EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

We miss you, Tomoe.

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: We miss you, Tomoe.

Postby estee » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:56 +0000

Thanks to Usagi I've discerned that there are many different kinds of suicide. Each with its own social requirements.

Seppuku is used when honour must be maintained.

There is no dishonour is being married. It may suck. But it's not dishonourable.

If she killed herself it may be considered "shinju" or lovers' suicide. And she would probably hang herself

And I don't believe Tomoe would kill herself. She is a samurai and would obey her lord if he said she was to marry.

And it wouldn't be that horrible. Think of her children, how blessed they would be to have such a mother as her.

The story possibilities are wide open. :D
estee
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby maichan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:01 +0000

Generally I do not "want" or wish for stories or characters to go one way or another, for that would only be speculation and wishful thinking on my part, and if my expectations are not met, that might result in me being disappointed. Since only Sensei Sakai knows the true outcome of everyone's lives in the Usagiverse, I will patiently wait for him to tell and show us what happens for each character, even if that means some stories are to remain untold. It's not to say I wouldn't like to see certain things happen, or new story lines developed, but I respect Stan's story telling, no matter where it leads, and I eagerly await whatever surprises may lie ahead.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby estee » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:04 +0000

maichan wrote:Generally I do not "want" or wish for stories or characters to go one way or another, for that would only be speculation and wishful thinking on my part, and if my expectations are not met, that might result in me being disappointed. Since only Sensei Sakai knows the true outcome of everyone's lives in the Usagiverse, I will patiently wait for him to tell and show us what happens for each character, even if that means some stories are to remain untold. It's not to say I wouldn't like to see certain things happen, or new story lines developed, but I respect Stan's story telling, no matter where it leads, and I eagerly await whatever surprises may lie ahead.

Spoken like a true fan. 8)
estee

Postby lookatyouhacker » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:08 +0000

estee wrote:I always considered Senso to be fan fiction that happened to be written by the Creator.

Stan wrote that for the fans more than anyone. :D

There's an Usagi Yojimbo Saga volume that isn't numbered, but is instead called "Legends" which also contains Space Usagi and Yokai. It's meant to be where all the non-canon stuff is, though I think Yokai is the most deserving of being canon due to everything in it being consistent with the franchise's setting and it even features Sasuke the demon queller and gives us insight into his backstory.

Robert Kassebaum wrote:There's another possibility-she committed seppuku after the tea ceremony (DH issue 93). She put every thing on the line to show how much she care for Usagi. And what does he do? He walks out. She so emotionally distraught from the rejection, I wouldn't put it past her.

If that were the case, she wouldn't have come back in Senso. Plus, she knew before the tea ceremony that she and Usagi would have to part ways. He didn't reject her; they just gracefully accepted that they couldn't be together.

maichan wrote:Generally I do not "want" or wish for stories or characters to go one way or another, for that would only be speculation and wishful thinking on my part, and if my expectations are not met, that might result in me being disappointed. Since only Sensei Sakai knows the true outcome of everyone's lives in the Usagiverse, I will patiently wait for him to tell and show us what happens for each character, even if that means some stories are to remain untold. It's not to say I wouldn't like to see certain things happen, or new story lines developed, but I respect Stan's story telling, no matter where it leads, and I eagerly await whatever surprises may lie ahead.

I just don't want such a popular longtime character to be abandonded. I really hope that Stan Sakai himself would have something to say on this thread, but he might be busy.
Last edited by lookatyouhacker on Thu Jul 11, 2019 14:53 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker

Postby estee » Sat Jun 08, 2019 17:13 +0000

I think Stan should do an anthology title. Separate from the core book.

A space where other characters can shine, like Gen, Chizu and even past characters like Inazuma.

Maybe open it up for other creators. :D
estee

Postby lookatyouhacker » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:06 +0000

Bad news, guys. I asked Stan himself about letting Tomoe come back, and he had this to say:

There are no plans for Tomoe to return in the near future.

So, yeah. He's practically abandoning her. It'll be like she never existed.
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker

Postby Maka » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:12 +0000

lookatyouhacker wrote:Bad news, guys. I asked Stan himself about letting Tomoe come back, and he had this to say:

Well, if I can wait 14 years, I can wait a little longer. Don’t worry though, new Usagi stories in color will be here soon. That will help with the wait for Tomoe. :)

There is just too many stories to tell and only one Stan. :)
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby lookatyouhacker » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:07 +0000

Good point. In fact, remember when Estee said this,

estee wrote:I think Stan should do an anthology title. Separate from the core book.

A space where other characters can shine, like Gen, Chizu and even past characters like Inazuma.

The "open it up for other creators" part may be a great idea. After all, Fairy Tail's manga-ka, Hiro Mashima, let Rui Watanabe, Kyouta Shibano and a few others make Fairy Tail spin-offs.
Last edited by lookatyouhacker on Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:25 +0000, edited 1 time in total.

lookatyouhacker

Postby jabba359 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:16 +0000

lookatyouhacker wrote:Bad news, guys. I asked Stan himself about letting Tomoe come back, and he had this to say:

Well, to be fair, he's already written out the stories through the end of the year and drawn a good chunk of that, so it's too late for this year. And I'd guess Stan already has a pretty good idea of his storyline for next year, so Tomoe not appearing in the "near future" isn't unexpected.

That's the one downside to Stan writing, drawing and lettering his own stories, combined with having so many characters; there's only so many of them that can fit into a given years' seven or so issues. I'm just glad that Gen is finally making his return at the end of the year.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Stan Sakai » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:35 +0000

I never said I abandoned her. Please do not read more into my answer than I stated.

The main reason for Tomoe not appearing soon is Usagi's location, physically, in the country. He is going north towards the Sendai region, very far from the Geishu Province near Hiroshima.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Stan Sakai » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:37 +0000

estee wrote:I think Stan should do an anthology title. Separate from the core book.

It's already been pitched and is on hold until the completion of another, unannounced, project that should appear in 2020.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby lookatyouhacker » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:22 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:

I never said I abandoned her. Please do not read more into my answer than I stated.

The main reason for Tomoe not appearing soon is Usagi's location, physically, in the country. He is going north towards the Sendai region, very far from the Geishu Province near Hiroshima.

Sorry for putting words into your mouth. :cry: I just find it frustrating that a beloved character that has been away for so long will have her leave of absence prolonged even more. :cry: :x Anyway, if that side-story project will be underway after that other project comes out next year, then I'm gonna look forward to it. :lol: :o

lookatyouhacker

Postby Angilasman » Sun Jun 09, 2019 19:16 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:
It's already been pitched and is on hold until the completion of another, unannounced, project that should appear in 2020.

Ooooooh, intriguing.

Stan, I'd always wanted to ask you how much thought you put into the geography of where Usagi is, but you answered that question by answering another question!
Angilasman

Postby Stan Sakai » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:16 +0000

Angilasman wrote:
Stan Sakai wrote:

Ooooooh, intriguing.

Stan, I'd always wanted to ask you how much thought you put into the geography of where Usagi is, but you answered that question by answering another question!

Not only the geography, but the seasons as well. The stories from Book 28: Red Scorpion to Book 31: The Hell Screen took place over one long, rainy summer. It is now about October and Usagi is headed for an early winter.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Angilasman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:50 +0000

^ Fantastic!
Angilasman

PreviousNext

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum