EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Usagi Merchandise and Prints!

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: Usagi Merchandise and Prints!

Postby Trevis Woods » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:53 +0000

dhfujii wrote:
maichan wrote:I tend to agree with Kyle about print size - 9x12, 11x14, and 11x17 . I'd actually like see it prints done in more than one size, giving fans the option to have several sizes to choose from.

I do like t-shirts, but I'd rather have colored art on a print rather than on a t-shirt. What I would like to see in t-shirt form is the stylized Usagi head "chop" (and I'd like to see it on a cap again).

I'm going to have to think about the sizing and talk to Stan. I think it will also depend on the image. Yes, multiple sizes would be ideal, but I'm going to have to see how that plays out with inventory and such. I already have quite a bit of it already. Haha.

Definitely will be bringing back the chop" hat. Is there a preference for the "Chop" Shirt? I think I can make that right now, actually.

I also vote for the 11x17. It would be nice to have them all be the same size for framing purposes and have a uniform look to them. Maybe even as prints are released they could be in a series of four or six and each set would have a different border or something to set them apart from each other. As an example, a hero set, a villian set, cover art set, back cover set, "chop" set, etc...
As far as the "Chop" shirt, I have the original black fabric with red "chop" on the front and "usagi yojimbo" on the back top center that DH released. Not sure if that can be recreated or if Dark Horse holds that shirt design.
I would even vote to have a "chop" shirt options with the Gundam "chop" from Senso and the evil "chop" Kyle used above from the 101 cover.
I prefer a black or even grey shirt as they stay that color longer as opposed to a plain white. I'm terrified to eat or drink while wearing a white shirt that i want to have on more than once :oops:
Trevis Woods
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby maichan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:56 +0000

dhfujii wrote:
maichan wrote:I tend to agree with Kyle about print size - 9x12, 11x14, and 11x17 . I'd actually like see it prints done in more than one size, giving fans the option to have several sizes to choose from.

I do like t-shirts, but I'd rather have colored art on a print rather than on a t-shirt. What I would like to see in t-shirt form is the stylized Usagi head "chop" (and I'd like to see it on a cap again).

I'm going to have to think about the sizing and talk to Stan. I think it will also depend on the image. Yes, multiple sizes would be ideal, but I'm going to have to see how that plays out with inventory and such. I already have quite a bit of it already. Haha.

Definitely will be bringing back the chop" hat. Is there a preference for the "Chop" Shirt? I think I can make that right now, actually.

Yes, inventory is always the killer when it comes to print runs.

As far as the "Chop" shirt.... Large chop image in the front; small clan crest on back; short sleeve and long sleeve versions; long sleeve could have "Usagi Yojimbo" on one sleeve; organic colors.

I bought some shirts from Uniqlo a few years ago when I was in Japan, they are my favorite Japanese themed t-shirts (subject and colors). I'll post some pictures later...

Oh, and YEA! for the cap coming back!
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby coolray85 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:06 +0000

I just thought of something I would like to see on a shirt (again)...the old dojo shirt with the cover of albedo #2 on it...I never had that shirt, but the look is iconic, yet simple and very moody...this would be a great shirt I think! in white, too..too less white cool shirts out there...
also the opening splash page of 'a quiet meal' or some of the many memorable vital scenes in the dragon bellow conspiracy on a shirt or a sweater would be a dream for me!...imagine doing lets say a white shirt(sweater and have a tiny rectangle of blue colth sewn into it in the back of on the bottom front (like on old nba nutmeg shirts or nba jereseys the old champion / sizes shield) which sports usagis black dots on it..I would LOVE to see something like that happen...
apart from that the usagi tea cups were great and one can never have enough of tea cups,)
coolray85

Postby Maka » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:49 +0000

Dear Daniel,

One idea, and I don't know if it is a good one, to deal with the inventory issue:

1) Make three designs for a product (3 t-shirt designs or 3 print designs)
2) Make a poll for FB, Annex, and Dojo members to pick their top design. I think Facebook is the largest on-line audience right now (combining Official Stan Sakai, Stan Sakai, and UYD FB pages). So I would recommended putting the poll up there.
3) Create a limited edition print run of that design. OR
4) Have people pre-order shirt or prints ahead of time (pay first to reserve your copy). Having people pre-pay for shirts has these advantages:
-No guessing on how many shirts and which sizes to print. You don't have to have much of an inventory.
-You get commitment from buyers ahead of time.
-By stating you sell these official brand of shirts on the website only certain times of the year, you create a demand for the official shirts when they are offered. Let's say you offer these shirts for sale (pre-order) for two weeks in the fall and two weeks in the spring. You can focus your energy and customer service on these shirts twice a year and make customers happy. Those who buy them are happy to have something official to wear that represents their fandom. Those who don't have something to look forward to next time they are offered.
-You could print out a few extra to bring to signings/cons. But you don't have to. Fans can always pick up the other UY merchandise.

Just a thought. Some podcasts I listen to on relay.com, 5b5 network, daringfireball.net sell t-shirts this way. I don't know if prints would work the same way. But it could be fun to have people vote on print design on Facebook, pick a winner, and print out 100 (or less or more) and sell them for $50+ (or less or more) each. Less inventory for you to store and drag around, supply is limited, demand is high. Even if people are disappointed in not being able to purchase an print, they can try and get on the next limited edition print. Less chance of being stuck with inventory that is difficult to get rid of.

We are big fans here, but not even the biggest of fans can buy every UY product (although some of us try ;)). I think putting out limited edition prints or seasonal t-shirts orders could be a good business plan to try. Good luck!

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Maka » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:53 +0000

One more product idea:

"Death skull speech bubbles" might make a fun pin or magnet. Peace, maka
Maka

Postby maichan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:17 +0000

Those are some great ideas Maka! Very forward thinking! :D
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby jabba359 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 13:37 +0000

dhfujii wrote:Hi jabba,

OMG, that's beautiful!!! How did you do that? Did you use Illustrator and "extract" all the images? I'm a noob when it comes to digital manipulation. I LOVE how that came out! You even did the chop logo and everything!

Do you do this professionally?

I'm just an amateur Photoshop hobbiest. I've played around with Photoshop for fun over the years and used a trick or two I learned from "how-to" videos my aforementioned friend Rob makes. It took about an hour start to finish and I didn't do a super perfect job, but I knew it would be shrunk down for this post so my lack of fine skills wouldn't be too obvious. ;)

Going back to the topic of prints, I don't think offering multiple sizes of the same art is worth the inventory headache. 11x17 is still my size of choice if picking any one particular size. Is it the plan to sell mostly at conventions, or in the online store as well?
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Gaffey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 14:11 +0000

coolray85 wrote:I just thought of something I would like to see on a shirt (again)...the old dojo shirt with the cover of albedo #2 on it...I never had that shirt, but the look is iconic, yet simple and very moody...this would be a great shirt I think! in white, too..too less white cool shirts out there...

A rerelease would be nice!

Heritage Source still has them listed for sale. The large size sold out right away so I had to buy extra large which is way too big for me. I've never seen one for sale on eBay, of any size, and I've been looking for many years. (Grey, White or Black)

http://www.heritagesource.com/page4/page6/page19/page19.html

I think they were printed on Hanes Beefy t-shirts which were pretty good quality wise.
Gaffey

Postby Steve Hubbell » Wed Feb 17, 2016 14:51 +0000

Gaffey wrote:
coolray85 wrote:I just thought of something I would like to see on a shirt (again)...the old dojo shirt with the cover of albedo #2 on it...I never had that shirt, but the look is iconic, yet simple and very moody...this would be a great shirt I think! in white, too..too less white cool shirts out there...

A rerelease would be nice!

Heritage Source still has them listed for sale. The large size sold out right away so I had to buy extra large which is way too big for me. I've never seen one for sale on eBay, of any size, and I've been looking for many years. (Grey, White or Black)

http://www.heritagesource.com/page4/page6/page19/page19.html

I think they were printed on Hanes Beefy t-shirts which were pretty good quality wise.

I believe that Todd also still has some of these
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Gaffey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 15:01 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:I believe that Todd also still has some of these

Any Large? I contacted him about shirts a few months ago and he never got back to me.
Gaffey

Postby Spam Musubi #7 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 18:31 +0000

I emailed Heritage about the Dojo shirts a few months ago, all they had left were XXL white ones.

- Spam
Spam Musubi #7

Postby rs2 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:24 +0000

jabba359 wrote:I really like that shirt idea. One of my favorite Usagi covers. I'm not a huge fan of transferring existing art in it's squarish format to a t-shirt, as it always looks like it was designed for a book or print and not a shirt. If the art could be transferred without square borders, that would be awesome. I made a mockup of what I'd like to see, pictured below.

that's badass!!
yeah, sign me up for one of these...
rs2

Postby Mayhem » Thu Feb 18, 2016 15:08 +0000

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't mind that either :)
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby coolray85 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 15:18 +0000

thanks Steve and Gaffey! koool that there is still a chance for me to get one..although XXL would be too large for me as well;(
rs2, I love your design! I must say though thta I don't have anything against the square one either..but that is just preference I guess...
good job!
coolray85

Postby dhfujii » Thu Feb 18, 2016 18:13 +0000

Hi Guys,

Wow, I'm floored with all the great ideas! I'm going to have to spend a bit of time going through everything. Been a bit busy with other projects at the moment. Going to be reviewing the proposal by the licensee who wants to do a lot with Usagi merchandising. If it looks good, we'll have someone going full force spearheading that area!

The Albedo shirt would be really easy. I'm not sure if they own the "rights" to publish that specific picture, so I'll have to ask Stan. They're chill though, since I grew up buying most of my Usagi comics from them. Haha.

Perhaps I could even print some out for them to sell as well. Maybe do another limited number release?
dhfujii

PreviousNext

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum