EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Usagi Merchandise and Prints!

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: Usagi Merchandise and Prints!

Postby OnitsukaTiger » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:46 +0000

OnitsukaTiger wrote:An Usagi-themed tea set. Perhaps integrating his robe colors and clan symbol? I recently read the tea-ceremony story and I am a huge tea drinker. This would be awesome.

The tea pot and cups could be white with two stripes: a black stripe with a blue stripe above it that has black dots with a subtle clan logo placed somewhere. A sort of visual representation of Usagi in cup form.
OnitsukaTiger
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby jabba359 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:50 +0000

dhfujii wrote:Great idea regarding the prints! I haven't been able to get in touch with Robert yet, but I will continue to look around for prints. We're going to the SD con, so I'm thinking of talking to the other vendors.

Weird, I talked with Rob last Wednesday and he said he was planning on emailing you that night. He had Amazing Phoenix Con this weekend, so perhaps he got caught up preparing for that. Anyway, I hope you find a good source for convention prints.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby shaxper » Sun Feb 14, 2016 14:03 +0000

I would love more Usagi t-shirt options, especially one depicting Usagi in a more quiet/contemplative repose -- perhaps walking in a rainstorm or in the snow, or smiling while walking with Jotoro or Gen. Usagi in action is only part of the charm of the series, after all ;)
shaxper

Postby OnitsukaTiger » Sun Feb 14, 2016 19:56 +0000

In addition to Usagi's normal ronin outfit I'd love to see an action figure of him in his full samurai armor with a removable helmet and a full complement of weapons.
OnitsukaTiger

Postby dhfujii » Tue Feb 16, 2016 17:47 +0000

Good news! I heard from Rob and he gave me a good website he uses! Okay, now, does anyone have any experience with prints? What type of sizes or mediums do you prefer?

I'm going to talk to Stan about what he thinks, but I wanted to know if there was any specific input.

I also like the ideas about the t-shirts. Going to have to figure out something. I'm also thinking of doing a shirt of this pic: Image

Man, I wish I could clone myself so I could tackle all of these cool ideas at once! I'm going to e-mail the guy who wanted to license Usagi for merchandising again and see what happened.
dhfujii

Postby Lobster Johnson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 18:50 +0000

I don't really have any preferred print size, so long as it's small enough to easily display and big enough to look good.
That cover would make a great T-shirt! That's a creepy one.
I don't think he's appeared on any covers, but I'd love to have a Sasuke t-shirt. Maybe a shirt with this panel?
Usagi02 copy.jpg
Usagi02 copy.jpg (58.41 KiB) Viewed 4591 times

I hear that panel makes a pretty cool avatar, too. :wink:
Edit: Or the 3/4 splash from Yokai where Usagi and Sasuke are drawing their swords (the one with the floating leaves, right before a double page spread).
Lobster Johnson

Postby jabba359 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 19:33 +0000

For print size, 11x17 seems to be the standard size. When I go to conventions, that is the size everyone else seems to use and is the size most people would expect when buying prints. If you want to go smaller, 11x14 and 9x12 are a couple smaller standard sizes (though I see them used more often with original artwork than prints), but I prefer the larger format.

When you refer to what mediums we prefer, what kind of options are there?
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Eltanin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 21:42 +0000

Evil Usagi would be a really cool t-shirt!

If we are talking about a Sasuke t-shirt, I think a t-shirt made from this commission would be perfect (with all the monsters in the background, the picture is great):
Eltanin

Postby maichan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 21:42 +0000

I tend to agree with Kyle about print size - 9x12, 11x14, and 11x17 . I'd actually like see it prints done in more than one size, giving fans the option to have several sizes to choose from.

I do like t-shirts, but I'd rather have colored art on a print rather than on a t-shirt. What I would like to see in t-shirt form is the stylized Usagi head "chop" (and I'd like to see it on a cap again).
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby jabba359 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 22:39 +0000

I really like that shirt idea. One of my favorite Usagi covers. I'm not a huge fan of transferring existing art in it's squarish format to a t-shirt, as it always looks like it was designed for a book or print and not a shirt. If the art could be transferred without square borders, that would be awesome. I made a mockup of what I'd like to see, pictured below.

-Kyle
jabba359

Postby dhfujii » Tue Feb 16, 2016 23:17 +0000

Hi jabba,

OMG, that's beautiful!!! How did you do that? Did you use Illustrator and "extract" all the images? I'm a noob when it comes to digital manipulation. I LOVE how that came out! You even did the chop logo and everything!

Do you do this professionally?

I also was thinking of updating the Jei shirt to include the skulls as a background.

Yes, my thoughts exactly! I rather despise the rectangle/square look as it cheapens the art, and does make it seem rather amateurish/lazy. It takes skill to be able to do what you did, and it's definitely something that I vibe with!
dhfujii

Postby dhfujii » Tue Feb 16, 2016 23:26 +0000

Eltanin wrote:Evil Usagi would be a really cool t-shirt!

If we are talking about a Sasuke t-shirt, I think a t-shirt made from this commission would be perfect (with all the monsters in the background, the picture is great):

HI Eltanin, I can't see the image, it redirects to 403 Forbidden. Sasuke shirt would be neat!
dhfujii

Postby dhfujii » Tue Feb 16, 2016 23:29 +0000

maichan wrote:I tend to agree with Kyle about print size - 9x12, 11x14, and 11x17 . I'd actually like see it prints done in more than one size, giving fans the option to have several sizes to choose from.

I do like t-shirts, but I'd rather have colored art on a print rather than on a t-shirt. What I would like to see in t-shirt form is the stylized Usagi head "chop" (and I'd like to see it on a cap again).

I'm going to have to think about the sizing and talk to Stan. I think it will also depend on the image. Yes, multiple sizes would be ideal, but I'm going to have to see how that plays out with inventory and such. I already have quite a bit of it already. Haha.

Definitely will be bringing back the chop" hat. Is there a preference for the "Chop" Shirt? I think I can make that right now, actually.
dhfujii

Postby Eltanin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:29 +0000

I love what you did Jabba! I prefer borderless t-shirts as well.

dhfujii wrote:HI Eltanin, I can't see the image, it redirects to 403 Forbidden. Sasuke shirt would be neat!

Can you see it now?
Eltanin

Postby maichan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:47 +0000

jabba359 wrote:I really like that shirt idea. One of my favorite Usagi covers. I'm not a huge fan of transferring existing art in it's squarish format to a t-shirt, as it always looks like it was designed for a book or print and not a shirt. If the art could be transferred without square borders, that would be awesome. I made a mockup of what I'd like to see, pictured below.

Yes, definitely agree with your idea here!
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

PreviousNext

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum