EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Usagi short film

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Usagi short film

Postby roel » Wed Nov 13, 2013 17:33 +0000

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. Been pretty busy with life and work but I wanted to share some news with the dojo first before I told anyone else.

Stan gave me permission several years ago to make a "fan made" short film. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it happen until just recently. I finally freed up some time and with the help of some friends, the last few months have been spent directing an Usagi short film.

It's a stop motion film and it is turning out better than expected. I can't wait to share some footage with you folks. I have friends from "Nightmare before Christmas", "Coraline" and "Star Wars" who have volunteered their time and it's been fun and exciting to finally make this into reality.

Stay tuned for more news and I'm sure Steve will update this site with pictures that I will be posting on Facebook.

Roel
roel
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: Usagi short film

Postby Maka » Wed Nov 13, 2013 19:50 +0000

Can't wait Roel! Thanks for sharing and putting in the hard work with your friends!

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 21:32 +0000

Roel Robles wrote:
October 29.

Construction begins.

Roel Robles wrote:
October 31.

My talented model crew gave me a "treat" and finished 90% of the set.

Roel Robles wrote:
about an hour ago.

Lights...Camera...Action!!!

Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Ghost9 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:22 +0000

Wow!! CAN. NOT. WAIT!!!!
Ghost9

Postby Jet_Jaguar » Thu Nov 14, 2013 15:34 +0000

Oh wow, I've actually dreamed about someone making something like this for a long time! :D
"It doesn't matter whom you are paired against;
your opponent is always yourself."

-Nakamura (via Joe R. Lansdale's Mucho Mojo)
Jet_Jaguar

Postby midoribari » Wed Nov 20, 2013 17:23 +0000

This looks severely cool. I can't wait to see it!
midoribari

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:34 +0000

If you all have any interest in this project, show some interest! :?

Roel Robles (8:28pm on Nov 30) wrote:Can you tag Stan on my thanksgiving photo from the FB dojo. I tried to do it but it didn't work. I guess not too many people are interested in an Usagi movie. Haven't seen too many comments on the FB or official dojo page. I was going to share some footage but I think I won't anymore.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby midoribari » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:41 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:Image

If you all have any interest in this project, show some interest! :?

Roel Robles (8:28pm on Nov 30) wrote:Can you tag Stan on my thanksgiving photo from the FB dojo. I tried to do it but it didn't work. I guess not too many people are interested in an Usagi movie. Haven't seen too many comments on the FB or official dojo page. I was going to share some footage but I think I won't anymore.

I was thinking of posting the link for this on the UY fanblog that I have going on Tumblr, if that helps. OuO
midoribari

Postby Maka » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:51 +0000

I shared it on my Facebook wall with the following text: "I can't wait for this animated short of Usagi Yojimbo by Roel Robles (who has done work for Lucas Films / Star Wars movies)."

I will tweet it later on as well.

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby roel » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:31 +0000

Thanks Maka,

Sorry, that message was for Steve. I was just curious why there isn't as much traffic on here as before. I wanted to share some "exclusive" news and footage with the dojo but if there are not too many members on here right now I may hold off.

Don't worry though. Everyone will be able to see footage from other places. We are working hard to finalize the short film and have been working on a trailer for the movie. There are other things that we are doing that people will hopefully get a kick out of.

We have tentative plans right now for the short film and anything we do with with it the proceeds will go to help Sharon and Stan. I think the focus should be on them right now as well. I will have further news on what we are doing and what's in store for the future but for now I am trying to spread the word for everyone to help out Sharon and Stan and to donate to CAPS.

Thanks again for the members that are supporting this project!!!
roel

Postby Mayhem » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:41 +0000

I'm still here because I'm not on Facebook. Okay, wrong wording perhaps... I'd still be here anyways, but I rely on here for my UY news.
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby maichan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:21 +0000

Mayhem wrote:I'm still here because I'm not on Facebook. Okay, wrong wording perhaps... I'd still be here anyways, but I rely on here for my UY news.

Yeah, I'm on Facebook, but I'm not a fan of Facebook..... That said, Facebook may be the best place to reach out to the largest number of people, but I think the Dojo still would be the best place to post UY news. :roll:
Michael < Maichan ~ wandering Ronin, and part-time Yokai Hunter: Let me quell your Demons >
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Mr-Redgie » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:35 +0000

Seriously cannot wait for this movie. You have lined up some serious talent and the stills above look great! :D

All the best with it and looking forward to more updates (and a trailer)

Dave
Mr-Redgie

Postby Gaffey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 20:07 +0000

I'd love to see the film. I'm not a Facebook user so it'd be nice if you shared it here.
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby coolray85 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:51 +0000

hey friends!
sorry, I haven't known at all about this project until I saw the thanksgiving card of it on fb.I like many others here apperantly don't like fb too much although being a member of it.but I love the feel and look of this already!I hope this will reach out to many so that much more people flock to these wonderful comics!also, I have a slight feeling that if there ever was a movie or short movie project to come from this(and it wasn't stan directing or co-directing) I think usagis world is in good able hands at you folks.
greetings
marcel
coolray85

Next

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum