EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Usagi Merchandise and Prints!

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: Usagi Merchandise and Prints!

Postby OnitsukaTiger » Fri Jan 05, 2018 15:25 +0000

Hi Stan! Any updates on the 3A figure? I'm really excited to see what they've come up with. Sometimes they go for a stylized look and sometimes they go for ultra detailed stuff.

Can't wait!
OnitsukaTiger
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Kaimuki » Thu Apr 05, 2018 18:19 +0000

I just wanted to make a suggestion to see if this would be possible for a future UY book...
I really enjoyed collecting the large Usagi Gallery books Volume 1 & 2.
I was wondering if it would be possible to make another large size Gallery book, but this time with Usagi comic covers ONLY.
Like a collection of large detailed scans of the original b/w art covers for each comic book.
Would anyone be interested in this sort of thing?
For me, if something like that was made I think I would probably buy 2-3 copies of the book lol.
I would be sooo interested in something like this, so I was just wondering if others felt the same maybe we can ask Stan & Daniel to see if it was an actual possibility...?
Kaimuki

Postby jabba359 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 20:56 +0000

Kaimuki wrote:I was wondering if it would be possible to make another large size Gallery book, but this time with Usagi comic covers ONLY.
Like a collection of large detailed scans of the original b/w art covers for each comic book.

I was just thinking this past week that I'd love to see a collection of all the covers, b/w on one page and colored on the facing page. Sign me up if such a book ever gets made.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Mayhem » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:57 +0000

Now that would be something... if the back of the #127 cover is anything to go by, Stan scans them all before sending them off so fingers crossed he'd have most of them available heh.

In the case of #119, you'd need both adjoining pages FOR the cover heh...
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby Trevis Woods » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:40 +0000

I would definitely buy that book! That would be an amazing collection. Especially in that Gallery size edition. Great idea!!!
Trevis Woods

Postby maichan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:51 +0000

jabba359 wrote:
Kaimuki wrote:I was wondering if it would be possible to make another large size Gallery book, but this time with Usagi comic covers ONLY.

I was just thinking this past week that I'd love to see a collection of all the covers, b/w on one page and colored on the facing page. Sign me up if such a book ever gets made.

I like that idea... a book of covers, b&w on one page, color on the other. With all the covers, Stan might even have to run it as a multi volume sort of thing. :D
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby jabba359 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:40 +0000

While I'd love a gallery sized version with the art recreated in full size, I'd also be happy with a more consumer friendly sized version as well, maybe something similar in size (and price) to The Art of Usagi Yojimbo.

maichan wrote:I like that idea... a book of covers, b&w on one page, color on the other. With all the covers, Stan might even have to run it as a multi volume sort of thing. :D

So, at approximately 250 covers (we're at series issue #232 according to the most recent issue, and I'm sure there are some covers not included in that count) plus all the covers for the trades and Sagas, some extra pages for the double page spread covers, plus Space Usagi, plus non-Usagi covers, so I'll just say 325 covers. Let's double the page count to accommodate black & white/colored versions (and for the painted covers, maybe one page of completed art and one page of process pictures?) so that's 650 pages. I'd love some commentary so would add on another 100 pages or so to accommodate that, which puts the page count I'd want at 750 pages.

With The Art of Usagi Yojimbo coming in at around 200 pages, that puts us at almost 4 full volumes (by the time volume 4 got released, I think there would be enough additional content to fill it out). Gallery editions are a bit larger (~250 pages), so could likely fit all the current covers in 3 volumes, but then it would be a longer wait before we'd have enough material to fill another 250 page volume.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby maichan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:58 +0000

Make it so!
make-it-so.jpg
make-it-so.jpg (179.71 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Maka » Sat Apr 07, 2018 13:58 +0000

Okay, you sold me. I’d buy that. :lol: peace, maka
Maka

Postby richarddragon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:00 +0000

jabba359 wrote:While I'd love a gallery sized version with the art recreated in full size, I'd also be happy with a more consumer friendly sized version as well, maybe something similar in size (and price) to The Art of Usagi Yojimbo.

maichan wrote:I like that idea... a book of covers, b&w on one page, color on the other. With all the covers, Stan might even have to run it as a multi volume sort of thing. :D

So, at approximately 250 covers (we're at series issue #232 according to the most recent issue, and I'm sure there are some covers not included in that count) plus all the covers for the trades and Sagas, some extra pages for the double page spread covers, plus Space Usagi, plus non-Usagi covers, so I'll just say 325 covers. Let's double the page count to accommodate black & white/colored versions (and for the painted covers, maybe one page of completed art and one page of process pictures?) so that's 650 pages. I'd love some commentary so would add on another 100 pages or so to accommodate that, which puts the page count I'd want at 750 pages.

With The Art of Usagi Yojimbo coming in at around 200 pages, that puts us at almost 4 full volumes (by the time volume 4 got released, I think there would be enough additional content to fill it out). Gallery editions are a bit larger (~250 pages), so could likely fit all the current covers in 3 volumes, but then it would be a longer wait before we'd have enough material to fill another 250 page volume.

Wow, something for years to come!
Now would I cheat a friend?
richarddragon

Postby Casey Burns » Fri Apr 13, 2018 22:07 +0000

Please add me to the list of fans who would be happy to buy a book of covers.

As a designer and illustrator myself, I do love the idea of showing the b/w original art on one side of a spread and the colored version on the opposite side. But my preference would be to see the color version in the context of the original full cover layout that went to press, including all logos, UPCs, and whatever other necessary clutter was there.

Stan and the art staff at each of his publishers are most likely very mindful of what else will be on the cover before Stan even starts drawing, and I always enjoy seeing the big picture.
Casey Burns Creative
http://caseyburnscreative.com
Casey Burns

Postby Kaimuki » Wed Jun 13, 2018 17:08 +0000

jabba359 wrote:While I'd love a gallery sized version with the art recreated in full size, I'd also be happy with a more consumer friendly sized version as well, maybe something similar in size (and price) to The Art of Usagi Yojimbo.

WOW you really did a lot of homework figuring out if & how it could be done, I LOVE IT!!
Yeah it could be an ongoing thing, with more volumes in the future.
I love those giant "artist editions" art books that are out now like this one...

If there was one with all Usagi covers...I just smile just thinking about it lol.
Stan....can you hear us Stan....??? LOL
Kaimuki

Postby OnitsukaTiger » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:43 +0000

Has anyone heard anything new about the 3A Usagi figure mentioned last year?
OnitsukaTiger

Postby Stan Sakai » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:06 +0000

OnitsukaTiger wrote:Has anyone heard anything new about the 3A Usagi figure mentioned last year?

3A did not do as well as expected last year, so canceled much of their projects including the Usagi figure.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby OnitsukaTiger » Mon Sep 03, 2018 14:14 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:
OnitsukaTiger wrote:Has anyone heard anything new about the 3A Usagi figure mentioned last year?

3A did not do as well as expected last year, so canceled much of their projects including the Usagi figure.

Oh, that's unfortunate, but thanks for the update.

Will you pursue a high-end collectible figure with any other manufacturers? Mezco would do an amazing job as part of their One:12 Collective line. They've done some excellent work with plastic and soft goods. Alternatively, 1000Toys is newer but has done some interesting stuff recently. Their upcoming 6-7" Hellboy looks amazing.
OnitsukaTiger

PreviousNext

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum