EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

FAN EXPO Canada

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

FAN EXPO Canada

Postby Steve Hubbell » Mon Aug 05, 2019 18:18 +0000

FAN EXPO Canada
August 22 - August 25 2019
Metro Toronto Convention Centre
Thurs: 4:00PM-9:00PM, Fri: 10:00AM-7:00PM, Sat: 10:00AM-7:00PM, Sun: 10:00AM-5:00PM

Curious as to who all might be going to this, and when....

Personally, my plans are to drive into Toronto on Wednesday (8-21), hit the expo on Thursday (8-22), and head home on Friday (8-23)

We have reservations for two nights at the Residence Inn by Marriott (Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District) a couple blocks from the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

Hoping we can just park the car in one of the Parking Panda lots on Wednesday and retrieve it on Friday when we are ready to head out.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Re: FAN EXPO Canada

Postby estee » Tue Aug 06, 2019 14:17 +0000

Oh heck yeah am I going!!

Been waiting years for this!!

Going to every day. Lots of ppl I wanna see other than Stan.

Gail Simone...Phil Jimmenz...not to mention celebrities like Edward James Olmos and Sean Young.

Alas, Rutger Hauer passed away or I would have seen him too. :cry:

But gonna see Stan...get him to sign stuff. Totally nerding out on the poor man.

First I gotta break my Albedo #2 out of the stupid CGC case. Gotta get that bad boy signed.
estee
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Gaffey » Tue Aug 06, 2019 16:13 +0000

Looks like one heck of a guest list. Plus you get to visit Toronto!

estee wrote:First I gotta break my Albedo #2 out of the stupid CGC case. Gotta get that bad boy signed.
Are you going for the interior or cover signature?

Also, don't forget to take your copies of UY #35 to get signed by Ken Steacy. :)
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby estee » Tue Aug 06, 2019 16:42 +0000

Gaffey wrote:Looks like one heck of a guest list. Plus you get to visit Toronto!

estee wrote:First I gotta break my Albedo #2 out of the stupid CGC case. Gotta get that bad boy signed.
Are you going for the interior or cover signature?

Also, don't forget to take your copies of UY #35 to get signed by Ken Steacy. :)

Not sure about where to get Albedo signed.

I'll grab UY #35 right now!! Thanks. Love Ken Steacy for like ever. :D
estee

Postby Ghost9 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:20 +0000

I'll be there! I am an art rep for about 20 artists (Modern Mythology Comic Art), including Phil Jimenez, so I'll be at his table all weekend helping him navigate sketches and signatures. Hope to see some of you there!
Ghost9

Postby Maka » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:35 +0000

Ghost9 wrote:I'll be there! I am an art rep for about 20 artists (Modern Mythology Comic Art), including Phil Jimenez, so I'll be at his table all weekend helping him navigate sketches and signatures. Hope to see some of you there!

Ghost9, You’re a art rep? Sounds cool. What does that mean; what do you do? Is that a side job or full time thing? If you don’t mind me asking. Thanks! Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Ghost9 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:58 +0000

Maka wrote:
Ghost9 wrote:I'll be there! I am an art rep for about 20 artists (Modern Mythology Comic Art), including Phil Jimenez, so I'll be at his table all weekend helping him navigate sketches and signatures. Hope to see some of you there!

Ghost9, You’re a art rep? Sounds cool. What does that mean; what do you do? Is that a side job or full time thing? If you don’t mind me asking. Thanks! Peace, maka

Hey Maka! So, I basically act on behalf of my artists as an agent of sorts. I sell their original art, I handle their commission lists/requests, I set up and manage convention appearances & signings, I help promote their work (published gigs, Kickstarters, etc), I review publisher contracts for them and help negotiate deals, etc. I started the company last June and we've had a lot of success and some key artists come on board. I'm really happy with how it's going. I don't do it full time as I have a pretty standard 9-5 that pays the bills, but I do it on the side. I was at C2E2 this year with many of my artists, will be in Toronto, and then will be at NYCC with 8-9 of my artists (and probably Dallas Fan Days with 3-4 of my artists). Feel free to check out our website www.modernmythologycomicart.com and social media: modernmythologycomicart on Instagram and Facebook and @ComicModern on Twitter. Thanks for asking!
Ghost9

Postby Maka » Thu Aug 15, 2019 19:59 +0000

Dear Ghost9, the business side of fandom fascinates me. It seems for popular artist, now is a great time to be an artist who does commissions. For those lucky enough to get a following, the commission market seems to be booming. I’m sure for every Jim Lee, there are 1,000s of artist who can’t make a much on commissions/art pages. Still, it’s amazing to see some of the prices people are paying for original art. I’m glad artists are able to get paid.

I didn’t realize how big sketchcovers commissions were. It’s a new collectors market today, did they even exist 10 years ago? I think you started your side business at the right time. Good luck! Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Thu Aug 15, 2019 20:33 +0000

Hey Josh (?), Is Phil Jimenez the only Modern Mythology artist that will be attending Fan Expo next week?
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby gbeepastelart » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:33 +0000

estee wrote:Oh heck yeah am I going!!

Been waiting years for this!!

Going to every day. Lots of ppl I wanna see other than Stan.

Gail Simone...Phil Jimmenz...not to mention celebrities like Edward James Olmos and Sean Young.

Alas, Rutger Hauer passed away or I would have seen him too. :cry:

But gonna see Stan...get him to sign stuff. Totally nerding out on the poor man.

First I gotta break my Albedo #2 out of the stupid CGC case. Gotta get that bad boy signed.

It appears that several members of the Dojo are planning to go to FAN EXPO Canada this weekend to visit Stan at his first convention appearance in Toronto. I'll be there on Friday, so if a bunch of you guys would like to meet up with me, we can try to arrange a group pic with Stan at his booth. Comment if you are interested or send me a PM on here, Instagram or Twitter @gbeepastelart and we can arrange a time to meet up. The first person who shows up and can tell me how Usagi got his scar above his eye will win my collection of 12 Sanguine Games Usagi buttons!
gbeepastelart

Postby estee » Mon Aug 19, 2019 18:23 +0000

Sure, I'd love to meet you guys.

I'm there for all four days.

Friday I have an early dinner reservation, so before 4:30pm would be best.
estee

Postby gbeepastelart » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:33 +0000

Any Usagi fans going to FAN EXPO Canada this weekend should know that if you have extra time, The Annual Japan Festival Canada will be going on Saturday and Sunday in Mississauga just west of Toronto which isn't far if you are driving. It is affiliated with Toronto's other popular convention Anime North (https://www.animenorth.com) and would be fun addition to your Fan Expo Weekend! :) https://japanfestivalcanada.com/
gbeepastelart

Postby gbeepastelart » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:46 +0000

gbeepastelart wrote:Any Usagi fans going to FAN EXPO Canada this weekend should know that if you have extra time, The Annual Japan Festival Canada will be going on Saturday and Sunday in Mississauga just west of Toronto which isn't far if you are driving. It is affiliated with Toronto's other popular convention Anime North (https://www.animenorth.com) and would be fun addition to your Fan Expo Weekend! :) https://japanfestivalcanada.com/

Apparently a Japanese Princess from the Imperial family will be attending.
gbeepastelart

Postby Gaffey » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:15 +0000

If IDW is there be sure to check out their booth. They might be selling the Grasscutter hardcovers.
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby gbeepastelart » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:24 +0000

estee wrote:Sure, I'd love to meet you guys.

I'm there for all four days.

Friday I have an early dinner reservation, so before 4:30pm would be best.

OK so how about meeting at Stan's booth at 1pm on Friday? I'll be wearing a Usagi Yojimbo T-Shirt so hopefully you won't miss me. I look forward to meeting you guys!
gbeepastelart

Next

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum