EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

San Diego Con 2018--What to bring?

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

San Diego Con 2018--What to bring?

Postby Stan Sakai » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:31 +0000

Things have been very busy for me on a personal level, so this is a bit late. I still have not even begun getting ready for Comic-Con and it's only little more than a week away.

Is there anything you would like me to bring for you? New items will include: the newest volume UY Book 32: Mysteries in both HC ($60) and trade paperback ($18), a new sketchbook ($25), new cloisonné pins, Special Edition and, maybe, a new print ($20). I'm not sure about some of the prices, so will edit them in later.

I don't think I will have time to do any commissions before the con, but we will have a lot of drawings for sale.

You can reply here or PM me. I will sketch in the preordered books for free, but will only sign books at the con with quick sketches for a donation to Hero Initiative.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Re: San Diego Con--What to bring?

Postby jabba359 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:30 +0000

If you happen to come across some leftovers of the Dark Horse booth signing card from last year, I was a few short for people I was supposed to pick them up for last SDCC. The card was from The Hell Screen cover.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby jabba359 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 13:18 +0000

And for anybody attending, these are Stan's panels/signing that I'm aware of:

GROWING UP WITH COMICS: INTRODUCING YOUNGER READERS TO GRAPHIC STORYTELLING
Thursday, July 19
11:00am-12:00pm
Room 23ABC

Comics are a great way to get kids interested in art, reading, and storytelling-and, well, they're fun! Sergio Aragonés (Groo), Cecil Castellucci (Soupy Leaves Home), Stan Sakai (Usagi Yojimbo), and Landry Q. Walker (Disney/Pixar, The Incredibles 2: Crisis in Mid-Life! & Other Stories) to discover and discuss the ever-growing library of incredible all-ages comics.

THE MARK, SERGIO, STAN, AND MAYBE TOM SHOW
Thursday, July 19
3:30pm-4:30pm
Room 8

It's another panel where the award-winning team of Sergio Aragonés and Mark Evanier (Comic-Con special guests) discuss their work together, especially on the long-running comic Groo The Wanderer. They'll be joined by their letterer (and the creator of the also long-running Usagi Yojimbo) Stan Sakai, and they may be joined the colorist for both, the hardest-working man in comics, Tom Luth. They'll be telling you all about the upcoming crossover mini-series in which Groo meets . . . well, come to the panel and find out who.

DARK HORSE BOOTH SIGNING
Friday, July 20
10:00-10:45 AM
Booth #2615 Hellboy Signing Stage
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Mayhem » Sun Jul 08, 2018 14:09 +0000

Sketchbook, pins and print, and anything else new non-book related :) I'll be getting the h/c from my comic store here.
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby maichan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 21:44 +0000

Me too, with Jabba's help I'd like..... Sketchbook, pins and print.

I assume the Special Edition is the TMNT/Usagi book?

I have the HC on order too, but this would be a good chance to get a signed/sketched copy, wouldn't it? I'll decide on this by tomorrow. :roll:
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Stan Sakai » Sun Jul 08, 2018 22:01 +0000

maichan wrote:

The Special Edition is the two-volume box set from Fantagraphics reprinting UY Books 1-7. It had been out of print for years and they are finally reprinting the trade paperback edition.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby maichan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 22:18 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:
maichan wrote:

The Special Edition is the two-volume box set from Fantagraphics reprinting UY Books 1-7. It had been out of print for years and they are finally reprinting the trade paperback edition.

Ah, THAT Special Edition! Thanks Stan! I was fortunate enough to get that in HC just before it became HTF. I won't be needing the reprinting. I know the reprinting is good news for many other collectors though.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Steve Hubbell » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:48 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:Things have been very busy for me on a personal level, so this is a bit late. I still have not even begun getting ready for Comic-Con and it's only little more than a week away.

Is there anything you would like me to bring for you? New items will include: the newest volume UY Book 32: Mysteries in both HC ($60) and trade paperback ($18), a new sketchbook ($25), new cloisonné pins, Special Edition and, maybe, a new print ($20). I'm not sure about some of the prices, so will edit them in later.

I don't think I will have time to do any commissions before the con, but we will have a lot of drawings for sale.

You can reply here or PM me. I will sketch in the preordered books for free, but will only sign books at the con with quick sketches for a donation to Hero Initiative.

I sure hope things start to settle down for you on the personal level, and you get a chance to relax and enjoy the convention.

Speaking of the convention, I would definitely like to pre-order the new sketchbook (with sketch if possible), as well as the new print(s).

Will the new cloisonné pins be the same design as the previous chop pins?

I have both HC and TPB versions of UY: Mysteries ordered through my local comic shop (HC edition arriving this Wednesday), so I shouldn't need those.

Of course, I am also hoping to get the new Mondo pint as well as any new Usagi Yojimbo promo material from Dark Horse (TMNT/Usagi Complete Collection signing card?)......

Best wishes,
Steve
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Stan Sakai » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:59 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:Will the new cloisonné pins be the same design as the previous chop pins?

Emi is in charge of the pins, and she has three new designs: tokage, EEP!, and death skull. She plans to package them quite nicely, so expect an increase in price from the old chop pins (which we will also have).
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Trevis Woods » Mon Jul 09, 2018 21:30 +0000

Stan and Kyle...PM sent regarding SDCC shopping list :D
Thanks!!!
So excited to see the new print, sketchbook, Kyle's photo or video virtual tour of the booth(fingers crossed) and I definitely need a death skull pin(cool idea)!
Trevis Woods
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby maichan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 22:05 +0000

Dear Stan Sensei, PM sent. :D

Kyle, will contact you soon. :wink:
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Maka » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:14 +0000

Dear Stan,

I sent this as a PM but it's still in my outbox, so I'm not sure if you got it.

I want to purchase:

-The new sketchbook (is it possible to have this personalized to me?)
-The new poster (is this possible to have it personalized to me?)
-The new pins.

Also, you mentioned in a different post that you might have been able to get Usagi/TMNT Sakai variant cover (softcover) from the comic shop in Hawaii. I sent a paypal payment (zarolove@yahoo.com) you on April 2, 2018 (you didn't bill me, but I was trying to be proactive). If you have that, I would love to get a copy. If you don't have it, no worries. If you do and I owe you more, just let me know.

I'm asking Kyle to pick up the Usagi/TMNT Mondo print (assuming it is still being produced) and I'm hoping you can personalize that to me as well.

Addition: if you have any of the t-shirts on your website in Large size, I would like to buy one of whatever you have. It has been sold out on the website for a while but I thought I should ask.

Will Julie be doing commissions? I wanted to pick up a gift for Cheryl's auntie. She volunteers to help rehabilitate wild animals who have been injured. She saw some of Julie's art when you posted it on facebook and said she was interested. I wanted to commission a female character that was a chibi Usagi-universe fox or bobcat or some other wide animal from Julie for her. If not, that is understandable.

Kyle said he would be willing to pick up the stuff for me. I can either pay you ahead of time using PayPal or give the money to Kyle to pay you.

Take care and good luck preparing for and during the craziness and joy of SDCC. Your family and you are in my prayers. Peace, maka
Maka

Postby Stan Sakai » Thu Jul 12, 2018 16:26 +0000

We will have six new pins--Usagi with sword, Chibi Usagi, Spot, Chibi Spot, EEP!, and Death Skull--along with the classic Red Usagi Logo.

We will also have two prints--Book 1 cover and one with new art.

Sketchbooks are supposed to be delivered to us at the con, but we had problems last year and did not get them at the beginning of the con.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby maichan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 21:50 +0000

Oh wow! I'll have to update my request list then, to include all 6 of the new pins.

Which Book 1 cover will the print be of? The Fantagraphics Book 1 "the Ronin" or the Saga Book 1? (If I recall, the cover of Saga 1 is a large print already... is that the Book 1 print you're referring to?)

Any preview for the "new art" print?
Last edited by maichan on Thu Jul 12, 2018 22:42 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby jabba359 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 22:39 +0000

If we don't get any pictures ahead of time, I'll make sure to take some of all the new merchandise on preview night and I'll post on the Dojo Facebook page (since it's way easier to post pictures straight to Facebook than it is to post them here from my phone).
-Kyle
jabba359

Next

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum