EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

IDW Usagi Yojimbo #3 SPOILERS!

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

IDW Usagi Yojimbo #3 SPOILERS!

Postby estee » Fri Aug 16, 2019 15:41 +0000

Usgagi: Where will you go now?
Sasuke: Wherever I am told. What about you? Where will you go?
Usagi: Wherever I want

Oh yeah, baby!

My boy Usagi he don't serve no body, no where, no how, no more! Boom!

He be his own man now.

Love that line. :D
estee
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: IDW Usagi Yojimbo #3 SPOILERS!

Postby lookatyouhacker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 19:59 +0000

And what do you think of Sasuke doing the jedi-mind trick on those two police officers? Does it remind you of "These are not the droids you're looking for"?
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker

Postby jabba359 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 20:45 +0000

lookatyouhacker wrote:And what do you think of Sasuke doing the jedi-mind trick on those two police officers? Does it remind you of "These are not the droids you're looking for"?

Funny you mention it, as that's what popped into my head as well as I read it. :D
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Maka » Fri Aug 16, 2019 22:15 +0000

Especially with the lightsaber . . .
Maka

Postby maichan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 14:18 +0000

I knew it! The Force is strong in Sasuke! :D

The following is spoken in my deep Orson Wells narrator voice "Does this mean the Usagiverse is part of the Star Wars Universe? Will we see Usagi battling with the Hutts? Will Sasuke encounter a Sith Leader? Oh, what adventures lie ahead for our heroes? Tune in next time, same Usagi time, same Usagi channel!"

"na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na YOJIMBO!!"
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Trevis Woods » Sat Aug 17, 2019 14:36 +0000

That panel on page 19 with Sasuke’s sword has so much more of a wow factor being in color. I loved it! That reveal was made for colors!
Some of the other pages in this issue had fantastic perspectives and layouts (pages 4/5, the Sasuke/Takagi stare down 12/13/14 and page 18 close up. The pacing on this issue was non stop and it flew by when reading it.
That cover for next month is sooooo good!
Fantastic story arc and a great start for the IDW run!
Trevis Woods

Postby jabba359 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 15:09 +0000

Trevis Woods wrote:That panel on page 19 with Sasuke’s sword has so much more of a wow factor being in color. I loved it! That reveal was made for colors!

The part that grabbed me, as far as coloring is concerned, was on page 10 where Sasuke pulls a Street Fighter move and makes Ryu's glowing Hadouken. That blue glow looked great.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Maka » Sat Aug 17, 2019 15:27 +0000

I’ve been thinking we should another UYD book club weekend using these first three issues/story arch. But do it on the Usagi Yojimbo! Page instead of the UYD page, since it is so much easier for people to post photos. Maybe next weekend. Stay tuned. :) peace, maka
Maka

Postby jabba359 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 16:08 +0000

So far I'll liking a lot of things with this move to IDW: better promotion for the book, the colors look great, and the variety of variant covers for issue #1.

Things I'm not liking: ads inside (though they're not too bad, with only a couple at the end of the issue), maybe a few too many variant covers (I wouldn't mind seeing one or two variants on occasion), book printing quality control problems (which are hopefully getting resolved), and my biggest dislike is the advertisement on the back cover instead of an extra piece of Usagi art. I miss seeing something from Julie, or one of Stan's monochromatic paint wash pieces on the rear cover.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sun Aug 18, 2019 18:57 +0000

Does not qualify for media mail any more because of the ads, and no letter page..... :(
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby maichan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 19:57 +0000

Maka wrote:I’ve been thinking we should another UYD book club weekend using these first three issues/story arch. But do it on the Usagi Yojimbo! Page instead of the UYD page, since it is so much easier for people to post photos. Maybe next weekend. Stay tuned. :) peace, maka

That sounds like it might be fun!

I'm curious though... the Usagi Yojimbo! page is a Group, administered by a fan who I am not familiar with. The page seems to be quite popular with only 620 members.

The Usagi Yojimbo Dojo however is a community page, and has over 13,000 "Likes" and "Followers"
I guess a community has different rules and settings than a group does. I know several of our Dojo Forum members adminitrate the FB Dojo page. Could we, should we set up a FB Dojo group if it is easier for members to contribute and participate?
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Stan Sakai » Sun Aug 18, 2019 20:07 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:...and no letter page..... :(

The letters page is our responsibility. We have one page with which we can do anything we want to. We don't get that many letters, but we had Story Notes in the first issue and there will be ones in #4&5 and I'll write a little something for #6's 35th anniversary issue. We received a couple of very nice fan art that I want to run, as well as some Chibi Usagi watercolors. I also want to do a little character profile when a reoccurring character shows up for the first time in the IDW run to give some background on him or her.

However, all this takes time, and we're swamped as it is. Ruth is doing some of the Story Notes so that is really helpful. Hopefully, things will settle down once the big convention season winds down in December. But then, we're already making plans for 2020 and it looks to be just as busy.

PS--We will have at least one variant cover for #6. I saw the pencils today, and it is incredible and hilarious.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby maichan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 20:23 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:The letters page is our responsibility. We have one page with which we can do anything we want to. We don't get that many letters, but we had Story Notes in the first issue and there will be ones in #4&5 and I'll write a little something for #6's 35th anniversary issue. We received a couple of very nice fan art that I want to run, as well as some Chibi Usagi watercolors. I also want to do a little character profile when a reoccurring character shows up for the first time in the IDW run to give some background on him or her.

However, all this takes time, and we're swamped as it is. Ruth is doing some of the Story Notes so that is really helpful. Hopefully, things will settle down once the big convention season winds down in December. But then, we're already making plans for 2020 and it looks to be just as busy.

PS--We will have at least one variant cover for #6. I saw the pencils today, and it is incredible and hilarious.

Thank you Stan! It all sounds good. :D

There is so much more to publishing a comic than most of us probably realize. In time, I'm sure all good things will come. :D
Last edited by maichan on Sun Aug 18, 2019 21:33 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Angilasman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 20:33 +0000

Seeing that closeup of Usagi's face as the puppets swarmed him on page 18 has fully sold me on the color. Just seeing the pink in his eyes added that little extra punch!
Angilasman

Postby lookatyouhacker » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:39 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:However, all this takes time, and we're swamped as it is. Ruth is doing some of the Story Notes so that is really helpful. Hopefully, things will settle down once the big convention season winds down in December. But then, we're already making plans for 2020 and it looks to be just as busy.

Such as the Chibi Usagi project. Of course, I was hoping your 2020 project would be a third Space Usagi.
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker

Next

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum