EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Usagi Yojimbo: Senso

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: Usagi Yojimbo: Senso

Postby Maka » Wed Jan 07, 2015 18:18 +0000

I can't pick up my copy until Friday. I can't look at any reviews. Patience, old grasshopper.
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby estee » Fri Jan 09, 2015 18:57 +0000

OMG that rocked! Loved Senso. It was gift. Thank you, Stan.

If you'd like you can read my review on cxPulp. Click the link in my sig.
estee
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby JLM » Sat Jan 10, 2015 13:06 +0000

Great finish to the series!
JLM

Postby Maka » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:06 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:
Usagi-Yojimbo wrote:Spoilers!

Awesome end to Senso!

I figured people would either love it or hate it. So far, the reviews have been overwhelmingly in favor of the series and this last chapter.

Dear UYDers,

Put me in the "love it" camp. It was a satisfying end to a great miniseries. Those of us who have read every single Usagi issue were treated to "what happens to the characters we love" ending. That was awesome. Thanks Stan!

I was sad to read that this was the last issue that Diana Schutz would be editting. I wish her luck. I am glad Brendan will be become Stan new editor but I doubt he will be able to strike the fear in Stan to meet deadlines like Diana could. ;).

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:35 +0000

Loved Senso, loved it even though 'Zilla never made an appearance. Have to admit that Usagi Gundam was a much better idea. I do have to say that there was one thing I read in Senso #6 which left me a bit unhappy. We now have to wait until May for the next new issue of Usagi (UY #145) to come out. Geez, May is like two years from now! The wait is going to feel like an eternity! At least, on the bright side, we will have some Groo: Friends and Enemies to help us through these dark dark days......

:D
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Robert Kassebaum » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:19 +0000

I enjoyed Senso #6 (the whole series in fact). The story ended as I thought it would, with a nice twist at the end. :D
Robert Kassebaum

Postby BuckRogers » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:12 +0000

Ohhhhh man! Cannot wait to get issues 4-6. When I was at the comic shop yesterday he said that he could get them for me and I would be able to pick them up within two weeks.

The kids and I are dying to read them. They are really so good.

Also, not sure if it is forum protocol or what but thanks to everyone for not posting any spoilers about these issues as my household literally has no idea of what happens in 4, 5 and 6 and we are so excited to find out when we read them!
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers

Postby maichan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 20:59 +0000

The reading of Senso was worth the wait.

I had waited until I had all 6 issues in hand to read the story in one sitting. Over the past few months I was teased by Stan showing some of the artwork on Facebook, and this forum, and I had even 'peeked' into the issues I had - but I held off on reading the story until today.
Without giving anything away, I'll say that Senso is an excellent adventure. A fantastic tale to be told! The ending, actually made me feel good after feeling so much grief and sadness. Thank you Stan, for spinning such a wonderful story of our beloved Usagi Yojimbo!

Now I can't wait to get the hardcover when it comes out, and see what bonus material you'll be adding.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby BuckRogers » Mon Jan 12, 2015 13:44 +0000

maichan wrote:The reading of Senso was worth the wait.

Now I can't wait to get the hardcover when it comes out, and see what bonus material you'll be adding.

Yes! I read somewhere that they edited out a bunch in the 1-6 issues secondary to limited space. Do the hardcovers ever add in extra pages that were edited out form the single issues? Man, I hope so.
BuckRogers

Postby Stan Sakai » Mon Jan 12, 2015 14:03 +0000

BuckRogers wrote:
Yes! I read somewhere that they edited out a bunch in the 1-6 issues secondary to limited space. Do the hardcovers ever add in extra pages that were edited out form the single issues? Man, I hope so.

I edited the story myself because of page restraints. The earlier drafts included Ino and his daughter, Kitsune, and scenes were different. Tomoe's husband was a later addition and was not in the early drafts. This happens in every story, though. None of these drafts were actually scripted out or drawn, though. I did do, I think, 4 pages to replace 4 in the miniseries. There will be extras in the collection including covers, collection cover sketches and, maybe, a few sketchbook pages.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Swinglin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 19:06 +0000

I don't know if I can get my daughter to read this. She loves Usagi but, she hates sad endings. I think she gets it from my Wife's Father. He makes up his own ending to movies that have a sad ending. "What they didn't show was..." She even hates it when I listen to sad songs.
Swinglin

Postby BuckRogers » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:56 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:

I edited the story myself because of page restraints. The earlier drafts included Ino and his daughter, Kitsune, and scenes were different. Tomoe's husband was a later addition and was not in the early drafts. This happens in every story, though. None of these drafts were actually scripted out or drawn, though. I did do, I think, 4 pages to replace 4 in the miniseries. There will be extras in the collection including covers, collection cover sketches and, maybe, a few sketchbook pages.

Thank you for the insight into your process of creating and publishing! Not being an artist/writer I cannot imagine how hard it must be to limit oneself to a certain defined amount when you feel that the story is asking/leading for more. I read somewhere (facebook I think) about one of your possible story lines being that Kitsune and Gen had married and had a child but that Kitsune had died. Not sure if that is accurate or not, or even if it was for this story line but it was really cool to see what thoughts you have/had for your creations and what has not been done.

Still have 4-6 of Senso to go (not in yet at my local shop) so not sure of all outcomes but I do appreciate your response on my thoughts/ramblings above.
BuckRogers

Postby JLM » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:18 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote: There will be extras in the collection including covers, collection cover sketches and, maybe, a few sketchbook pages.

It would be great if this sketch made it into print. Always makes me smile.

JLM

Postby coolray85 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:13 +0000

hello all you dear friends here;)...
oh man, today I received my copy of the last senso issue with the mail.
I must say the ending is so superb!it is really a remarkable finish in my oppinion, no wonder that diana had to cry(twice).;)
thank you for this mini series, sensei!

p.s. I agree with JLM , this sketch would really make me smile if it turned up in the hardcover...
coolray85

Postby Jubei » Thu Jan 29, 2015 19:25 +0000

A terrific ending to Senso. Usagi's battle against the Martians was a blast to read and such a roller coaster ride of emotions brought about by the last pages, it's been quite awhile since a comic has left me feeling such, thank you Stan. Eagerly awaiting the trade now as well as looking forward to May. :wink:
Jubei

PreviousNext

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum