EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

New Comic Wednesday

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

New Comic Wednesday

Postby Steve Hubbell » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:57 +0000

OK, picked up my copy today and was somewhat surprised at the local comic shop when I saw that a good portion of the copies the store had in stock suffered from the same production damage that plagued so many of the UY v4 #1 variant issues.

Since Usagi Yojimbo #1 was the first comic I ever bought from IDW, I am wondering if this a new problem or a recurring problem that IDW has been dealing with for a while.

Picked up my copy of the s/n ltd edition Usagi Yojimbo Book 33: The Hidden. I was surprised to see that it was #360 / 575. I had not realized that the print run had changed.

Can't wait to learn what Stan's reaction is to his first view of the 35th Anniversary Usagi Yojimbo Tribute book when he sees it today.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Re: New Comic Wednesday

Postby Maka » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:02 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:Picked up my copy of the s/n ltd edition Usagi Yojimbo Book 33: The Hidden. I was surprised to see that it was #360 / 575. I had not realized that the print run had changed.

Dear Steve, I don't have my HC on me, has the print run gone up or down? Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Maka » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:09 +0000

Never mind, I saw Rusty’s numbering on this thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4107&start=255
Maka

Postby Steve Hubbell » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:18 +0000

Maka wrote:Never mind, I saw Rusty’s numbering on this thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4107&start=255

Geez, I guess I had forgotten that it changed quantities several books ago..... :oops:
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Mayhem » Wed Jul 17, 2019 14:54 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:Since Usagi Yojimbo #1 was the first comic I ever bought from IDW, I am wondering if this a new problem or a recurring problem that IDW has been dealing with for a while.

Having bought and read IDW's TMNT series since the start, it's definitely only just happened. At least none of the entire variant run for every issue I own has suffered the same problem. It's very peculiar why now, and why Usagi.
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby Casey Burns » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:05 +0000

Is the damage to UY2 you're talking about like a series of creases across the spine and left side of the front cover? All the copies at Forbidden Planet in Manhattan had this problem.
Casey Burns Creative
http://caseyburnscreative.com
Casey Burns
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:41 +0000

Casey Burns wrote:Is the damage to UY2 you're talking about like a series of creases across the spine and left side of the front cover? All the copies at Forbidden Planet in Manhattan had this problem.

That is it....
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Gaffey » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:18 +0000

Casey Burns wrote:Is the damage to UY2 you're talking about like a series of creases across the spine and left side of the front cover? All the copies at Forbidden Planet in Manhattan had this problem.
There were a lot of Vess variant covers with those same creases. You had to take every comic out of the bag until you found an acceptable copy.

My Usagi/TMNT orange cover also has a bad crease on it, but that came out years ago. Wasn't that printed by IDW or was it Dark Horse?
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Trevis Woods » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:00 +0000

Mine also had that damage yesterday. Hope they are able to fix this issue in the future. I guess we will find out next month!
Trevis Woods

Postby Gaffey » Thu Jul 18, 2019 14:59 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:Picked up my copy of the s/n ltd edition Usagi Yojimbo Book 33: The Hidden. I was surprised to see that it was #360 / 575. I had not realized that the print run had changed.
I've been buying my hardcovers from IST for years and they SOLD OUT within minutes of being listed on their site. Cheap Graphic Novels is SOLD OUT and so is Tales of Wonder. I asked about back ordering a copy and was told the book is already SOLD OUT at the distributor level. None to be found on eBay and I don't see any on Amazon either. I did see one on TFAW but I'd rather give Stan my money. Hopefully he has an AP left after SDCC.

I just don't see new IDW fans going out and buying the final limited edition hardcover.
Gaffey

Postby maichan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 21:47 +0000

Gaffey wrote:
I've been buying my hardcovers from IST for years and they SOLD OUT within minutes of being listed on their site. Cheap Graphic Novels is SOLD OUT and so is Tales of Wonder. I asked about back ordering a copy and was told the book is already SOLD OUT at the distributor level. None to be found on eBay and I don't see any on Amazon either. I did see one on TFAW but I'd rather give Stan my money. Hopefully he has an AP left after SDCC.

I just don't see new IDW fans going out and buying the final limited edition hardcover.

Interesting....

My local comic book store, where I've been buying the HCs from for a long time, told me the were not sent their full allocation that they requested. They ordered 3, and only received one. They didn't know if they would still receive the other two, or if they'd even receive any more at all.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Mayhem » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:49 +0000

May have to check my LCS is getting in my copy of the #33 h/c then :shock:

If it's creases and the so forth, can quite easily be how Diamond packs its comics for shipment to stores, they are known for putting too tight bands on the blocks of comics they ship. My LCS complains about some of their issues arriving like that.
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby Steve Hubbell » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:24 +0000

Mayhem wrote:If it's creases and the so forth, can quite easily be how Diamond packs its comics for shipment to stores, they are known for putting too tight bands on the blocks of comics they ship. My LCS complains about some of their issues arriving like that.

But the Usagi Yojimbo v4 #1 store variants that had the problem were not shipped through Diamond.....
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby ChicagoGuy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 14:52 +0000

Unfortunately those creases happen more often than I would like with IDW books. I collect their Transformers, TMNT (along with various spin offs, Color Classics, Urban Legends), and now Usagi. It doesn’t happen often but every once in awhile every copy that my comic shop gets in has those types of creases. It makes me wonder if certain printers that IDW uses are just worse and more likely to cause these creases to happen. Hopefully it remains a rare occurrence with the Usagi books.
ChicagoGuy

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum