew, good thing they waived the $5 fee, all I had was a $100 bill. :lol:

@ Robert Wetherelt - Ohayo Gozaimasu! I see we both have a liking for Samurai film! But I won't ask about the Geisha! :lol:
I love Japan, and I tell my wife we can move back there whenever she is ready! I have been there 5 or 6 times, and we are making plans for our next visit. Tokyo is a busy crazy place, but I like it. However my favorite places are out in the countryside, and I want to visit more rural places on future trips. My wife is from Kamakura, a city full of temples and shrines, it is a city with an interesting history.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby coolray85 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 13:35 +0000

servus!;)
well, how interesting, we had no idea you were a brother;)...hahahaha...
where were you born?...if you ever get back on these shores let'S meet and have a great usagi time together...
I wanted to know if you too would be willing to check out the return of the teenage mutant ninja turtles to comics this month?...knwing you've been a fan and supporter from day one way back when you might want to see them back in kevin eastman's hands(given not his hands alone, but I see only the best so far)....it's from idw and stan was also asked to contribute something(maybe a one shot???) to the book....
glad you enjoy this place as much as we all do...
gute nacht, amigos!
coolray85

Postby maichan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:42 +0000

coolray85 wrote:servus!;)
well, how interesting, we had no idea you were a brother;)...hahahaha...
where were you born?...if you ever get back on these shores let'S meet and have a great usagi time together...
I wanted to know if you too would be willing to check out the return of the teenage mutant ninja turtles to comics this month?...knwing you've been a fan and supporter from day one way back when you might want to see them back in kevin eastman's hands(given not his hands alone, but I see only the best so far)....it's from idw and stan was also asked to contribute something(maybe a one shot???) to the book....
glad you enjoy this place as much as we all do...
gute nacht, amigos!

Hello coolray85.

Thanks for the invitation if I ever visit mother Deutschland.

Regarding TMNT.... not sure where I stand on that. I have heard news about a return, but I'm not really much into them anymore. Way back then, I did like the stories and art, but my tastes have changed and while I'm still intrigued by the TMNT, I don't think I'll actually follow their new adventures. Usagi Yojimbo on the otherhand, I will follow to the ends of the earth! :wink:
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum