EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

We miss you, Tomoe.

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: We miss you, Tomoe.

Postby Maka » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:00 +0000

lookatyouhacker wrote:
Maka wrote:Stan mentioned he wanted to do a war of the worlds series many years before he finally had the time to do Senso. For me, that was worth the wait. I really enjoyed that elsewhere-like tale (especially the death of Jei).

How long ago did he say that? And speaking of which, Senso does make me wonder if Stan had already decided where the Tomoe's marriage plot is going to go, but any answer he may provide for that question would give away spoilers.

I want to say that Stan mentioned the War of the worlds thing over 20 years ago. I think I joined the original dojo board sometime in mid 1990s. I think on those early days message board, Stan mentioned it.

I think Stan has already loosely planned the marriage plot. But knowing how much historical and cultural research he likes to put into his stories, the fine details are not planned out yet.

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby estee » Fri Jun 14, 2019 14:53 +0000

Maka wrote:
lookatyouhacker wrote:
Maka wrote:Stan mentioned he wanted to do a war of the worlds series many years before he finally had the time to do Senso. For me, that was worth the wait. I really enjoyed that elsewhere-like tale (especially the death of Jei).

How long ago did he say that? And speaking of which, Senso does make me wonder if Stan had already decided where the Tomoe's marriage plot is going to go, but any answer he may provide for that question would give away spoilers.

I want to say that Stan mentioned the War of the worlds thing over 20 years ago. I think I joined the original dojo board sometime in mid 1990s. I think on those early days message board, Stan mentioned it.

I think Stan has already loosely planned the marriage plot. But knowing how much historical and cultural research he likes to put into his stories, the fine details are not planned out yet.

Peace, maka

I remember Stan mentioning it even in the comic book back in the day, like during Fantagraphics.

Oh man I feel really old now. Thanks guys. :oops: :D :cry: :mrgreen:
estee
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby lookatyouhacker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 14:59 +0000

Maka wrote:
lookatyouhacker wrote:

Peace, maka

Well, he did say, "I have been researching arranged marriages for the "Tomoe's Wedding" story arc, which will not be for many years." And he said in one or both of the recent podcast interview that there are a few stories that he plans out for over a decade, like one that he is currently doing based on the persecution of Christians in Japan.

So he announced that War of the Worlds story in the 1990s and actually released it in 2014.

maichan wrote:Would I like to see the Usagiverse expand? Yes, and no. I wouldn't mind seeing other artists and writers stories in the Usagiverse, as long as Stan retains control over the direction of things, because every little thing that happens, has an impact on the big picture. This was brought to my attention after listening to the Chris Schweizer interview with Stan. I think it would be neat to see stories with new characters, or stories where the main cast only has a supporting or minor (or no) role.

That's actually a suggestion I gave to Stan himself a while earlier, saying this:

Hi, Stan. estee and I have a suggestion for you. estee was hoping that you could open up for other creators an Usagi Yojimbo Gaiden series that could focus on members of Usagi's supporting cast and give them a chance to shine, such as Tomoe, Gen, Chizu, Sakura, and the like. But while these other creators will be the ones writing the stories, they'll need your authorization to get them published, and if you don't like a story or think that it tampers with what you've previously established, you can completely reject it. In Japan, there's a man named Hiro Mashima who is the manga-ka of Fairy Tail, and he let a few other creators give some of the series's side characters some stories of their own. So, I was wondering if you could do that too.

In addition to seeing Tomoe's wedding finally having its loose ends tied up, I'd also like to see an arc where she visits her brother, Tajima, checking to see how well he's been running the Falling-Rain school of fencing, and they talk about what they've been doing since the last time they saw each other. Tomoe would even tell him that she confronted their father's killer. In fact, I proposed that story idea when I started this topic in the first place.

I'd also like to see a few more arcs with Noriko as the villain, starting with one where we find out whether or not Lord Sanada really did discharge her from his service. I'll let Stan decide whether that's the case or not. Later on, we see her having loud angry arguments with him over weather or not they should attack the Geishu province and he's against it because that would disrupt the union between the Sanada and Geishu clans and show his true colors to the Geishu clan, going against everything they did to make sure that the gold mining operation, as well as his involvement in it, a secret from everyone else. Then Noriko furiously kills him, pins the blame on the Geishu, then takes over Lord Sanada's throne and taking his position of power, like Adam Taurus did with Sienna Kahn in RWBY. Even changing her nickname to The Blood Queen due to her ascension in rank. So, she leads an assault on Tomoe's home village, and even tries to burn the Falling Rain School of Fencing to the ground, with Tajima still inside, while he was battling her foot soldiers. One of her soldiers calls her out on it and she just says, "You can't make sushi without butchering fish." And Tomoe breaks into the school to try to save Tajima as she, her fellow Geishu samurai, Usagi, and (if Stan decided to have her marry a high ranking member of the Kojima Clan) some Kojima samurai fight to drive Noriko and her henchmen out of the village. I'll let Stan decide everything else that happens in that story.
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker

Postby estee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 17:43 +0000

Ahem...

Well we've all showed how we feel about Tomoe.

But if you'd like to see my views in greater detail, please read the latest chapter (Chapter 10) for more.

I hope you like it.

*forgive me lookatyouhacker for using your thread to plug my fan fiction* :oops:
estee

Postby lookatyouhacker » Tue Jun 18, 2019 17:53 +0000

I'll be sure to check it out. But in addition to Tomoe, I really want to see Noriko come back as well. I want to see more of just how awesomely evil she can be. I think it would be interesting if she attempted to use Horikawa's own animosities towards Tomoe to her own twisted advantage, even attempted to blackmail him into using Tomoe's marriage as a cover-up for assassinating her, (not that I think Sakai-sama intends to go this route) and you know how she prefers to humilate her opponents after defeating them? Well, I think it would make Noriko a much more menacing villain if she humiliated some of the male samurai she beat specifically by raping them!
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker

Postby lookatyouhacker » Wed Jun 26, 2019 19:40 +0000

While Stan hasn't decided when Tomoe's finally coming back, he still drew some pictures with her in them. Aside from the revised 119 cover art, he also drew these:

Last edited by lookatyouhacker on Mon Jul 08, 2019 19:19 +0000, edited 1 time in total.

lookatyouhacker

Postby Maka » Wed Jun 26, 2019 20:27 +0000

Those are so awesome! Lovely sketches! I saw the color one but not the black and white before. Thanks! Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby lookatyouhacker » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:54 +0000

You're welcome. It's good to know that even with Tomoe currently absent from the series, Stan is still making artworks with her in them. As tempted as I am to have my reaction to them be this:

Stan did point out that he still has a somewhat hard time deciding when she'll finally be back. Even in the upcoming "Usagi Yojimbo Supporting Cast Series," which will be out in 2021, I guess, the supporting cast is so massive that Sakai might not know who to focus on first. I can say, however, that the Tomoe marriage subplot would be better off being resolved in that simply because it must have happened quite a bit before the current bunraku storyline.

lookatyouhacker

Postby lookatyouhacker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 19:22 +0000

estee wrote:Lord Ito is the lord of the Kojima Province.

He's probably a nice man. But still...She's our Tomoe and no man is good enough for her. :D :oops:

True, but knowing Tomoe, I think she'd rather have an arranged marriage than hopelessly pine for someone who comes and goes at random, if only because the former option is actually productive. So, Horikawa's claim about her marriage making her happy wouldn't be completely false.

As for Ito, we see him again in issue 142, and yeah. He is a pretty nice guy.

lookatyouhacker

Postby lookatyouhacker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 15:33 +0000

estee wrote:What the hey now?!

THIRTEEN YEARS?!

I have the fervent hope that Tomoe is not simply going to be a dutiful wife, but pretty much take over whatever holdings Lord Ito has and become the true leader of the clan.

Her soul is in her sword. Not her mirror.

Which reminds me; when she came back in Senso, why was she married to Buichi Kubo instead?

lookatyouhacker

Previous

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum