EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Usagi Yojimbo Book Club help.

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Usagi Yojimbo Book Club help.

Postby Maka » Sun Jun 24, 2018 21:46 +0000

Dear UYDer,

I’m part of a Facebook group called P2P: Panel to Panel that does a book club weekend. They vote on a graphic novel for the book club weekend. Then for that Saturday and Sunday, people take photos of panels and share on Facebook with the #p2pbookclubnameofbook. It’s a lot of fun, at least for me. So I want to try it out on the FB Usagi Yojimbo Dojo Page. I got permission from the admins on the p2p group to use their idea on our UYD Page.

I want your help. I’m looking for a list of 5-7 Usagi Books (not Saga Books :)). Out of the 30 or so UY Books, list the titles of books you think should be the choices of this first #uydbookclub weekend. Thanks.

Here’s the example of the last book club description on p2p to give you an better idea of what I’m talking about.

“It’s P2P Book Club time again!! What is a P2P Book Club, you say? Well it’s when all of us within the P2P community read a common book or series of books by a certain date, and then post images of panels from that book, and discuss them with each other for a weekend. Sometimes even creators from the chosen book will chime in to discuss the title. It’s a really fun time, and all are encouraged to participate. The only thing we ask is that your posts do include photos of panels, and that you use the hashtag #p2pbookclubWWH

We hope you’ll join us on March 31/April 1 for Greg Pak and John Romita Jr’s Marvel Event mini-series, WORLD WAR HULK!!”

Thanks for your help. Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: Usagi Yojimbo Book Club help.

Postby jabba359 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 20:18 +0000

I'm super busy this week, but wanted to let you know I plan on providing a good answer for you when I get a little more free time.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby maichan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 21:46 +0000

Okay! I've got some homework to do! :wink:
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Tue Jun 26, 2018 23:54 +0000

I want your help. I’m looking for a list of 5-7 Usagi Books (not Saga Books :)). Out of the 30 or so UY Books, list the titles of books you think should be the choices of this first #uydbookclub weekend. Thanks.

Sounds like a good idea to me, but I am not sure why it should be limited to 5 - 7 books. Why not just start at Book 1 and work throught the whole series? On the P2P page, they pretty much need to vote on books because they are not limited to the contents of a single series like we would be.

Another cool thing about doing just Usagi books, especially if it is broken down by stories per book is that Facebook Dojo members from all over can contribute photos from whatever edition, format, or language they happen to have access to.

Then for that Saturday and Sunday, people take photos of panels and share on Facebook with the #p2pbookclubnameofbook. It’s a lot of fun, at least for me. So I want to try it out on the FB Usagi Yojimbo Dojo Page. I got permission from the admins on the p2p group to use their idea on our UYD Page.

Are you thinking of using the #p2pbookclubnameofbook or something like #uydbookclubnameofbook for tagging the photos?

Oh, by the way, Usagi Yojimbo Book 32: Mysteries is being released in trade paperback today (Wednesday), so get to your local comic shop and pick up your copy. The s/n ltd hardcover editions won't be out until July 11th.

Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Maka » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:08 +0000

Thanks Steve!

I always appreciate your feedback. Here's my thoughts . . .

Steve Hubbell wrote:Sounds like a good idea to me, but I am not sure why it should be limited to 5 - 7 books. Why not just start at Book 1 and work throught the whole series? On the P2P page, they pretty much need to vote on books because they are not limited to the contents of a single series like we would be.

The long term goal would be to do all 32+ books. My idea for polling the FB followers is to build in engagement. I believe when people get to vote, they feel good when their vote wins. And even if their choice doesn't win, they still like Usagi and can try again next time. Either way, people may feel like they get to participate on a different level, which can help build a stronger connection to the Usagi fandom (not that people like you and I need that but I think it doesn't hurt for the more causal fan).

Steve Hubbell wrote:Another cool thing about doing just Usagi books, especially if it is broken down by stories per book is that Facebook Dojo members from all over can contribute photos from whatever edition, format, or language they happen to have access to.
\\

A Very good point. I agree. I originally picked the small graphic novels book format to as an easy way to limit the page count. But we want people to be able to participate in any format they want (individual issues, any collection, digital, etc.)

Steve Hubbell wrote: Are you thinking of using the #p2pbookclubnameofbook or something like #uydbookclubnameofbook for tagging the photos?

Absolutely #uydbookclubnameofbook. I would write that we got the idea from p2p group but we are making it UYD because that is who we are. :)

Steve Hubbell wrote:Oh, by the way, Usagi Yojimbo Book 32: Mysteries is being released in trade paperback today (Wednesday), so get to your local comic shop and pick up your copy. The s/n ltd hardcover editions won't be out until July 11th.

I'm driving back home today and will stop at the LCBS to get this. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks again for the feedback. I think I still want to have people vote on which story they want pick as our first #uydbookclub will be. But I will let them know that we are hopefully going to have more (and maybe cover all of them) in the future. And to post their favorite stories as suggestions for next time we do a uydbookclub event. Sound good?

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby jabba359 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 16:16 +0000

Okay, it only took me two months to get around to this, but here would be my picks:

Book 1: The Ronin - Because this is where it all began. It's a great introduction to Usagi and also contains one of my favorite early characters, Zato-Ino.

Book 8: Shades of Death - TMNT crossover, do I need to have any other reason? To tell the truth, it has one of my favorite UY panels (Shades of Green part 2, page 13) and one that I think would be interesting to discuss. I know Stan had the idea of Nilson Groundthumper exploring why there are smart animals vs regular animals, and how humans relate to that universe. Now, Usagi doesn't have any humans (except Lord Hikiji, a leftover homage to the human storyline of Nilson), but I'd love to speculate about such things. Also, who can forget the question burning in everybody's minds about tails?

Book 12: Grasscutter - Well, this is Stan's most highly awarded book to date and tells and excellent, longer form story. I think the exploration of historical Japanese lore offers many points for discussion, plus we gets lots of Jei, which is never a bad thing.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Maka » Sat May 25, 2019 6:08 +0000

Dear Dojo,

So we are trying the book club event today and tomorrow on Facebook. I would love for this to be fun but it doesn’t quite work as well as the panel2panel Facebook clubs because non admins post don’t show up on the newsfeed. We’ll just have to see how it goes. If you have a chance, please contribute to the discussion and post your favorite panels from book 1: ronin. Thank you!

https://m.facebook.com/events/584009802 ... 7D&aref=98

Peace, maka
Maka

Postby maichan » Sat May 25, 2019 10:56 +0000

Maka wrote:Dear Dojo,

So we are trying the book club event today and tomorrow on Facebook. I would love for this to be fun but it doesn’t quite work as well as the panel2panel Facebook clubs because non admins post don’t show up on the newsfeed. We’ll just have to see how it goes. If you have a chance, please contribute to the discussion and post your favorite panels from book 1: ronin. Thank you!

https://m.facebook.com/events/584009802 ... 7D&aref=98

Peace, maka

I've added a few. Hopefully it goes well and there is more participation.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Maka » Sat May 25, 2019 16:18 +0000

Thanks Maichan! I liked your panels and thoughts. Appreciate the support of our first book club.

I’ve been out for the first part of the day but I’ll continue to post panels and thoughts throughout the weekend when I get a chance. I’m
Just finishing up my studying for an online class to take
The last test. So I’m posting between studying. Peace, maka
Maka

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum