EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Welcome New Members to the Usagi Yojimbo Dojoboard Forums

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: Welcome New Members to the Usagi Yojimbo Dojoboard Forum

Postby Stan Sakai » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:36 +0000

Welcome, Masterless Samurai. The Dojo is a wonderful and very supportive community.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Masterless Samurai » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:45 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:Welcome, Masterless Samurai. The Dojo is a wonderful and very supportive community.

Thank you very much Sensei! :)
"It is not important to be better than someone else, but to be better than yesterday."
Masterless Samurai
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby oak » Mon Aug 08, 2016 14:43 +0000

Hey guys new member from NYC here.

Ive been encouraging my son to read instead of space out in front of the tv so I bought him a TMNT graphic novel a few weeks ago. Needless to say he has fallen in love and we are now going every Sunday to pick up a new one. Anyway walking home from the comic shop yesterday I was trying to recall other comics I used to love as a kid. I txted one of my childhood friends asking "wasnt there like a samurai rabbit similar to the tmnt comics that we used to love?" Lucky for my he remembered the name Usagi Yojimbo!!! My buddy has the absolute worst memory but somehow he still remembered.

I was a huge Usagi fan as a young boy. He was my absolute favorite comic even more so than tmnt or marvel. Now that I have started recalling my Usagi days I can still remember walking to St Marks comics to check for new issues. I had the first issue that ever came out and countless others until I stopped collecting. Wish I knew what happened to them.

I'll be ordering the entire series for my son but I cant lie I am so pumped about rediscovering Usagi. Its been a long time since I was this excited about reading anything. Im glad Usagi is still around and doing well and that there is a nice community still supporting its creator. Thank you for giving me such fond memories.
oak

Postby Mayhem » Mon Aug 08, 2016 15:09 +0000

Welcome :)

The softcover Fantagraphics collection, and the recent Dark Horse Saga collections mean that it's even easier and budget conscious to get into Usagi today. In fact, based on Amazon.com prices, you can order all of them mentioned for $150. Not bad for 30 years worth of comics!

You might then consider using some of the money "saved" towards a piece of original art heh...
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby maichan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 19:57 +0000

Welcome back to the world or Usagi!
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Maka » Mon Aug 08, 2016 22:41 +0000

Welcome to the dojo too! Enjoy the family discovery of old and new Usagi tales. Peace, maka
Maka

Postby johnsonk513 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 15:59 +0000

I wanted to thank everyone here for being so welcoming. I recently joined the dojo after finally discovering the greatness of Usagi. I have been reading/collecting comics since the '80s but for whatever reason never picked up an issue of this wonderful series. I have become more and more turned off with the "Big Two" and began looking around for something new, and I am so glad I gave Usagi a shot. I am working my way through the series and will make it to issue 100 tonight. It has been a couple months since I began but it feels like only yesterday. I think this is one of those books that as soon as I finish, I will be starting over and working through them all again. Anyway, thanks to everyone here and especially thanks to Mr. Sakai for creating this wonderful world, character and story.
~Karl
johnsonk513

Postby BuckRogers » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:31 +0000

johnsonk513 wrote:I wanted to thank everyone here for being so welcoming. I recently joined the dojo after finally discovering the greatness of Usagi. I have been reading/collecting comics since the '80s but for whatever reason never picked up an issue of this wonderful series. I have become more and more turned off with the "Big Two" and began looking around for something new, and I am so glad I gave Usagi a shot. I am working my way through the series and will make it to issue 100 tonight. It has been a couple months since I began but it feels like only yesterday. I think this is one of those books that as soon as I finish, I will be starting over and working through them all again. Anyway, thanks to everyone here and especially thanks to Mr. Sakai for creating this wonderful world, character and story.

Yes! Same with me. I started in the world of comics in the '80's but never was fortunate enough to discover Usagi until a few years ago.

Now it is pretty much the only comic I collect regularly. I admit I have been getting the new Star Wars spin off comics and those have been fun but nothing is a real and true to me now except Usagi.
The Credit Belongs to the Man Who is Actually in the Arena ....
BuckRogers

Postby Warren » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:40 +0000

I guess I should've started off here! Hello everyone! I'm Warren, from Northern Ireland. My UY fandom story is pretty much like Johnson and Buck, here. I was vaguely aware of Usagi from the first TMNT cartoon (never saw the episode but noticed the action figure) until a copy of Previews somehow fell into my hands and there he was, again. It was 'only' pages 3 and 4 of the colour story The Green Persimmon, and the Dark Horse listings, but it was enough to show me that Usagi Yojimbo was a whole ongoing series and world, independent of the TMNT, and something that I might like.
Though I couldn't do much more about it until I eventually found a comic shop (the only American comics in newsagents were a limited selection of British reprints of Marvel) and eventually saw a copy of UY #78 on the shelf. That's where my avatar's from. It confirmed what I'd thought earlier (this is something I'd like) and it wasn't too long before I started a pull list with UY as one of the first titles on it. Then, as mentioned elsewhere, I became more and more dissatisfied with Marvel and DC, and my pull list dwindled to only UY. It's my last foothold in comics, and hopefully a kind of a 'home base' where I can explore comics in a different direction from the big two.

Why do I like UY? A couple of reasons. I already had a mild interest in feudal Japanese culture, partly due to Akira Kurosawa's influence on western films (in a couple of different senses of the word 'western') so that was a hook. Also, not a direct comparison, but I get a similar feeling to when I first read The Hobbit, or the Tintin and Asterix albums I borrowed from the library when I was a kid. High adventure within grand vistas, in a world much like but notably different to our own; action, intrigue, skulduggery, humour, introspection, romance, horror, pathos, joy, exploration of said Japanese culture, and very likeable characters; all wrapped up in masterful sequential-art storytelling, and a very distinct and enjoyable drawing style. I don't wonder that Stan has the title sensei, here. :)
Warren

Postby Maka » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:25 +0000

Welcome to the Dojo, Warren. It is very cool that you discovered Usagi through TMNT and Previews. As we continue to say, "This is the best comics forum on the internet." Check out the different threads, comment, or start your own. You will find friendly people here, including Stan Sakai! :)

As you may have read Usagi is coming back to TMNT in the future. Hopefully we will get new Usagi fans, like you, through that. Enjoy! Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Randy Clute » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:16 +0000

Hi! I am Randy Clute, and I just joined the dojo last night. I am a frequent reader of Usagi Yojimbo, and I am just the biggest fan of Stan Sakai. Though I have not posted on the boards before just now, I have been mentioned on them at the beginning of 2015, when Stan Sakai reviewed my portfolio at Planet Comicon and it ended up on the Kansas City Star's website here: http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... 74199.html (image 4).

Artist Stan Sakai (left) reviews the portfolio and gives advice to Randy Clute, 14, of Aledo, Texas while attending Planet Comicon at Bartle Hall on Friday, March 13, 2015 in Kansas City, Missouri. Randy Clute traveled all the way from Texas to meet Mr. Sakai who he considers his idol. Randy has only been drawing for two years and received high praise from Mr. Sakai.
Brian Davidson - Special to the Star

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... rylink=cpy

Stan Sakai is the reason that I became ambitious about my artwork, and he is why I have chosen to draw comics (God-willing) for my career. The first ever drawing I did that ever got "ooh's" and "ah's" was a copied drawing from The Art of Usagi Yojimbo hardcover in sixth grade. Since then I have drawn fervently in an attempt to improve and have fun. I hope to get to see Stan Sakai in person again this coming spring, and show him how much his advice has helped not only my funny animal drawings, but everything I have ever drawn.

Anyway, I am looking forward to contributing to the dojoboards more and more as time goes by, so I thank the moderators for setting up a secure and safe environment!

Have a blessed day,
Randy Clute
Have a blessed day,
Randy Clute
Randy Clute

Postby maichan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:42 +0000

Welcome to the Dojo Randy and Warren! You've certainly come to the right place for all things Usagi & Stan. Enjoy your stay, and join in on the discussions! :D
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Warren » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:54 +0000

Thanks all! Hello Randy. Great photo - makes me a bit jealous. :)
Warren

Postby Mayhem » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:32 +0000

Welcome Randy :)

Now that was a bit of a trek. Not quite as far as some of those I've made to the US (and I've met Stan both times he's been to the UK), but you'll have to ask Stan nicely to visit Texas at some point so you don't have to go as far next time ;)

If you've got any examples of your work you'd like to share, then feel free to post a topic in "Off Topic" about them :)
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby Randy Clute » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:48 +0000

Warren wrote:Thanks all! Hello Randy. Great photo - makes me a bit jealous. :)

Thank you!
Have a blessed day,
Randy Clute
Randy Clute

PreviousNext

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum