EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

The Usagi Yojimbo Saga

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: The Usagi Yojimbo Saga

Postby maichan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 20:12 +0000

This is why I cross my 7's (European style?)
I was leaning towards a 7, but was thinking there's a small chance it's a 2.
No big deal either way in the grand scheme of things, but it would be nice to know.

For now I'll go with 751.

I will ask the shop if they can find out what #'s the other buyers had.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby jabba359 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 20:22 +0000

Gaffey wrote:Have you ever purchased from them before? If they pack books like Amazon packs books I'll have to pass. I want to be the one to bend the cover. :P

I don't recall how well they pack. I bought my Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Complete Calvin and Hobbes box sets from B&N on previous years and they arrived in good shape.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby jabba359 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 21:47 +0000

jabba359 wrote:In other sale news, Barnes and Noble has a 30% off coupon for today only (30BFRIDAY) that brings the softcover Usagi Yojimbo Special Edition to only $34 shipped plus tax. I've been getting the softcover Sagas for my nephew, but may have to pick this up for him to fill in the pre-Saga stories.

If anyone misses this, Amazon is doing a 30% off any one book code (HOLIDAY30) through the 30th, though with a max of $10 off, so the UY Special Edition would run $37.18.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby jabba359 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:47 +0000

If you haven't bought Saga vol 3 HC, it's only $42 right now. Use the above coupon to get it down to $32.

http://www.amazon.com/Usagi-Yojimbo-Sag ... K5D9C29RVM
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Trevis Woods » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:27 +0000

maichan wrote:Picked up my copy of Saga Book 5 today..... I'm not sure as to the number, and I'd like your opinions - 251 or 751?

I received my copy yesterday and same problem with the numbers...it is either 249 or 749
I know it may be a little petty but it is frustrating to not know for sure what number you have. It makes me wish I had just ordered the AP copy from Stan again like volume 4. However, InStockTrades had the HC and TPB together for $55 so that was tough to pass up a $40-$45 savings.
Did anybody have this problem with the Volume 4 HC's?

It is obvious Stan is signing the page but I would have to assume somebody else is apparently numbering them late on a Friday afternoon right before they want to go home for the week :wink:
Trevis Woods
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Stan Sakai » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:55 +0000

Trevis Woods wrote:
It is obvious Stan is signing the page but I would have to assume somebody else is apparently numbering them late on a Friday afternoon right before they want to go home for the week :wink:

Yes, I do sign the tip-in page but the numbering is done by someone else and always has been. For an edition of 1,000 I may sign as many as 1,250 tip-ins to allow for Artist Proofs, Publisher Proofs and mistakes in printing or binding. It is much easier to number them after they are bound and ready to be shipped to the distributors.

Personally, they look like "2"s to me. Maybe someone has a "7" we can compare it with.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby maichan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:24 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:
Trevis Woods wrote:

Yes, I do sign the tip-in page but the numbering is done by someone else and always has been. For an edition of 1,000 I may sign as many as 1,250 tip-ins to allow for Artist Proofs, Publisher Proofs and mistakes in printing or binding. It is much easier to number them after they are bound and ready to be shipped to the distributors.

That's a lot of signatures! I get tired after just a few when filling out forms. It's easy to see why you recently decided to forego the head sketches.

How many pages do you usually sign at a time? Or , how long does it take to sign all the Saga printings (for a single volume)?

Stan Sakai wrote:Personally, they look like "2"s to me. Maybe someone has a "7" we can compare it with.

I was going to ask something similar.... anyone have a book with obvious 2's or 7's, or both?

This morning after taking some quick notes at work, I noticed my own 2's do look somewhat similar to this possible 2, but not as extreme.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Stan Sakai » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:00 +0000

maichan wrote:How many pages do you usually sign at a time? Or , how long does it take to sign all the Saga printings (for a single volume)?

When I did head sketches, it would take a full week to do all the tip-in plates for a book. Actually longer because the HC print runs have been increased to 1500 copies. I have to do about 1750 tip-in plates for that. When you factor that there is the yearly volume as well as 3-4 Saga hardcovers, that is a whole month or more spent signing. I could use that time actually working on a story.

It takes 3 days just to sign the plates for each HC.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby maichan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:27 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:
maichan wrote:How many pages do you usually sign at a time? Or , how long does it take to sign all the Saga printings (for a single volume)?

When I did head sketches, it would take a full week to do all the tip-in plates for a book. Actually longer because the HC print runs have been increased to 1500 copies. I have to do about 1750 tip-in plates for that. When you factor that there is the yearly volume as well as 3-4 Saga hardcovers, that is a whole month or more spent signing. I could use that time actually working on a story.

It takes 3 days just to sign the plates for each HC.

Thank you for your feedback Sensei. :)
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Maka » Tue Dec 01, 2015 18:11 +0000

I just picked up Saga #5. I believe I have a 7 in my number. Sorry for the large photo. I'm still trying to figure out photo bucket (michael, I did try to your upload suggestion but it isn't working).

On a different saga note, I decided to order limited edition Saga #4 direct from Stan. I just Facebook messaged the LCBS owner, who is also a friend, to cancel my order. I feel a little inconsistent not supporting local business. I know, first world problems. :roll:

On the other hand, it feels good to support Stan. Life is full of conflicting values. :lol:

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby maichan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:51 +0000

Thank you Maka!

Well, with that image, I'm going to change my mind and say mine is a 2, so now I have 251.

Maybe more owners will chime in with more photos so we can get a better sampling. :wink:

I've been on the same boat about where to get my next Saga edition. While I am all for supporting my LCBS, I am just as much all for supporting our favorite artist directly.... decisions, decisions... :roll:

:arrow: P.S. - what method did you use to size your photo? Change the upload setting, or edit after you uploaded? PM me and let me know.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Stan Sakai » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:59 +0000

Maka wrote:I decided to order limited edition Saga #4 direct from Stan. I just Facebook messaged the LCBS owner, who is also a friend, to cancel my order. I feel a little inconsistent not supporting local business. I know, first world problems. :roll:

On the other hand, it feels good to support Stan. Life is full of conflicting values. :lol:

Peace, maka

Thank you but, by supporting the LCBS, you also help to support me and help to continue the publication of Usagi Yojimbo.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Maka » Wed Dec 02, 2015 13:52 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote: Thank you but, by supporting the LCBS, you also help to support me and help to continue the publication of Usagi Yojimbo.

Thanks Stan, that is a good reminder. Almost everything I buy, comic-wise, is at the LCBS. For whatever reason, my store had trouble getting me UY Saga #4. I bought saga 1-3, 5 and the recent giant UY full size artwork book at the LCBS. I appreciate the reminder that supporting local business helps my community and the artist.

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Swinglin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:48 +0000

If you don't have a LCBS, as I don't, buying from Mr Sakai is a great option. I ordered the first three from Amazon with only Saga Book 1 showing up in good condition. I now pay more (regular price) for AP copies from Mr Sakai that show up in great condition. He put a sketch in the front and a small sketch in the back of my Volume 5. I'm sure this is only an occasional thing as my Volume 4 AP copy was like the others. But hey, you never can tell.

I still order a paperback copy from Amazon for my daughter, as she is VERY rough on books.

Mr Sakai- For those of us without a LCBS, what is the most supportive way to purchase your books?
Swinglin
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby jabba359 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 17:17 +0000

Got my Saga book 5 today. No number 7 or 2 in my numbering, so no additional clarity on that. I think the person numbering this latest batch is putting in the minimal amount of effort to get the job done, as my number is pretty sloppy. Oh well. I look forward to seeing Stan so I can get a sketch in this book as well.
Attachments
Saga book 5.jpg
Saga book 5.jpg (144.38 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
-Kyle
jabba359

PreviousNext

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum