EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Usagi in TMNT

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: Usagi in TMNT

Postby Gaffey » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:01 +0000

Mayhem wrote:Usagi saying the names of the swords, yes I believe so.
Phew, I thought I was losing it. :lol:
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby jabba359 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 20:57 +0000

For those that are interested in purchasing, you can get the individual episodes in high definition for $3 each ($2 each for standard definition) from iTunes (as Maka mentioned earlier), Amazon video, VUDU, Google Play, and likely elsewhere.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Eshbaal » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:53 +0000

Awe hell, looks like the comic book stores in Copenhagen don't have it yet when I go there this tuesday.

I guess I'll have to "only" buy Legends and Hell Screen then. Woe is me.
Eshbaal
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Gi_Ra » Sun Jul 30, 2017 16:13 +0000

2nd episode was pretty awesome!

I kindly ask the universe for a T.V. series/movie of Usagi Yojimbo. So many characters need the limelight someday like Gen! That would be awesome!

Looking forward to the next episode!
Gi_Ra

Postby Eshbaal » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:38 +0000

Hahahhh, that was cool. Nice to see one of the Yokai that haven't shown up in Usagi so far in this one.
Eshbaal

Postby Trevis Woods » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:35 +0000

Ryaaaaaaahhhh!!!
Just finished the third episode! Apparently iTunes makes it available early before it even airs!
Amazing conclusion and some epic Usagi moments. Loved the multiple comic references and little Easter eggs for long time fans. Backgrounds are beautiful and I am so impressed with this story arc. The animation detail on Usagi was impressive. I also have to say the voice acting for Usagi was perfect and Yuki Matsuzaki did a great job!
Congrats to Stan! So glad this happened and so glad we all got to see it.
Seriously hoping for more someday!
Trevis Woods

Postby Gi_Ra » Sun Aug 06, 2017 20:33 +0000

Awesome third episode!

Could we please see a Usagi Yojimbo Television Series? I think if it was made just like these past 3 episodes then that would be an awesome series!

Congratulations Stan! It was entertaining and amazing!
Gi_Ra

Postby Maka » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:56 +0000

My daughters and I watched it last night. They found the pug's voice/manner to be irritating. They loved the transitions to comic art at the end of the episodes or flashbacks. I love the flashbacks art in the first episode and that they made it into the UY Sketchbook #14 this year. So fun for us fans to have that extra bonus behind the scenes. It was cool to see "Written by Stan Sakai" in the first episode.

SPOILERS:

Cami thought Jei was a little out of character. She said, "Jei would never act like an old man who needed help. He doesn't have the ability to control others. He can't see what others are doing far away." She is purest. Ha!

I love the tanuki in the second episode. Their characters made me laugh a lot. I also liked the snow ninjas in the third episode. I thought those fight scenes were awesome.

I enjoyed all three episodes. I like how Usagi didn't talk a lot. He was by far the best swordsman in the group. I liked how Usagi connected with Leo in the end. So great to see Usagi and Jei and Neko ninja in animation. So the question becomes: Where is the Jei action figure? ;) Peace, maka
Maka

Postby jabba359 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 14:29 +0000

I hadn't seen the second episode, so bought the whole season and watched parts 2 and 3 last night. While I enjoyed it, I just kept thinking that a full on Usagi series would be so much better. :D That said, I really liked the snow ninjas too and I thought the fight scenes were well executed. Hopefully these episodes get a great response and somebody finally gives Usagi his full series.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Gaffey » Mon Aug 07, 2017 17:26 +0000

jabba359 wrote:I really liked the snow ninjas
Meow!! I have never pictured them making those sounds when reading the comics. :lol:

I'm not into the goofy turtles, but I liked Usagi a lot.
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Eshbaal » Tue Aug 08, 2017 15:23 +0000

is it just me or did Jei go full sorcerer in these episodes? I don't remember him throwing magic around that frivolously before. Not that I mind, it was cool as all hell, but it struck me.
Eshbaal

Postby Otter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 16:47 +0000

How has this series been released on DVD? I'd be happy to pick up a disc with just the Usagi episodes (+1, don't they typically have four episodes per dis?), but given what else I have seen teased for this "Tales" season, I might be up for a complete season.

Last Ninja turtles disc I picked up was a Blu ray of the 1990 film.
Even if the breath between us smells of alcohol,
Call it confusion in the best way possible.
Otter

Postby jabba359 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 22:23 +0000

Otter wrote:How has this series been released on DVD? I'd be happy to pick up a disc with just the Usagi episodes (+1, don't they typically have four episodes per dis?), but given what else I have seen teased for this "Tales" season, I might be up for a complete season.

Last Ninja turtles disc I picked up was a Blu ray of the 1990 film.

I'm not sure about distribution in Australia, but it's possible to buy digital copies of single episodes or the whole seasons at places like iTunes, Amazon video, Google Play, and Vudu. But that might be US only.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Rustyblade » Fri Aug 11, 2017 22:59 +0000

Maka wrote:It was cool to see "Written by Stan Sakai" in the first episode.
This for sure. I was so hyped for this episode like all of you I'm sure, that when the "written by" credit at the start flashed I nerded out and expained for the 100th time to my girlfriend who Stan is and who all the characters are etc.
Rustyblade

Postby Treadwell » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:54 +0000

What a treat! I can't believe it's been over ten years since the last time UY was animated.

Episode 1:
Great to see bits of Stan's art, and the fact that he wrote it. As per tradition, Usagi must first battle the turtles until they all realize they're good guys. Gotta do it. :)
I like how Usagi just touches his scar as his flashback ends, without there being any other explanation about it. There didn't need to be. Nice brevity of storytelling!

Design: overall I like this interpretation of Usagi, except for the fact that they give him a right eyebrow, and in the precise symmetric place opposite his scar, letting that substitute for his left eyebrow. It confuses the fact that it is a scar, and not just a differently colored eyebrow. And besides, Stan almost never draws a right eyebrow. Sometimes a line to denote certain expressions, but only when necessary. Just a little design aberration I wasn't thrilled with.

I did not enjoy the bratty little child character because I do not enjoy bratty little children. I know storywise he's supposed to be, but it detracted all the same.

But overall it was a good introduction to the UY world for newcomers and a joy for those of us familiar.

Episode 2:
What happened to the horses? They're either stuck in the tree or fell to their deaths offscreen. :(
Sadly, I find this episode to be filler. There isn't much character or story progression, it's just stuff that happens. Nice to see yōkai, though.

Episode 3:
Now this is more like it. A nice conclusion, with more usage of Stan art as Usagi rallies. (RRYYYAAAAAAA!) And the anticipated beginnings of de-bratification of the boy.

Impressions as a TV cartoon overall:
This is the first time I'd seen this iteration of TMNT. REALLY cool opening title sequence, even though it's a blatant ripoff of Cowboy Bebop. I like the opening and closing music as well.
I'm happy for Seth Green to have a fun gig like this, but it's hard for me to suspend disbelief when Leonardo is talking. I just hear Seth Green. I see someone else did it at first.

Tone: I exceed the age of target audience by quite a bit. But it's more juvenile than I'd have hoped. Just a hair too much tomfoolery and pointless roughhousing and the like. But I'd probably feel the same way if I was around four real human teenage boys, much less mutant ones. I don't recall there being quite so much of this in the previous incarnations, but it's been a long time since I've seen them so there might have been. Come to think of it, the original had a lot of pizza-throwing slapstick and such. Didn't like that then, either. ;)
Treadwell

PreviousNext

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum