EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Edit: Stan Sakai JANM signing recap (with photos)

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Edit: Stan Sakai JANM signing recap (with photos)

Postby Maka » Mon Jan 01, 2018 21:26 +0000

Dear Dojo,

Adriel, Daniel, Kyle, Michael, and I are planning on attending the Japanese American National Museum 2018 Oshogatsu Family Festival (http://www.janm.org/events/2018/oshogatsufest/), where Stan will be doing a drawing demonstration and signing from 1-2pm. We are planning to have an early Dojo lunch together, I'm suggesting around 11 a.m. (EDIT: looks like there is limited seating but JANM members can reserve seating. I'm a member and will call tomorrow to see how many seats I can reserve but we may have to go to JANM first to sign up for the demonstration before eating at 11:00): Hopefully, this will give us plenty of time to get back to the museum in time for Stan's demo and we can get a Southern California Usagi Yojimbo Dojo photo with Stan at his signing.

Invitation: if you are thinking of going and want to join us for lunch or the Dojo photo, go ahead and let us know here.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on where to eat, that would be appreciated. Kyle and I went to Marugame Monzo (https://www.yelp.com/biz/marugame-monzo-los-angeles-2) at the last Stan Sakai JANM signing, which was fun. But that place is a little small and the wait was substantial. In the spirit of Japanese New Years, we should eat soba, but I don't want to be the one to dictate what people "should" eat. :) Any suggestions of good restaurants in Little Tokyo is appreciated. Closer to the JANM is helpful too. Thanks in advance.

Peace, maka
Last edited by Maka on Tue Jan 09, 2018 0:32 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: January 7 Invite: UYD lunch before Stan Sakai JANM signi

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:35 +0000

Sounds like fun and I wish I could join you all for lunch. Hopefully, you can get pictures from your lunch as well as from the JANM presentation to share. A Dojo group photo with Stan is also a great idea. Remember, no pressure, but us Dojo members who can't attend are living precariously through your photos. :D
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Maka » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:42 +0000

Update:

- Meet at JANM at 11am and sign up for Stan's demonstration and signing.
-Go to lunch based on Daniel aunt's recommendation. Choices so far are:
-Cafe Dulce
-Yamazaki Bakery
-Oomasa
-Suehiro
-Chado Tea Room
-Otani Hotel (if there is a large number of us)

So far, we have Kyle, Adriel, Daniel, & me confirmed. Michael will join us if he is over his cold. If we go to a bakery, we will bring Stan some pastries full of gluten and a gluten-free one (if they have it) from for Stan's Daniel. :)

All are welcome to join us for lunch. You will be able to identify us by our Usagi hats, shirts, or merch (I'm planning to bring the Usagi Yojimbo Gallery Edition #2 big book, to make it easy to find me ;) ). We are also three Asian guys and Kyle is tall. :)

Peace, maka

Peace,
Maka

Postby Kaimuki » Sun Jan 07, 2018 23:56 +0000

How did it go?
Any stories or photos??
I wish I could have been there to join you guys, sounds like a fun day! :D
Kaimuki
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby maichan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 +0000

Maka posted a group photo on Facebook, so I'm sure he'll post something here. Seems like the attendees had a good time. I wasn't able to make it as I got sick over the weekend, and am still sick at home.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Maka » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:28 +0000

I did take photos of Stan drawing. I've uploade to flickr but I haven't had a chance to post here yet. Will do when I get a free moment. It was a great presentation and it was a lot of fun to connect with Dojo members Adriel, Daniel (and Daniel's friend, whose name I can't remember), Ken, Kyle, and Stan. We look forward to the next one.

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Maka » Tue Jan 09, 2018 0:01 +0000

Okay, here's the recap (which is based on my memory, so it might not be completely accurate) of the day:

*Kyle (Jabba) and I carpooled to Little Toyko and arrived around 11:10. Daniel (Spam), his friend, and Adriel (Grusagi) beat us there and signed us up for Stan's demonstration. It was very limited seating 46 or 48 people limit.

*We went to eat lunch and we saw that Stan was eating in the restaurant next door. His meal looked better than ours.

*We got back to the JANM, checked into the presentation room. John Higashi was first in line for the waitlist (he got in). We sat behind Ken Taylor, who said he got the last reserved spot. Ken is another Dojo member that I didn't know but is as nice as everyone here. Stan came in about 20-30 minutes early, saw Kyle and I and sat next to us. Stan also recognized Ken. Adriel came in sat next to Stan. It was a nice to catch up a little before the show.

*Stan went up to the table at the front of the room and people started lining up to get their Usagi / Sakai stuff signed. A lot of little fans (kids) were there, which was nice. They set up a nice video camera to live stream the demonstration to the overflow room of watchers.

*At 1, Stan was introduced by the JANM staff. They mentioned Stan had an exhibit at JANM before and that it is always an honor to have him back. They mentioned that this demonstration was being recorded and would go up on the JANM youtube channel in a couple of months (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAJi3Y ... 8ao_5jJYGA).

*Stan did his typical presentation introducing how he came up with the idea for Usagi based on a sketch he did, sketching as he talked. Stan opened it up to questions and he sketched characters based on audience questions: Here's photos most of the sketches in progress (on their big tv screen):

Stan said when he first drew Usagi, Usagi had bigger eyebrows and was much more scruffy. Usagi has become more clean cut over the years.

Stan then talked about how he starts with simple shapes with loose drawings in pencil (so he has a lot of flexibility in designing positions, not locked in), and then inks it. This is the more detailed sketch, he demonstrated.

A kid asked about TMNT.
Stan drawing TMNT.

A woman asked Stan to draw her. Stan politely said he is terrible at drawing caricatures so he doesn't. She asked if he could draw something with a spear (used the Japanese word, which I don't know). Stan drew Jei and told his story. (I think Ken got this finished sketch)

A little girl asked about Lord Noriyuki and Stan said he likes pandas.

Stan talked about his love reading of mysteries.
[Image

The coolest part, IMO, was when Stan talked about how he is very thoughtful on how he introduces new characters in Usagi. He was proud of how Usagi was introduced and then recreated the introduction of Usagi.

Stan talked about his first submission to Albedo #1.

Some lucky and happy fans got these sketches when they asked Stan for them. Daniel's friend took this awesome picture of us Dojo folks (minus John, who was talking with Julie).

Adriel, Maka, Kyle, Stan, Daniel, Ken

Afterwards, Kyle talked with Emi about camera gear. I talked with Julie. Everyone else talked with Daniel Fujii. All the Sakai's are so friendly and good to us. We said goodbye. We bumped into Stan in the JANM store and he pointed out Julie's Chibi Usagi onesies. I told Stan I wished they made that image on an adult size. Adriel and Kyle joked about adult onesies. I don't care, if it was adult size with Julie's Chibi Usagi, I would buy it.

Kyle, Adriel and I went upstairs to look at the museum exhibits. Then we went to Kinokuniya to check out their books, Studio Ghibli collection, and pens (mostly me). Then I drove Adriel and Kyle home. Then I headed back to Santa Barbara.

It was a wonderful day. Kyle offered to pay for my parking and I ignored him. Kyle, I'm sorry about that. You were offering to do something kind for me and I should have accepted your kindness and generosity. Next time, I will. Kyle also gave me the December Scavenger Hunt prizes. Steve, that book you created is AWESOME. I haven't been able to look through it all yet but it is AWESOME. Thank you for donating it with your own hard cash and time. I love it!

We are planning on going to Ontario Comic Con to see Stan in May. Kyle and I have birthdays in May so maybe we will bring cake. We look forward to connecting with dojo members there too. We will post another meet up when it gets closer to May.

Peace, maka
Last edited by Maka on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:53 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Maka

Re: Edit: Stan Sakai JANM signing recap (with photos)

Postby jabba359 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:36 +0000

Thanks for the great write up and pictures. Your attention to details is impressive, as I wouldn't have remembered to recap everything that you remembered. I had a great time hanging out with my Dojo friends and the Sakai family and am looking forward to the next one!
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Slashuur » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 +0000

Hey! Looking good, gentlemen.
Thank you for sharing the pictures and the story with us, Maka.
And I'm all in for adult sized onesies too! :mrgreen:
⬛ Aldo
Slashuur

Postby richarddragon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 +0000

What a great day you guys seemed to have :D
Now would I cheat a friend?
richarddragon

Postby maichan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 20:34 +0000

Awesome photos! Thank you for sharing them Maka!
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Gaffey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:11 +0000

Thanks for the recap Maka! 8)

Scruffy Usagi? Why don't I remember that from all the Sakai videos I've watched?
Gaffey

Postby Steve Hubbell » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 +0000

Thanks for the great post Maka, almost felt like we were there! :)
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Trevis Woods » Thu Jan 11, 2018 21:44 +0000

Love this! Maka, thank you for sharing! Love all the details!
Trevis Woods

Postby Kaimuki » Sun Jan 21, 2018 13:25 +0000

What a great recap, LOVE all the photos!!
Thank you so much for doing that, makes me feel like I was there lol!
Thank you so much Maka, really enjoyed the very informative post! :D
Kaimuki

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum