EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Welcome New Members to the Usagi Yojimbo Dojoboard Forums

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: Welcome New Members to the Usagi Yojimbo Dojoboard Forum

Postby TankPolice96 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:02 +0000

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the Dojo! I loved seeing Usagi in the 2003 TMNT series and was ecstatic to find out years later that he had his own comic and universe! Whenever I saw him, I always wondered why they put so much detail into a minor recurring character lol!
I tried reading the comics around my first year of university but fell off the wagon. Recently while I was working in Doha, Qatar I decided to give it another shot and I've read everything published up till now including Senso.

I've been trying to get on this forum for months because I'm just dying got to discuss this comic.
Last edited by TankPolice96 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:06 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
TankPolice96
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby jabba359 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:08 +0000

Welcome to the forum and we're glad to have you!

I was also introduced to Usagi by the TMNT cartoon (the 1987 version). I had the action figures back then, but never thought that Usagi might have his own comic book series, so when I got back into comics about 7 years ago and saw that there was indeed a comic book, I decided to give it a read based off my own nostalgic memories and the positive reviews for the series. I spent the money to get the hardcover Special Edition (it was a lot more affordable back then) and finished it in no time. Within about a month, I had tracked down all the trade paperbacks and, not wanting to reach the end, paced myself by reading one every couple months. I finally got all caught up to date just last year except for Space Usagi, which I haven't read yet.

I hope you enjoy your time here! :D
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Thu Oct 24, 2019 13:52 +0000

Welcome to the UY Dojo, Jade, and sorry for the delay in having your account activated. Always happy to see Usagi being discovered in new regions around the world. Maybe if you convince enough friends to start reading it, we might see a Lebanese translation published. :)
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby maichan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 14:23 +0000

Hello Jade, and welcome to the Dojo.

It's nice to see our international family grow!
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Maka » Thu Oct 24, 2019 15:06 +0000

Welcome to the dojo, Jade! So glad you found us. We are the Usagi fans who enjoy, just like you, discussing everything Usagi/Stan Sakai related. Enjoy your time here and I look forward to interacting with you here.

I hope you are safe and continue to be so. I don't know what the expat (do you consider yourself an expat?) experience is like in your neck of the world. But I hope you are enjoy it too.

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Stan Sakai » Thu Oct 24, 2019 17:44 +0000

Welcome, Jade. It is always great to find a new reader and new member of the Dojo. This is a wonderful, supportive community.

Stay safe in Lebanon.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby TankPolice96 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 23:40 +0000

I've only been to the US twice (and one of those times was when I was born :P), so I don't have much of a connection to it and don't consider my self an ex-pat. I consider Lebanon my home. My parents aren't American. Only me and my sister are.

About translating Usagi, some fun facts:

- Anime is extremely popular in the Middle East (especially Lebanon) where we have a yearly anime convention.

- Lebanon is an Arab and Francophone country (it's a former French colony). So it would need to be translated into Arabic or French, but most Lebanese are trilingual and speak English, French, & Arabic (I can only speak English and Arabic).

- Lebanese Armenians can speak a fourth language Armenian and plenty of Lebanese have ties to Latin America so they can speak either Portuguese or Spanish. So I think we're covered on the translations :p.

- There are around 400 million Arabic speakers which makes it the fifth most spoken language in the world. However, I don't think it'll sell well, as most people tend to pirate everything and the Middle East has ridiculously high piracy rates. Sadly, Arabs don't reach much and if they do it's usually British or American books in English and in Lebanon they usually read books in French too.

- Whenever I see Arabs reading, they usually have an English-translated manga volume in their hands. :)
TankPolice96

Postby Mayhem » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:17 +0000

Welcome! I don't think we've had any Usagi fans from that part of the world before. Glad to hear you love the comic. And I get the name reference, I used to watch it when it was released on home video in the 90s here in the UK.
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby TankPolice96 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:04 +0000

Yeah DMT is a classic! They don't make 'em like they used to.

Hopefully, more of my friends will join the fandom soon!
TankPolice96

Postby maichan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:31 +0000

How neat!

So, since I think Usagi has been translated into French already (Steve?), and since you speak English & Arabic, I assume you don't read French and would have been reading the English editions of Usagi Yojimbo? :roll:

Where and how did your get your books? Amazon? Ebay? Local comic book store (are there any?)? Or have you gone digital?
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby TankPolice96 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 23:54 +0000

Comixology.
Shipping to Lebanon is insanely pricey! 20$ markup! Amazon Prime isn't available here. I'm waiting for my relatives to visit from the US so I can buy a Slab City print. I'd like to frame it and hang it up in my room.
TankPolice96

Previous

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum