EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

We miss you, Tomoe.

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: We miss you, Tomoe.

Postby maichan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:58 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:I never said I abandoned her. Please do not read more into my answer than I stated.

The main reason for Tomoe not appearing soon is Usagi's location, physically, in the country. He is going north towards the Sendai region, very far from the Geishu Province near Hiroshima.

Thank you for the clarification, Sensei.

I know Usagi, Tomoe and the other characters are all in good hands. I hope we will see her again, when the time is right.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby maichan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:15 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:
Angilasman wrote:
Stan Sakai wrote:
It's already been pitched and is on hold until the completion of another, unannounced, project that should appear in 2020.

Ooooooh, intriguing.

Stan, I'd always wanted to ask you how much thought you put into the geography of where Usagi is, but you answered that question by answering another question!

Not only the geography, but the seasons as well. The stories from Book 28: Red Scorpion to Book 31: The Hell Screen took place over one long, rainy summer. It is now about October and Usagi is headed for an early winter.

How neat! This goes to show how much thought Sensei Sakai puts into writing and drawing Usagi's stories!

Stan, I know it has come up in conversation before (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7810), but do you have an actual timeframe worked out as to how many years have passed since we were first introduced to Usagi? How many years have passed in Usagi's world?

Also, regarding the topic of geography - Stan, have you considered ever drawing a map (or maps), that show Usagi's journey across Japan? It would be neat to see where he's been and when.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby estee » Mon Jun 10, 2019 13:41 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:
estee wrote:I think Stan should do an anthology title. Separate from the core book.

A space where other characters can shine, like Gen, Chizu and even past characters like Inazuma.

Maybe open it up for other creators. :D

It's already been pitched and is on hold until the completion of another, unannounced, project that should appear in 2020.

What a great time to be an Usagi Fan!

Well it's always been a great time...but darn it things are really coming up Milhouse lately!

The book is in colour again, lots of new projects in the works...boo-ya! :D
estee
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Angilasman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 15:44 +0000

You know, it can be hard for me to realize that a character has been gone for a long time because I'm always rereading old stories, either just because I felt like it or because I bought some sort of new edition.
Angilasman

Postby lookatyouhacker » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:49 +0000

Well, if there is to be a new series focusing on Usagi's supporting cast, similar to Sonic Universe, then maybe the Tomoe marriage would be better off being resolved in that instead. And if other creators are to lend to the project, then Eshbaal's The Funny Man would be an excellent contribution to it.

Still, I am a little curious about that other Usagi project slated for next year that is currently taking precidence, though. But I don't think Stan Sakai wants to spoil anything for us.
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker

Postby Maka » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:02 +0000

Angilasman wrote:You know, it can be hard for me to realize that a character has been gone for a long time because I'm always rereading old stories, either just because I felt like it or because I bought some sort of new edition.

I think this is why I didn’t realize Tomoe hadn’t been in a comic for 14 years. I’ve seen her in stories that I had been retreading. :lol: peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Maka » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:10 +0000

I’m hoping the unannounced project is something Stan mentioned in a podcast interview. But I don’t want to be the spoiler (and I have no insiders knowledge). Check out the IDW website for the link to the podcast and listen closely. :). At least, I think that is the one. Otherwise it’s the Culture Chat with Mimi Chan. Peace, maka
Maka

Postby lookatyouhacker » Tue Jun 11, 2019 16:31 +0000

I have actually listened to both of them and I'm not sure of either of them contains mentioning of the new project. Anyway, if a new series will focus on Usagi's supporting cast, do you think it's better for the Tomoe marriage subplot to be resolved in that rather than the main series, since Usagi's wanderings could end up being antagonistic to the amount of screen... er... page time that his friends get?
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker

Postby Eshbaal » Tue Jun 11, 2019 17:24 +0000

lookatyouhacker wrote:Well, if there is to be a new series focusing on Usagi's supporting cast, similar to Sonic Universe, then maybe the Tomoe marriage would be better off being resolved in that instead. And if other creators are to lend to the project, then Eshbaal's The Funny Man would be an excellent contribution to it.

Still, I am a little curious about that other Usagi project slated for next year that is currently taking precidence, though. But I don't think Stan Sakai wants to spoil anything for us.

Oh now you're just being a flatterer. No sure how publishable my scribbles are, heh.

As for future projects, I am still just waiting for ANY news whatsoever on the supposed cartoon, but still - lots of cool things happening lately. Looking forward to getting my mitts on those first IDW issues, too!

As for the subject of the thread - you just do you, Stan. I'm sure she'll reappear when it makes sense. Like everyone else, I've been re-reading stories so much (and besides, only really started reading like four to five years ago) that I never really noticed.
Eshbaal

Postby lookatyouhacker » Tue Jun 11, 2019 19:34 +0000

Of course Mariko and Zato-Ino have been absent from the comic for even longer periods of time, and the last time we saw them was in the Fantagraphics comics and we still haven't seen them again, but everything with them has been wrapped up. Tomoe's story, on the other hand, has ended on a cliffhanger and it's a bit frustrating to not know what happens next. And a lot of interesting stuff can be done with Noriko as well. Though anything involving her can wait until Usagi's journey leads him back to the Geishu province.

estee wrote:
maichan wrote:Generally I do not "want" or wish for stories or characters to go one way or another, for that would only be speculation and wishful thinking on my part, and if my expectations are not met, that might result in me being disappointed. Since only Sensei Sakai knows the true outcome of everyone's lives in the Usagiverse, I will patiently wait for him to tell and show us what happens for each character, even if that means some stories are to remain untold. It's not to say I wouldn't like to see certain things happen, or new story lines developed, but I respect Stan's story telling, no matter where it leads, and I eagerly await whatever surprises may lie ahead.

Spoken like a true fan. 8)

Well, to be fair, if some stories do remain untold, it can easily frustrate those interested in those stories. Granted, I respect that Stan Sakai gets to decide where the Tomoe marriage subplot goes. I just want it to go somewhere at all.
Last edited by lookatyouhacker on Wed Jun 12, 2019 14:32 +0000, edited 1 time in total.

lookatyouhacker

Postby lookatyouhacker » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:06 +0000

estee wrote:There is no dishonour is being married. It may suck. But it's not dishonourable.

She is a samurai and would obey her lord if he said she was to marry.

And it wouldn't be that horrible. Think of her children, how blessed they would be to have such a mother as her.

The story possibilities are wide open. :D

But on the other hand, it's hard for Tomoe not to be concerned that Noriyuki would be more vulnerable without her protecting him. She could easily worry that Horikawa intends to betray him once she's out of the way. I am hoping that the first scene involving Tomoe in the IDW comics, or more likely, in the spin-off series that will probably start in 2021, involves a conversation between her and Lord Noriyuki on the subject of Horikawa and she's concerned that he intends to betray him. Even saying that she finds it dubious that Horikawa would be even remotely concerned with her happiness considering that he attempted to smear her family name. She brings up Arimura as well as Councilor Oda who betrayed Noriyuki's father, and how they both reduce her confidence that Horikawa wouldn't betray Noriyuki either, and says that someone should keep an eye on him, but having her being the one doing it would be counter productive. If they find out that Horikawa doesn't have intentions of betraying Noriyuki, then Tomoe becomes more willing to go along with the marriage. I also hope she asks Horikawa if he would have just as much animosity towards her brother, Tajima, if he were an advisor to Noriyuki instead of her.

Though, I'd also like to add that after talking to Noriyuki about keeping and eye on Horikawa, Tomoe proposes that she visits zen monks to learn how to keep her emotions under control. She admits that she does get overly emotional and that it does work to her detriment, from her proofless accusations against Horikawa's ancestor worsening their animosity, to Noriko constantly beating her in their sparring matches as children, to Usagi having to restrain her in order to keep her from rushing to her doom, which happened twice in the Treasure of the Mother of Mountains, and once in Ghost in the Well. Because of this, she wants to learn how to keep her emotions in check and thinks that doing so would benefit her.

lookatyouhacker

Postby Maka » Thu Jun 13, 2019 15:31 +0000

Stan mentioned he wanted to do a war of the worlds series many years before he finally had the time to do Senso. For me, that was worth the wait. I really enjoyed that elsewhere-like tale (especially the death of Jei).

When I heard about the arraigned marriage of Tomoe, I was disappointed. I always hoped Usagi and Tomoe would get together (like they did in Mother of Mountains) in the end. But in Japanese takes, the happy ending is almost never realized.

Lookatyourhacker, I see your desire to have a new Tomoe story. It is natural to want to see loose ends tied up. And 14 years is a long time. But for me, admittedly a solid Stan Sakai fanboy, I want Stan to keep on making the stories he would like to read. I trust that Stan will get to the Tomoe story eventually. But in the meanwhile, I look forward to more stories about puppets, magic, hanafuda ninjas, and whatever else Usagi world takes place. And Usagi in color! Man, I’m looking forward to that!

The unannounced project I thought would be a chibi Usagi graphic novel. But I’m told by someone who knows more than me (which isn’t hard to find) that is probably not it. So i’ll guess that it is Usagi Yojimbo versus My Little Pony in a total IDW mashup battle!
Maka

Postby Angilasman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 17:48 +0000

^ Usagi vs. Popeye!

(Not sure if IDW still has the Popeye license?)
Angilasman

Postby lookatyouhacker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:15 +0000

Maka wrote:Stan mentioned he wanted to do a war of the worlds series many years before he finally had the time to do Senso. For me, that was worth the wait. I really enjoyed that elsewhere-like tale (especially the death of Jei).

How long ago did he say that? And speaking of which, Senso does make me wonder if Stan had already decided where the Tomoe's marriage plot is going to go, but any answer he may provide for that question would give away spoilers.

Maka wrote:When I heard about the arraigned marriage of Tomoe, I was disappointed. I always hoped Usagi and Tomoe would get together (like they did in Mother of Mountains) in the end. But in Japanese takes, the happy ending is almost never realized.

Well, even without Tomoe's arranged marriage, there would still be things that could hinder Usagi and Tomoe's chances of staying together, such as Usagi's life as a wanderer.

lookatyouhacker

Postby maichan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:14 +0000

lookatyouhacker wrote:
Maka wrote:Stan mentioned he wanted to do a war of the worlds series many years before he finally had the time to do Senso. For me, that was worth the wait. I really enjoyed that elsewhere-like tale (especially the death of Jei).

How long ago did he say that? And speaking of which, Senso does make me wonder if Stan had already decided where the Tomoe's marriage plot is going to go, but any answer he may provide for that question would give away spoilers.

Maka wrote:When I heard about the arraigned marriage of Tomoe, I was disappointed. I always hoped Usagi and Tomoe would get together (like they did in Mother of Mountains) in the end. But in Japanese takes, the happy ending is almost never realized.

Well, even without Tomoe's arranged marriage, there would still be things that could hinder Usagi and Tomoe's chances of staying together, such as Usagi's life as a wanderer.

It's neat that you are passionate about the future of Tomoe and her relationship with Usagi.

I am happy to see Usagi, and the other characters, follow whatever path that Stan decides to write.

The thing with want and hoping for certain outcomes is that they don't always happen. Whatever we wish, is pure speculation on our parts. If Usagi and Tomoe were to marry, we don't know where it would go. If Usagi remains a wanderer is uncertain. The way I look at it is anything that hasn't been written and drawn, hasn't happened yet. Usagi's future is an open road, with countless forks in the road, and paths heading in new directions, for only his creator to determine where Usagi will turn. That's what I like about this Ronin Rabbit. We're not sure where the road leads, or what the future holds in store for all of us.

Would I like to see the Usagiverse expand? Yes, and no. I wouldn't mind seeing other artists and writers stories in the Usagiverse, as long as Stan retains control over the direction of things, because every little thing that happens, has an impact on the big picture. This was brought to my attention after listening to the Chris Schweizer interview with Stan. I think it would be neat to see stories with new characters, or stories where the main cast only has a supporting or minor (or no) role.

This is a great time to be a fan of Stan Sakai and Usagi Yojimbo. I look forward to what lies ahead.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

PreviousNext

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum