EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

The UY Wiki

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: The UY Wiki

Postby jabba359 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 23:01 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:I have one main question, how much would it cost (annually) to run the page ad free?

I would be more than willing to contribute funds towards the cost.

All those ads and videos running on the page make my computer freak out and want to crash, not to mention they burn up my (not-so) smart phone's limited monthly hot spot allotment which I use for running my home computer.

I run the AdBlock extension on my browser (Chrome) and have no ads on my desktop or laptop on the wiki. Mobile, on the other hand, has all the ads.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby John Pannozzi » Fri Aug 26, 2016 14:13 +0000

Doesn't signing up for and using a Wikia account make (at least some of) the ads go away?
John Pannozzi
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Maka » Fri Aug 26, 2016 14:55 +0000

There are ad blockers for mobile browsers. I've been using one called 1Blocker (for iOS but android have others). Good luck.

Thanks to John for getting this wiki started again. I nominate John to have his ranking be upgraded.

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Chopalong Slashity » Mon Sep 05, 2016 13:06 +0000

WHOOHOO! Can't wait to help contribute (unless everyone else posts everything before me, which I wouldn't be surprised to see happen :lol: ).
Chopalong Slashity

Postby jabba359 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 15:00 +0000

While I have things in mind to work on for the wiki, are there any specific things that people would like to see added or expanded upon? I'll gladly focus on requests first, otherwise I'll just contribute to whatever random thing I feel like when I have time.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby maichan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:37 +0000

jabba359 wrote:While I have things in mind to work on for the wiki, are there any specific things that people would like to see added or expanded upon? I'll gladly focus on requests first, otherwise I'll just contribute to whatever random thing I feel like when I have time.

Indirect request, probably aimed at someone other than you Jabba....

The Usagi Wiki link at the top of the Dojo leads to the Wikipedia entry for Usagi - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usagi_Yojimbo

The Wikia that I think you guys are working on is different - http://usagistudios.wikia.com/wiki/Usagi_Studios_Wikia

Is one or both considered 'official'?

Can we add a link to the Wikia one?

Same goes for the links on the Usagi Yojimbo site. Maybe Daniel can include the Wikia site.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Warren » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:40 +0000

maichan wrote:The Wikia that I think you guys are working on is different - http://usagistudios.wikia.com/wiki/Usagi_Studios_Wikia

Didn't even know that existed. I'd have to have a browse before offering any suggestions.

What about the link at the bottom of the Dojo page?
Warren

Postby maichan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:49 +0000

Warren wrote:
What about the link at the bottom of the Dojo page?

Oh wow. I didn't notice that. That one does go to the other page.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby jabba359 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 14:32 +0000

Yeah, there are a few "wiki" pages. The Wikipedia link at the top is a single page one, so can't go nearly as in depth. The link at the bottom takes you to the old Usagi Yojimbo wiki, which has fallen into disarray and we were unable to gain access to update it. So the current Wikia version allows us to expand far beyond Wikipedia's limited single page format while giving us the flexibility of the old, broken down wiki.

I have 3 more books to read to be all caught up (28-30), then I plan on rereading the series, but this time around will take time to fill out a story synopsis for each issue (along with character appearances). That's a longer term plan, as it'll take me a while to get through all the books again, and even longer since I'll be creating a database of details. My ultimate plan is to make it so that you can search a character and see all their story/issue appearances, or search an issue and see the cover, brief synopsis, and what characters are in it.

If I had individual issues (I only collected the trades and collections until earlier this year, when I started to buy individual current issues), it would be cool to port over all the letters from fans as well, as they're not collected anywhere else that I'm aware of. Of course, I'd seek permission first before copying the letter sections, as I don't want to overstep my authority or negatively impact the sales of individual issues by making one of their most unique attributes available for free. But that's a consideration for another time, as there's still plenty of other work to keep me occupied for the next couple years, I'd wager.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby maichan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 15:12 +0000

Semi resurrecting this old thread... I was trying to find some info, but no luck yet, so I'm still looking.

But, that brings up another thing.... I had a heck of a time re-finding the UY Wiki.
I'm thinking that if it took me several minutes, how hard is it for new members or non-members to find?

Would there be some way to pin this thread, or make a new pinned thread with the Wiki url, or have a link posted somewhere else?
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby richarddragon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:40 +0000

Did you guys check the 'other' official forum? There's a great episode recap there. Maybe the authors could become interested in cooperating.

http://classiccomics.org/board/58/back-issue-discussion
Now would I cheat a friend?
richarddragon

Postby John Pannozzi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:49 +0000

New URL address and name for the wiki: http://usagiyojimbo.wikia.com/wiki/Usagi_Yojimbo_Wiki

I changed it because the new TV series is sure to attract more interest in the UY series itself.
John Pannozzi

Postby Maka » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 +0000

John Pannozzi wrote:New URL address and name for the wiki: http://usagiyojimbo.wikia.com/wiki/Usagi_Yojimbo_Wiki

I changed it because the new TV series is sure to attract more interest in the UY series itself.

Awesome John! Thanks for determination to get this wiki up to date. Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Steve Hubbell » Wed Feb 07, 2018 17:54 +0000

Steve Hubbell (on the Usagi Yojimbo Dojo Annex forum) wrote:
http://classiccomics.org/thread/5252/of ... lTo=255043

Since the old Usagi wiki was hacked, vandalized and left inaccessible, a new Usagi wiki site was started a while back.

With the announcement of a new Usagi Yojimbo animated series in the works, the need for a good Usagi wiki for all the new fans will be essential.

The new wiki is starting to really take shape but still needs a lot of work. Any Usagi fans here that would be interested in assisting and/or contributing, their help would be much appreciated.

Story synopsis are something which still needs a lot of work......

usagiyojimbo.wikia.com/wiki/Usagi_Yojimbo_Wiki

:)

Shaxper wrote:We've already done a lot of that work here. Might I suggest cutting/pasting?
Steve Hubbell wrote:Sounds great, but didn't want to step on any toes by suggesting such without running the idea by you all first.....

Now to find someone who feels up to doing a lot of cutting and pasting.....

:)

Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Previous

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum