EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

COMPLETE GRASSCUTTER - Photo review

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: COMPLETE GRASSCUTTER - Photo review

Postby TommyB » Tue Jul 30, 2019 16:13 +0000

Thanks for posting all the pictures! Like several others, I also thought it was only the first book of GrassCutter. The images make me want to make the drive to Baltimore Con even more!
TommyB
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby SHB » Tue Jul 30, 2019 18:09 +0000

I was excited to order the book before seeing these photos and now my excitement has increased. Any idea of when the purchasing opportunity will begin? That is for those of us who could not make the pilgrimage to SDCC.

SHB
SHB

Postby Kaimuki » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:45 +0000

Thank you so much for the most awesome review Maichan!!
Love the detailed photos!!
Kaimuki

Postby Texcap » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:54 +0000

Thank you for the review, the book looks incredible. I'm probably a little too stressed thinking that I might miss out on this, checking in every few days to see if there is some news as to a release date, and final price. "Grasscutter" is one or my favorite Usagi stories, if not my favorite, so this is an absolute must buy...

...well everything Usagi-related is, but this is even moreso!
Texcap

Postby Gaffey » Mon Aug 05, 2019 18:34 +0000

Walt Simonson's Star Wars Artist Edition comes out this week so Grasscutter can't be that far behind!
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby david20009 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:44 +0000

maichan wrote:There are also some interior differences, as well as a third book option which I'm not sure that any were available at SDCC.

The limited run of 50 sketch versions were not available at SDCC. The dinner editions came with the plastic removed (and missing that small promotional sheet) and also don't have the signed and numbered bookplates. They do have a gold seal of sorts on an interior page with the date of the dinner. I'll grab a picture later.

I was fortunate enough that Kyle was kind enough to pick up a copy of the book at SDCC too.

So the only differences between the regular book out of 999 and the dinner book out of 50 are:

1) The slip case has gold foil, not silver foil?
2) The signed and numbered page is missing and in its place is a page with a gold foil commemorating the dinner? (Do you happen to have a photo of it.

Isn’t the third version of the book just an AP version. Meaning it will be the same as the /999 version except instead of having a number it will be just AP/999 and will come with a sketch by Sensei?
david20009

Postby Gaffey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:55 +0000

I wonder what's taking IDW so long to put the extra SILVER copies from SDCC up for sale?

*takes deep breath*

Gaffey

Postby maichan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:31 +0000

Gaffey wrote:I wonder what's taking IDW so long to put the extra SILVER copies from SDCC up for sale?

*takes deep breath*

Yeah, I think there are a lot of people eager to get a copy. I was just talking about it yesterday with one of the guys at my LCBS since he's a big Usagi fan. Even they don't have any idea, and they know people at IDW... :roll:
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Gaffey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:56 +0000

I heard back from IDW!

We are hoping to get this available to purchase in September.
Gaffey

Postby Maka » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:20 +0000

Yay! Thanks for the update, Gaffey!
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Gaffey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 14:15 +0000

I received two messages in one day. This one was from IDW Facebook. They must have thought I was referring to the Gold foil edition because why wouldn't they sell the book online? I'm just going to sit back and wait it out. No more fretting. I swear. :lol:

As of right now there are no official plans to sell them online. If anything changes, we will be sure to make an announcement
Gaffey

Postby jabba359 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 19:17 +0000

david20009 wrote:
maichan wrote:There are also some interior differences, as well as a third book option which I'm not sure that any were available at SDCC.

The limited run of 50 sketch versions were not available at SDCC. The dinner editions came with the plastic removed (and missing that small promotional sheet) and also don't have the signed and numbered bookplates. They do have a gold seal of sorts on an interior page with the date of the dinner. I'll grab a picture later.

I was fortunate enough that Kyle was kind enough to pick up a copy of the book at SDCC too.

So the only differences between the regular book out of 999 and the dinner book out of 50 are:

1) The slip case has gold foil, not silver foil?
2) The signed and numbered page is missing and in its place is a page with a gold foil commemorating the dinner? (Do you happen to have a photo of it.

Isn’t the third version of the book just an AP version. Meaning it will be the same as the /999 version except instead of having a number it will be just AP/999 and will come with a sketch by Sensei?

There are a few versions:
1) IDW dinner gold slipcase version with no bookplate but with a gold seal. Limited to the number of Sakai attendees at the dinner. I think I see 23 on the table in a picture I took, but vaguely recall counting copies into the low 30s while at the dinner, so maybe I'm remembering incorrectly (or maybe there were some not on the table, therefore weren't in my picture).
2) Signed edition, limited to 999 with a numbered bookplate xxx of 999.
3) Sketched edition, limited to 50 with a numbered bookplate xx of 50.
4) And if I'm reading correctly, AP copies of the sketch edition, with bookplate (xxAP of 50? - not that there are 50 AP copies, but that they used the extra sketched bookplates which are pre-printed with "____ of 50" to produce the AP copies).

Here's the gold seal. Nothing too fancy.

-Kyle
jabba359

Postby david20009 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 19:39 +0000

jabba359 wrote:
4) And if I'm reading correctly, AP copies of the sketch edition, with bookplate (xxAP of 50? - not that there are 50 AP copies, but that they used the extra sketched bookplates which are pre-printed with "____ of 50" to produce the AP copies).

Thanks for the photo of the seal.

So 3 and 4 are exactly the same except in 3 it will be xx of 50 while 4 will be AP of 50? Similar to how the AP Usagi Saga books are the same as the regular Usagi Books. I have an AP of Usagi Saga 1 and it just says AP of 900 and includes a great Usagi sketch but appears to me to be exactly the same as the regular Usagi book except AP was written by hand instead of a number written by hand in from of the "of 900"

I have just assumed the AP versions where hardcovers given to Sensei to do with how he pleased but I could easily be wrong. I purchased my Usagi Saga 1 AP directly from him.
david20009

Postby jabba359 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 19:57 +0000

david20009 wrote:
jabba359 wrote:

Thanks for the photo of the seal.

So 3 and 4 are exactly the same except in 3 it will be xx of 50 while 4 will be AP of 50? Similar to how the AP Usagi Saga books are the same as the regular Usagi Books. I have an AP of Usagi Saga 1 and it just says AP of 900 and includes a great Usagi sketch but appears to me to be exactly the same as the regular Usagi book except AP was written by hand instead of a number written by hand in from of the "of 900"

I have just assumed the AP versions where hardcovers given to Sensei to do with how he pleased but I could easily be wrong. I purchased my Usagi Saga 1 AP directly from him.

I'm not certain on #4 if that's how it'll be, just my possibly confused interpretation of what I read. Traditionally (with Dark Horse), the AP copies are given to Stan (and numbered as "xxAP of 575" or whatever number was pre-printed on the bookplate - with "xxAP" being hand numbered, though sometimes they were just hand written as "AP" with no number, as you got). Stan would then sell them in his online store and at conventions. They used the standard bookplates used for the hardcovers.

Since this is Stan's first bookplated book from IDW, I'm not sure what to expect as far as AP copies being provided to him. From what I read, it sounded like the AP copies for this would use the sketch bookplates (I think Stan said he did 60 or so, 50 for the sketch edition and the rest as extras).
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Maka » Thu Aug 15, 2019 20:08 +0000

I’m kinda glad this is might be available in September. I spend so much on Usagi merchandise with the IDW & Dogu & 35 UYD promotions, I somewhat shocked my wife. :oops: But I’m lucky, Cheryl understands that Usagi and this dojo brings me a lot of joy and meaning. Still, having a month before making another big cost purchase is better for me. :lol:

Peace, maka
Maka

PreviousNext

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum