EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Welcome New Members to the Usagi Yojimbo Dojoboard Forums

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: Welcome New Members to the Usagi Yojimbo Dojoboard Forum

Postby Mayhem » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:43 +0000

With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby DCMxyzptlk » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:58 +0000

I walked into my friendly local comic shop on Wednesday and said "tell me about Usagi Yojimbo," to which he replied, "it's one of my favorite titles of all time." (We're about the same age and have each been reading comics for +/- 40 years.)

So here's my dilemma - I can get my hands on a copy of Saga #2 (which I understand is hard to find) and can order the rest through my local store. That would satisfy my desire to read everything ASAP, but in the long run I think I'd like the color IDW version a bit more. My budget won't really allow both versions, so I'm not sure what to do.
DCMxyzptlk
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Maka » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:03 +0000

DCMxyzptlk wrote:I walked into my friendly local comic shop on Wednesday and said "tell me about Usagi Yojimbo," to which he replied, "it's one of my favorite titles of all time." (We're about the same age and have each been reading comics for +/- 40 years.)

So here's my dilemma - I can get my hands on a copy of Saga #2 (which I understand is hard to find) and can order the rest through my local store. That would satisfy my desire to read everything ASAP, but in the long run I think I'd like the color IDW version a bit more. My budget won't really allow both versions, so I'm not sure what to do.

Some options:

Local library may have copies or do inter library loans.
Digital access via hoopladigital.com (access with your local library card). My library hoopla has all the Usagi books, even fantagraphics Usagi Yojimbo vol 1 series to check out for 21 days for free. It’s worthy a try. Hoopla also has an mobile app that is easy to use. Then you can read the books for free now and then buy them as they are released in color later.

What a great time you are in for. Let us know what you think as you start to discover the world of Usagi!

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby DCMxyzptlk » Fri Apr 12, 2019 18:51 +0000

Thanks Maka! I did find them on hoopla and have decided that those (and the new series) will hold me over until the color versions are available. :)

Also, big thanks to Steve for helping me resolve my registration issues!
DCMxyzptlk

Postby DCMxyzptlk » Wed Apr 17, 2019 16:32 +0000

I decided I couldn't wait for the new versions :D

IMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4241.JPG (206.88 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
DCMxyzptlk

Postby Maka » Wed Apr 17, 2019 16:52 +0000

Dear DCM,

That is a good decision! You will be glad you did, just watch. :)

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby DCMxyzptlk » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:38 +0000

My family is moving soon, so we've been scouring furniture stores, antique stores, and flea markets for stuff to fill our new abode. Found this guy a while ago for $7, and my youngest did yard work and other chores to earn him!
Attachments
IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_4242.JPG (115.34 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
DCMxyzptlk

Postby UKUsagiFan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:54 +0000

Well, guess I ought to say hello now I've made an account (been lurking a little while). So hello all. :)

I'm a fairly new fan of Usagi - I loved him as a child in the 2003 TMNT series (have him & Gen figures), and he was my favourite "guest star". I didn't know about Usagi's own comic book until last year though. [For shame, I know :( ]
I only found out by accident - I saw the Usagi paperback special edition in a charity shop window, and recognised Usagi instantly. When I enquired about buying it, I found out some lunatic had parted not only with that, but with volume 1 (paperback), volumes 2-7 + Legends in their Hardcover version. Still shrink-wrapped! There was even sketchbook 10 in the paperback special. CRAZY.
I had my wallet out faster than Usagi can unsheathe his blade! £43 for the lot (approx. $55 USD).

I thoroughly enjoyed them, and have expanded my collection a little - both Gallery editions, the HC special edition (I have the orange-y side facing out on the shelf), 2 X TMNT/Usagi books, and the Art & Project books. Loved every moment pouring over them. Already have HC8 on pre-order to keep the collection going.

Anyway, probably wandering off-topic. Hello Dojo folk, look forward to getting to know you all better. ^_^
And on the off-chance Stan himself is reading. I know it's cliché - but keep up the good work. Well, good work is an understatement, impeccable work is more apt.
UKUsagiFan

Postby Stan Sakai » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:02 +0000

Thank you, UKUsagiFan.

Welcome to the Dojo!
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby jabba359 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:12 +0000

Welcome to the Dojo, UKUsagiFan! That's quite the deal you landed on that UY Saga collection! I hope you enjoy your time here. :D
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby maichan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:49 +0000

Konnichiwa UKUsagiFan!
Welcome to the Dojo.
That's a great story, and introduction to the world of Usagi!
Have a seat and stay for a while... I think you'll enjoy your time here. :D
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Mayhem » Sun Apr 28, 2019 13:10 +0000

Blimey, that's a pretty sure fire bargain given the price asked was less than two of the Saga hardcovers new! :shock:

Anyhow welcome... hopefully as you've seen, Stan does frequent these parts ;)

There's a few of us lurking around the UK, always good to add another one to the fold heh. As said, if you have any questions, just ask!
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby Maka » Sun Apr 28, 2019 15:50 +0000

Welcome to the Dojo, UKUsagiFan!

Great story of deal. You already have more cool Usagi merch than the majority of Usagi fans. The Sagas are great. Congratulations!

Look forward to seeing you around here and hearing your adventures with Usagi, Stan, and the rest of this motley dojo crew.

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby tylersticka » Fri May 17, 2019 21:59 +0000

Hi, everyone! :)

I've been a fan of Usagi Yojimbo since finding a second-hand copy of Fantagraphics #12 as a kid. I've been reading ever since, I've met Stan a handful of times at conventions, and I had my letter printed in Senso #5, but for whatever reason I've only ever lurked in these forums until today.

In anticipation of the series starting up again soon, I decided I'd re-read the entire series in the order it was printed. I'm nearly finished, and I think my favorite story this time around has been "Chanoyu." I remember enjoying it before, but there's something about re-reading it with the entirety of Usagi and Tomoe's relationship in recent memory that amplified the story's impact for me.
tylersticka

Postby Maka » Sat May 18, 2019 9:33 +0000

Welcome to the Dojo, Tylersticka! A great idea to read through the entire series to prepare for the new IDW issues/stories. I floated the idea of doing an Usagi Book Club events on FB dojo page. Maybe you have inspired me to look back into it.

I can’t wait to see it in color. It will something new on a new story.

Enjoy your time here. The people in this dojo are the best. Peace, maka
Maka

PreviousNext

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum