EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Usagi Yojimbo: Senso

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Usagi Yojimbo: Senso

Postby Steve Hubbell » Mon May 05, 2014 10:03 +0000

Tom Luth wrote:
April 18, 2014
So, I guess it is time to begin sharing these... If you are a fan of Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo, you will definitely want to pick up his upcoming mini-series, "Usagi Yojimbo: SENSO. Here is a sneak peek at the wrap-around cover to issue #1.

Tom Luth wrote:
May 1, 2014
I guess it's time to provide a sneak peak at the cover to Usagi Yojimbo: Senso #2.

Tom Luth wrote:
May 13, 2014

Just a quick preview of Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo SENSO #3, coming soon from Dark Horse.

Tom Luth wrote:
May 20, 2014

So, I guess it's time to share a sneak peak at Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo: SENSO #4.

Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Re: Usagi Yojimbo: Senso

Postby Steve Hubbell » Mon May 05, 2014 11:37 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:
May 29, 2013

Here's few pics from the hospital today.

I made myself a cozy little drawing nook in her room.

This is as far as I got before running out of it. Usagi Yojimbo: Senso part 1 (of 5), page 2-3.

Stan Sakai wrote:May 30, 2013

Here's the preliminary inks for page one of UY Senso #1 that I did when she was sleeping yesterday afternoon.

Stan Sakai wrote:
June 1, 2013

Here's the page I'm working on while she's asleep.

Stan Sakai wrote:
June 2, 2013

Meanwhile, here is today's hospital page. UY:Senso issue 1, page 11.

Stan Sakai wrote:
June 23, 2013

It's taken me almost twice as long as usual, but I've finished the art for Usagi Yojimbo: Senso #1 (of 5).

Now I'll get ready for San Diego, before starting on issue 2. There are books to sign, art to organize, and a new sketchbook to put together.

Stan Sakai wrote:
July 7, 2013

Matthew and I are getting ready to leave Seattle. I pencilled 6 pages since arriving Thursday. This is more work than I was able to do in the previous two weeks.

Stan Sakai wrote:
July 17, 2013

In San Diego, doing some work in the hotel room before Comic-con. So far I've penciled 4 pages. I need to do 4 more by Sunday. That's on top of con commissions.

Stan Sakai wrote:
Oct 20, 2013

Inking Usagi, and snacking on koshi-an (sweet red beans). I usually don't eat the an straight, but we have an open bag that needs to be used up.

Stan Sakai wrote:
Oct 23, 2013

Design from Usagi Yojimbo: Senso mini-series.

Stan Sakai wrote:
Nov 13, 2013

Here is the completed wrap-around cover for UY Senso #2. The 6-issue mini-series will be out some time in 2014. It is taking me a lot longer to get work done because I don't spent as much time at the drawing board. We won't solicit these books until I'm well into issue 4, then the series can come out monthly.

The premise is HG Well's War of the Worlds. What if the martians had sent a few scout ships to Earth two centuries before they invaded Victorian England?

Stan Sakai wrote:
Nov 15, 2013
I sent in the entire story for UY:Senso #2. Yes, I still send in original art. Here are a few pages.

Stan Sakai wrote:
Nov 25, 2013
I sometimes have to redraw pages. It may be because of some inaccuracy on my part such as when I confused the game of Go with Go-moku in Demon Mask or it may be because I did not like the pacing of the page. A couple of times, I could not decide between two endings of a story so drew both of them up, and chose one (once I even had Editor Diana choose for me).

Here is a very recent example of a redraw. This is for UY: Senso #2, the issue I had turned in a couple of weeks ago. I put 4 characters in the first panel in a reaction shot, but that weakened the impact of the larger image. I redid it as a splash page which worked much better, and it set up the story for the big reveal shot of the space ship a few pages further on. Too bad. I like how I handled the title calligraphy on the original. I know I can drop it in the new page, but that seems like cheating.

10x15 inch image area on 11x17 inch 2-ply cold press Strathmore 500 series bristol board, drawn with Koh-i-noor ArtPen and Badger Black Opaque ink (old formula). It was hand-lettered with Rotring ArtPen medium nib. Title was lettered with a Pentel Brush Pen.

I thought of the Gone With the Wind railroad station hospital scene where the camera keeps pulling back and we see more and more of the wounded, until it comes to rest with the Confederate flag in the foreground.

Stan Sakai wrote:
January 6

It took a lot longer than usual, but I sent in the art for Usagi Yojimbo: Senso #3 (of 6). Here is the wrap around cover.

Stan Sakai wrote:
January 9

I turned in UY: Senso #3 earlier this week. Here is a step-by-step look at the making of page 2, panel 3.

Stan Sakai wrote:
Feb 1

I'm more than half finished with Usagi Yojimbo: Senso #4 (of 6), and I'm really enjoying it. I don't know if it is this particular storyline of Usagi vs aliens or because I had been on hiatus from Usagi for almost a year as I worked on 47 Ronin, but I'm having a great time. Here is a double page splash from issue 3.

Stan Sakai wrote:
Feb 13

I sent in Usagi Yojimbo: Senso, part 4 today. I really am having fun with this. It's a 6-issue Usagi mini-series independent of the regular on-going series. It's accessible for new readers, and has a lot of surprises for long time fans.

Stan Sakai wrote:
Feb 15

Here is my cover for Usagi Yojimbo: Senso #4. I'm 2/3 of the way finished with this mini-series. I'll take a week off to work on my contribution to the Comic-con souvenir book, a painting for a special project, and a trip to speak at Michigan State University, then it's on to issue 5.

Stan Sakai wrote:
March 14

It took twice as long as usual, but just finished the lettering on UY: Senso, part 5 (of 6). Also watching the Complete Jim Hutton Ellery Queen on DVD. The Adventure of the Comic Book Crusader. A Stan Lee-like writer/editor is killed. Who dunnit? The figure artist? Background artist? Inker? or Letterer? There is even some faux Kirby art. I love this series.

Stan Sakai wrote:
April 17
It is great having Sharon at home. We have to adjust to her new meds schedules and procedures, such as administering an IV through a PICC line.

I sent in the wraparound cover for UY: Senso #5 (of 6). I am about 3/4 complete with the story.

Stan Sakai wrote:
May 1

I sent in the art for UY: Senso #5, the penultimate issue of the mini-series.

Stan Sakai wrote:
May 3

Here is half of the cover to UY: Senso #6 (of 6). It is a double page spread, like the previous covers, but I don't want to give away too much of the finale right now.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby roel » Mon May 05, 2014 19:47 +0000

Thanks Steve for putting all the artwork on one thread. I can't wait to get this book. So excited for it!!!
roel
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Marco Polo » Tue May 06, 2014 1:35 +0000

I am so excited to read these & admire the artwork and great stories :D
Be more like a Panda. They're Black, White and Asian.
Marco Polo

Postby coolray85 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:05 +0000

like you I am longing for usagis return.and this seems like such a great and outlandish jumping in point its fantastic I think.has there already been set a release date for issue 1?I am frequenting my comic book dealer all the time but so far there is nothing on it to be found....yet, I know the first 3 issues at least were finished I think I remember sensei saying on fb.and tom has obviously colored the first couple of covers.this is why I am asking whether you know of a release date already and I just missed it or has this yet to be named.
coolray85

Postby Stan Sakai » Wed May 07, 2014 6:25 +0000

I was told the first issue will be out in August, with the following issues coming out monthly.

Editor Diana does not usually comment on my stories when I send them in, but this time she did:
"Wow! Awe. Some.
Your fans are just going to explode!
Totally cool!!!!!!!!!!!!"

All the exclamation points are hers.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby roel » Wed May 07, 2014 11:06 +0000

Stan, the artwork that you've been sharing has been fantastic! Your artwork keeps getting better and in my opinion, I think this is the best work you've done so far. Every page looks like a pin up. I've been thinking and dreaming about these huge battles with Usagi, Gen, Tomoe, adult Jotaro under Noriyuki and now we get to see it. Simply AMAZING!!! August can't come soon enough.
roel

Postby coolray85 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:53 +0000

WOW, august already?!?!this is GREAT NEWS!!!!
hahaha, dianas exclamation marks couldn't raise my anticipation for this mini series, it is already so high;)...
I agree with roel here, each snippet of panels made me excited.this story seems to be cooking on all cylinders at once.I don't know what I am looking most forward to actually...teh artwork is so gracefull and dynamic, but seeing gen in a clan?!?!jotaro and nouriyouki GROWN up!?!tomoe ame maybe not? married??....I look forward to this summer!I recently pre-ordered another sakai project book for my sister, with this mini series comming not long after this I guess she will have a great summer, too;)
coolray85

Postby maichan » Thu May 08, 2014 22:06 +0000

More great news.
This is turning out to be a wonderful year for Usagi material!
Domo arrigatou Sensei!
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue May 13, 2014 23:11 +0000

Added the awesome image of the cover art for UY: Senso #3 with Tom's colors to the beginning post.....
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby roel » Wed May 14, 2014 13:00 +0000

I just realized that Usagi has not revealed that he is the father of Jotaro since Jotaro calls him Usagi and not "dad". It'll also take some time for me to get used to hearing Jotaro say "Usagi" instead of "Uncle Usagi".

Thanks for posting again Steve. The covers would make great Posters!!!
roel

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue May 20, 2014 9:58 +0000

Tom Luth posted the finished cover art for Usagi Yojimbo: Senso #4, so I added it to the beginning post..... :D
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby maichan » Tue May 20, 2014 10:01 +0000

Thanks Steve. These are all looking great, and I can't wait to get my hands on them! :D
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby estee » Fri May 23, 2014 20:21 +0000

Okay, I am compelled by forces beyond my control...I have to ask:

How much do you want for the original art for the cover of Issue #5, Mr. Sakai?
estee

Postby Stan Sakai » Fri May 23, 2014 22:12 +0000

estee wrote:Okay, I am compelled by forces beyond my control...I have to ask:

How much do you want for the original art for the cover of Issue #5, Mr. Sakai?

I will not get the art returned until after the issues are published. These are wrap around covers, and will probably be priced in the 1500-2000 range.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Next

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum