EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

IDW Usagi Yojimbo #1 in Previews

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: IDW Usagi Yojimbo #1 in Previews

Postby maichan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 21:45 +0000

I'm not one to inspect my comics when I purchase them, so I minor imperfections don't really bother me (as long as pages aren't ripped, etc).

Still, I wonder if the damage these books are having is due to poor handling/packing/shipping, or if it's something that happens during production?
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby jabba359 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 22:22 +0000

maichan wrote:Still, I wonder if the damage these books are having is due to poor handling/packing/shipping, or if it's something that happens during production?

The place that talked to me more extensively about it said they thought in the printing stage. If the TMNT covers I saw a few months ago were any indication, I'm inclined to agree. The scuffs on the covers were consistently in the same exact spot on all the covers, which tells me it was equipment doing the damage. If shipping were causing damage, I'd expect to see variation in the damage location.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Mayhem » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:31 +0000

So the damage for the Legends variant is all printer issues as well, not shipping from Diamond? Yeah definitely then, something up with the printing unit that IDW currently use then! :shock:
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby mrmikeryan108 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:37 +0000

Release Day!!! Looks like some printing issues, but I still think Stan's cover looks the best! I can't wait to read it. Did everyone get the variants of choice?
mrmikeryan108
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby jabba359 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:50 +0000

Mayhem wrote:So the damage for the Legends variant is all printer issues as well, not shipping from Diamond? Yeah definitely then, something up with the printing unit that IDW currently use then! :shock:

I don't know about Legends, but Jak's said they thought it was printing damage.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Casey Burns » Wed Jun 19, 2019 20:16 +0000

Rode a bike thru the rain in Manhattan after work tonight from Flatiron down to Forbidden Planet, and they had sold out of the first issue! So I made my way down to a tiny hippie shop in the west village (Carmine St Comics) and snagged their last copy. Sounds like people are really tuning into the new debut and snatching up this first issue.

I love that the new series starts out with Sasuke. I really like this rarely-seen character and am glad he'll be around for a few issues.
Colors look great, of course. Congrats on the new debut, Stan, really enjoying the setup of the first new story.
Casey Burns Creative
http://caseyburnscreative.com
Casey Burns

Postby jabba359 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 23:28 +0000

On another positive note, the Brave New World, Collector's Paradise/Nowhere Mike Choi covers, the signing tour/SDCC, and blank covers all look to be in good shape. The owner of Collector's Paradise told me he thought the damage (when I asked if he had issues and told him about the other stores) might potentially be from the super tight band that wraps around the stacks of comic books. So maybe not a printing issue, but a bundling issue.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Shadowfax » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:17 +0000

Any word on ordering the Brave New World variant cover? They posted their signing event with Chris Johnson on FaceBook, but are ignoring all my inquiries about ordering a copy online?

Shadowfax
Shadowfax

Postby jabba359 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:47 +0000

Shadowfax wrote:Any word on ordering the Brave New World variant cover? They posted their signing event with Chris Johnson on FaceBook, but are ignoring all my inquiries about ordering a copy online?

Shadowfax

I'll probably be going up there tomorrow, so let me know if you want me to grab you a copy. Their online price plus shipping is pretty expensive (at least the pre-order was $20 + 7 shipping). In store was $16.34 after tax and shipping should be just a few bucks.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Shadowfax » Thu Jun 20, 2019 13:08 +0000

Jabba sez:
I'll probably be going up there tomorrow, so let me know if you want me to grab you a copy. Their online price plus shipping is pretty expensive (at least the pre-order was $20 + 7 shipping). In store was $16.34 after tax and shipping should be just a few bucks.

Kyle, that would be *very* much appreciated! They still haven't responded to all my inquiries, no information on ordering online. I think I managed to snag ALL the other variant covers that are currently available!

Thanks again, send me a pm with cost and details, I'll send you my mailing address.

Shadowfax
Shadowfax

Postby Steve Hubbell » Thu Jun 20, 2019 13:59 +0000

Shadowfax wrote:Jabba sez:

Kyle, that would be *very* much appreciated! They still haven't responded to all my inquiries, no information on ordering online. I think I managed to snag ALL the other variant covers that are currently available!

Thanks again, send me a pm with cost and details, I'll send you my mailing address.

Shadowfax

I was only able to pre-order a copy after actually calling the store to inquire....
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby seimaki » Thu Jun 20, 2019 15:14 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:
Shadowfax wrote:Jabba sez:

Shadowfax

I was only able to pre-order a copy after actually calling the store to inquire....

I had the same experience a few weeks ago when I stopped by the store. I could order it while I was there. But, they weren't a possible stop for me on my way back up yesterday. So, again, thank you Kyle! I didn't see anything off with the Excelsior or Collector's Paradise issue covers. Waiting for the order to come in from Fresno, maybe today.
seimaki

Postby jabba359 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 18:05 +0000

Slab City will not be sending out any of their copies at this time due to printing damage. Here's what they wrote on Facebook:

Today we have been processing our Stan Sakai Exclusive for Usagi Yojimbo #1 and the print run has some issues. (Colour rub & print roller damage)
Here at Slab City Comics we are dedicated to give you the best product we can and these do not meet our high standard.
We will not been sending any out and we are working with IDW Publishing to get this sorted and reprinted as it is throughout the whole run.
Please comment below to keep up to date.
Appoligies
Slab City Comics
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby maichan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 21:09 +0000

Oh, that's a bummer. Hopefully IDW can get things straightened out and fix it for everyone.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Previous

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum