EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Usagi Merchandise and Prints!

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Usagi Merchandise and Prints!

Postby dhfujii » Sat Feb 06, 2016 14:12 +0000

Hi Dojo Members,

Two things.

- I'm working on releasing new Usagi "stuff" and wanted to know what you guys would like to see/what would do well?

- As for prints, I want to release a series of these. Any particular pictures that you like? I want to do one of the Senso cover. It's made for a print.

Does anyone know any quality printers for prints? I want only the best for Usagi.

Thanks!

Daniel
dhfujii
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: Usagi Merchandise and Prints!

Postby Lobster Johnson » Sat Feb 06, 2016 15:11 +0000

I'm not sure how popular this would be, but I'd love to see a Sasuke action figure/statue. I have a couple TMNT action figures of Usagi, but I'd love to have a demon queller figure for him to team up with.
One recent trivia contest asked what Usagi merchandise us fans would like to see. (Here it is: http://usagiyojimbo.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7670.) So far, I haven't really seen many Usagi figures that are that close to Stan's art style (besides the Roku toys statues), so my suggestion was a line of action figures based off of Stan's art style, maybe even in black and white like the comics are (DC comics has lines of action figures based off of specific artists' styles, like Darwyn Cooke and Greg Capullo, which is where my idea came from). I'm not sure whether these would be popular or not, but I know I would buy them. Hopefully Sasuke would be among the action figures, too (with swords, magic bow, and evil Sumi set). :D
For prints, almost any cover would work, but I think the UY Saga covers could make great prints. I also think these covers in particular would work well: #134 ("Toad Oil"), the cover to vol. 24 ("The Return of the Black Soul"; the creepiest UY cover ever!), and #125 (maybe my favorite cover ever).
I hope this helps. I'll try to think of more ideas, too.
Lobster Johnson
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby jabba359 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 17:51 +0000

I'd also check out this thread where we were wishing for various merchandise: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7357

As for things that I'd love to see:
  • Usagi towel (hand towel or kitchen towel)
  • Chop hat (even a re-release of the old grey one would be fine)
  • I like Lobster's idea for some figures or statues of some sort (I'd take an Usagi and a Gen, at the minimum)
  • Plushies!
  • Usagi-themed deck of playing cards
  • And for something cheap and easy, maybe a few different vinyl stickers. They don't even need to be printed stickers, but the simple vinyl cut kind, like a "chop" logo, Usagi head, etc.

Regarding prints, here are my thoughts:
  • Senso wraparound covers of #3, 4, or 5 (black and white inked line art versions would be awesome, but I'd buy the final colored versions as well)
  • Issue #134 cover has long been a favorite of mine
  • Saga vol.6 cover
  • a photo-collage of all UY covers released so far

You should get in touch with Rob Duenas, an artist friend of mine. He sells lots of prints and has a good hookup on a quality printmaker (who can also do prints in metallic ink, which are pretty incredible looking), so he can probably point you in the right direction. You can contact him at: robert@sketchrob.com
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby dhfujii » Sat Feb 06, 2016 19:13 +0000

I'm not sure how popular this would be, but I'd love to see a Sasuke action figure/statue. I have a couple TMNT action figures of Usagi, but I'd love to have a demon queller figure for him to team up with.
One recent trivia contest asked what Usagi merchandise us fans would like to see. (Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7670.) So far, I haven't really seen many Usagi figures that are that close to Stan's art style (besides the Roku toys statues), so my suggestion was a line of action figures based off of Stan's art style, maybe even in black and white like the comics are (DC comics has lines of action figures based off of specific artists' styles, like Darwyn Cooke and Greg Capullo, which is where my idea came from). I'm not sure whether these would be popular or not, but I know I would buy them. Hopefully Sasuke would be among the action figures, too (with swords, magic bow, and evil Sumi set). :D
For prints, almost any cover would work, but I think the UY Saga covers could make great prints. I also think these covers in particular would work well: #134 ("Toad Oil"), the cover to vol. 24 ("The Return of the Black Soul"; the creepiest UY cover ever!), and #125 (maybe my favorite cover ever).
I hope this helps. I'll try to think of more ideas, too

Yeah, a Sasuke statue is long due! I am currently speaking with someone who wants to do figurines for Usagi. Can't say much yet, but he's done some EXCELLENT work before for a known company that does these sorts of things.

As for the cover, oh man, the vol. 24 would be great!! That would make a good t-shirt too.
dhfujii

Postby dhfujii » Sat Feb 06, 2016 19:21 +0000

I'd also check out this thread where we were wishing for various merchandise: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7357

As for things that I'd love to see:
Usagi towel (hand towel or kitchen towel)
Chop hat (even a re-release of the old grey one would be fine)
I like Lobster's idea for some figures or statues of some sort (I'd take an Usagi and a Gen, at the minimum)
Plushies!
Usagi-themed deck of playing cards
And for something cheap and easy, maybe a few different vinyl stickers. They don't even need to be printed stickers, but the simple vinyl cut kind, like a "chop" logo, Usagi head, etc.

Regarding prints, here are my thoughts:
Senso wraparound covers of #3, 4, or 5 (black and white inked line art versions would be awesome, but I'd buy the final colored versions as well)
Issue #134 cover has long been a favorite of mine
Saga vol.6 cover
a photo-collage of all UY covers released so far

You should get in touch with Rob Duenas, an artist friend of mine. He sells lots of prints and has a good hookup on a quality printmaker (who can also do prints in metallic ink, which are pretty incredible looking), so he can probably point you in the right direction. You can contact him at: robert@sketchrob.com

Hey, those are some great ideas!

- I think I can do hand towels with my equipment, I should try it out! Any favorite pictures?
- Yes! That's also long due. My machine supposedly can do hats but I don't have the attachment. I'll have to put this on my list.
- Covered that in the above post.
- Hahaha, definitely! I want to do a Chibi Usagi Yojimbo plush!!! If you follow RWBY, they are doing that now too. Chibi is getting popular now, and my other company (CIM) will be capitalizing on that soon too! We have some good things planned. Definitely want to integrate the Chibi Usagi Yojimbo world. I mean, Teen Titans have one, Hellboy has one, X-men has babies, it's Usagi's turn now too! Perhaps another batch of the Usagi plushie is in order too. I want it to look more like Usagi though. So I'm not sure.
- Hey, that's a good idea! Should be pretty easy to license.
- Yes, stickers are a definite need! I want to do them with my Mom's designs as well, so I'll end up figuring this out to kill two birds with one stone.

Yeah! The Senso series has beautiful covers. Thanks for the e-mail address, I'll contact him!
dhfujii

Postby Trevis Woods » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:58 +0000

dhfujii wrote:Hi Dojo Members,

Two things.

- I'm working on releasing new Usagi "stuff" and wanted to know what you guys would like to see/what would do well?

- As for prints, I want to release a series of these. Any particular pictures that you like? I want to do one of the Senso cover. It's made for a print.

Does anyone know any quality printers for prints? I want only the best for Usagi.

Thanks!

Daniel

I would love to see a print set of the endpaper artwork in the HC editions. These are obviously rare and not everybody has even seen them. Some are printed in the sketchbooks but to have an endpaper print set would be wonderful.
Trevis Woods

Postby Lobster Johnson » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:23 +0000

Trevis Woods wrote:
dhfujii wrote:Hi Dojo Members,

Two things.

Thanks!

Daniel

I would love to see a print set of the endpaper artwork in the HC editions. These are obviously rare and not everybody has even seen them. Some are printed in the sketchbooks but to have an endpaper print set would be wonderful.

That's a good idea. The endpapers are really cool.
Lobster Johnson

Postby Lobster Johnson » Thu Feb 11, 2016 14:03 +0000

I've been reorganizing my sanctum sanctorum/comic room lately, and I realized that I don't really have anything Usagi related to go on my walls (I don't want to hang my original art up, as it's not framed). I think Usagi prints are a great idea, as I would love to have something UY-related to put on my wall.
Lobster Johnson

Postby Maka » Thu Feb 11, 2016 14:24 +0000

I would like a print of as many Usagi characters as kids. I think it would be fun to see the personalities play out in the drawings. And who doesn't like baby animals. :)

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Lobster Johnson » Thu Feb 11, 2016 16:38 +0000

How about some Usagi Yojimbo bust banks? (Similar in size and material to this cool Batman one: http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Select-Toys-Batman-Animated/dp/B00VLQEJ3G/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1455233353&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=batman+the+animated+series+bust+bank).
I have the MechaGodzilla one, and it's one of my favorite collectibles. At my local comic book store, they have quite a few of these, and I think they would be a neat piece of UY merchandise. They're relatively inexpensive, but still well-crafted. I'm not sure how well they work for actually keeping money in, as MechaGodzilla is only used for display (and occasionally fighting The Shadow).
Lobster Johnson

Postby Jubei » Thu Feb 11, 2016 20:23 +0000

Hats, any kind of hat really for my ever-growing hat collection. A type of beanie may even be nice too.
Jubei

Postby Lobster Johnson » Thu Feb 11, 2016 21:12 +0000

Jubei wrote:Hats, any kind of hat really for my ever-growing hat collection. A type of beanie may even be nice too.

Like this? :wink:
calvin-imagination.jpg
calvin-imagination.jpg (71.9 KiB) Viewed 7478 times
Lobster Johnson

Postby dhfujii » Thu Feb 11, 2016 23:19 +0000

Those are all great ideas! I contacted the guy who I order from regarding printing stuff, so I should here back from him fairly soon about a machine that does hats. I might actually outsource it, maybe even have him do it. Haha. It just depends on the price breakdown.

Great idea regarding the prints! I haven't been able to get in touch with Robert yet, but I will continue to look around for prints. We're going to the SD con, so I'm thinking of talking to the other vendors. I like the baby ideas! It would be neat to see Usagi in different age groups. There's figuratively a TON of things that could be created in the UY world. Guess the first priority would be creating a cloning machine for Stan.

The bust bank is intriguing. I've never thought of that before! Wonder if I could 3D print those? 3D printing is getting so advanced nowadays. If I could work with someone who designs and knows how to render things in CAD it could be a possibility. I've had to deal with that sort of thing for my other project, so I have some experience with it. I'll play around with the ideas more in my head.

Anyway, I forgot if I mentioned, but there is a guy who is a big Usagi fan, that just left a sizeable company that does toys/figurines. He contacted us to see if we can collaborate. He has lots of ideas as well! I think Stan's legal guy is reviewing it, so I'll keep you guys posted!
dhfujii

Postby dhfujii » Thu Feb 11, 2016 23:21 +0000

LOL I love Calvin and Hobbes! You know, with Usagi's long ears, I wonder if we could design something aerodynamic like that? Hahaha.
dhfujii

Postby OnitsukaTiger » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:26 +0000

I would love to see new action figures. Something with more detail and articulation than the Antarctic Press Toys figure. NECA did an excellent job with the comic-inspired TMNT figures from a few years ago. Even better if the Usagi figure was in scale with them! S.H. Figuarts and Medicom's MAFEX line are also really amazing.The 1:12 (6") figure scale is my preferred size. It fits in with a lot of stuff out there, is just big enough to have a good degree of detail, and is small enough to still be affordable. I'd love to have an entire line of figures to I can get Gen, Tomoe, Jei, etc. but I recognize that doing just Usagi is probably the most viable option.

An Usagi-themed tea set. Perhaps integrating his robe colors and clan symbol? I recently read the tea-ceremony story and I am a huge tea drinker. This would be awesome.

Tea towels with the same blue coloring and clan symbol would be neat.

I'd love to have Usagi's robe/shirt. I'm not sure what that is actually called but it would be fun to wear around the house or for cosplay.

Vinyl window stickers of his clan symbol for my car.
OnitsukaTiger

Next

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum