EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

IDW Usagi Yojimbo #6

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: IDW Usagi Yojimbo #6

Postby jabba359 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:20 +0000

Mayhem wrote:Is that in Vegas? Anyone we know going to it?

I believe it's in Vegas. I'm chatting with a couple people about maybe going. If not, I have a friend who's a big Usagi fan that just got a job up there so he'll be moving to Vegas soon, so I can check with him as well.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby jabba359 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 21:08 +0000

I asked Ryan about the print on Instagram and here's his reply:

the print had to be temporarily taken done (sic), IDW doesn’t allow prints of covers to be sold until the book is released. It wasn’t a big deal seeing that it was already there but they just asked me to take it down until then

So it looks like I'll be able to order a print for myself once the comic comes out.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby maichan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 21:37 +0000

Thanks for getting right to the source and finding out about this.

I guess that means once the book is out, I'll get the print at the same time. :)
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby jabba359 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:52 +0000

Gaffey wrote:
Rumored, but unconfirmed:
Torpedo Comics
Sakai/Eastman "jam" cover
Now that Torpedo has confirmed Stan and Kevin's signing on November 30th we can assume that one or both of the above covers with be made.

From Stan's Facebook post today, it sounds like those two cover possibilities are going to be one and the same.

Stan Sakai Facebook page wrote:What better way to celebrate the 35th Anniversary of Usagi Yojimbo than by collaborating with my good friend Kevin Eastman, creator of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, to bring you an exclusive cover which also honors the 100th #TMNT issue. Join us on November 30 at Torpedo Comics in Las Vegas, Nevada to celebrate how far we’ve come and where we’re headed. Looking forward to meeting you all!
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby jabba359 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 20:33 +0000

Not available to pre-order yet, but you can check out the designs for some of the Dogu exclusive covers on the site now:

https://www.dogu.co/

I wonder if Dogu will be getting a pile of Darrow incentive covers since they ordered so many copies? The comic shop that was going to get some copies for a few of us didn't get any Darrow incentive covers with their exclusives (and Diamond and IDW don't have extras so they can't get any now). So now I'm on the hunt for some copies of the Darrow cover, hopefully for less than the $50 some other places are charging (I missed a copy for $15 on eBay the other day :cry:).

And since some of the details got posted in the TMNT #100 thread, I thought I'd update the list over here with what we should have for this release, if I'm understanding correctly:

Regular
Geof Darrow 1:25 retailer incentive
Blank (through Dogū)
Chibi virgin (through Dogū)
Foil virgin (through Dogū)
Jak's Tessa Rose (trade dress)
Jak's Tessa Rose (virgin)
Ryan R. Browne
Stan Sakai Studios Kevin Eastman jam cover (combines with TMNT #100) - trade dress
Stan Sakai Studios Kevin Eastman jam cover (combines with TMNT #100) - virgin
Torpedo Comics

Sources for some of the info:
Stan Sakai wrote:Kevin and I worked on the TMNT 100/UY 6 covers just the way that Walter Simonson and I did the Ragnarok/Usagi covers. I did the layout and inked the TMNT side and Kevin tightened up and inked the Usagi side. We also worked throughout the art as Walter and I did, so there is a lot of overlap of art.

This is a Dogu Exclusive through Daniel, so Dojo members should have no trouble getting a copy.

Dogu will also have a Chibi Exclusive that Julie drew, a blank cover, and a foil cover. Daniel has been busy.

https://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/tmnt-100-idw/ (says there will be a trade dress and virgin version of the TMNT #100 cover, so I'd assume the UY #6 half would get the same treatment)
Last edited by jabba359 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:42 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Maka » Tue Nov 12, 2019 21:37 +0000

59 different versions of TMNT #100! Wow! I'm sorry for Mayhem but I'm glad I'm limiting myself to collecting Usagi. Whew! Peace, maka
Maka

Postby jabba359 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 22:11 +0000

Maka wrote:59 different versions of TMNT #100! Wow! I'm sorry for Mayhem but I'm glad I'm limiting myself to collecting Usagi. Whew! Peace, maka

And at least one of those is limited to only 10 copies spread over a few different stores.:shock: And I thought some of the Usagi covers were hard to get.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby Mayhem » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:46 +0000

Maka wrote:59 different versions of TMNT #100! Wow! I'm sorry for Mayhem but I'm glad I'm limiting myself to collecting Usagi. Whew! Peace, maka

Thanks! :shock: yeah still on course for all of them bar that ten copy variant :? although there are rumblings about that I have heard that I can't disclose right now.
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby mrmikeryan108 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:50 +0000

Ohhhh…. What!! A Chibi variant!!! That is amazing! Way to go Julie and Stan :)
mrmikeryan108
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby jabba359 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:16 +0000

-Kyle
jabba359

Postby jabba359 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:43 +0000

And here's most of the links:

You can get the Jak's​ covers by contacting them.

The Lightning Strike Ryan G. Browne cover is available at http://ryanbrowne.storenvy.com/products ... iant-cover

The Torpedo comics​ cover is available at https://torpedocomics.com/products/usag ... ve-variant

The Chibi Usagi and Sakai Limited Albedo #2 homages are available at https://www.dogu.co/shop/

The blank cover is available at https://stansakai.com/product/sakai-bla ... -extended/

The Sakai Limited/Kevin Eastman cover is not yet available.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby jabba359 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 19:51 +0000

Cross posted to the TMNT #100 thread:

-Kyle
jabba359

Postby SHB » Wed Nov 13, 2019 21:36 +0000

While I may still strive to be more Kyle-like and collect the remaining missing variants to vol. 4, No. 1s and collect the variants on no.6-I would like to say that the story in issue six was immensely enjoyable. I was able to return to and re-read Usagi's first story with a greater appreciation for how far he (and we) have come over the years. It is similar to many of the lessons and techniques we study at my Aikido dojo. Returning to them and seeing them with older eyes allows us to experience them anew again. Sensei Sakai is an incredible artist, storyteller, and craftsman of the highest order. The battles shown in this issue-past and present, internal and external, personal and inter-personal all provide tremendous inside into Usagi and his journey-both physical and spiritual and makes me reflect upon my own places and purposes in life.

Domo
SHB
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby maichan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:11 +0000

Well said SHB. I agree that we've all come a long way from those early issues. Stan's storytelling has gone from good to legendary. Usagi has gone from unique to iconic. I am appreciative of how Stan and Usagi & crew, as well as myself and other fans have grown and matured over the past 35 years. Usagi Yojimbo has had a subtle, yet profound impact on me as a person, and influenced my outlook on life in a unique way. I look forward to re-experiencing the 'first' story.

I haven't picked up my copy yet, and probably won't until this weekend, at which point I will take a look and join in on Jabba's discussion thread.

p.s. the Sakai/Eastman covers are sweet. I can't wait to get them. Hopefully they'll be easily available.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby jabba359 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 23:29 +0000

The foil cover is awesome. Photos really don't do it justice. I tried photographing it a few different ways, but the best thing to show it off is actually video, as you can rotate it to catch light differently. Not only is the front cover awesome, but the back is really cool as well. I posted some pictures and video here (I don't think you have to be a Facebook use to view them):

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0191107919
-Kyle
jabba359

Previous

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum