EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

IDW Usagi Yojimbo #4 Spoilers

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

IDW Usagi Yojimbo #4 Spoilers

Postby estee » Wed Sep 04, 2019 17:22 +0000

"I'm no hero...I just try to do what is right."

Oh you beautiful bastid, Usagi...that is exactly why you're a hero. :D
Image
User avatar
estee
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:39 +0000
Location: Canada

Re: IDW Usagi Yojimbo #4 Spoilers

Postby jabba359 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 22:13 +0000

estee wrote:"I'm no hero...I just try to do what is right."


That was also the line that stood out to me when I read it.

I'm really loving the colors in these first 4 issues. Tom is doing fantastic work and has completely wiped away any reservations I had about the switch over to color. I'm still hoping we get a limited edition in black and white for each trade or something like that, just so I have the option to read the stories in retro 8) black and white should the mood strike me.

Also, I have to give a major thumbs up to Ruth's "Story Notes" in the back. It was a very interesting read and I think I'll check out the books Murasaki Shikibu wrote.
-Kyle
User avatar
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:55 +0000
Location: North Hollywood, CA

Re: IDW Usagi Yojimbo #4 Spoilers

Postby leonid » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:03 +0000

Yeah, that was very cool. Made me look up the Tale of Genji and I came across this neat little video on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201908 ... irst-novel
leonid
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 19:39 +0000

Re: IDW Usagi Yojimbo #4 Spoilers

Postby maichan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:56 +0000

jabba359 wrote:Also, I have to give a major thumbs up to Ruth's "Story Notes" in the back. It was a very interesting read and I think I'll check out the books Murasaki Shikibu wrote.

leonid wrote:Yeah, that was very cool. Made me look up the Tale of Genji and I came across this neat little video on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201908 ... irst-novel


Ruth's notes also sparked my interest. I started looking for what's available in English on Amazon, but it's always a bit confounding with the varied choices when I can't hold an actual copy. If either of you wind up buying a copy, please let us know which version you went with and how you like it.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
User avatar
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>
 
Posts: 2043
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 23:04 +0000
Location: A little Minka, somewhere in the countryside...

Re: IDW Usagi Yojimbo #4 Spoilers

Postby leonid » Fri Sep 06, 2019 18:19 +0000

maichan wrote:If either of you wind up buying a copy, please let us know which version you went with and how you like it.

The University of Adelaide maintains a beautifully curated collection of free public domain classics in all ebook formats (including Html just for reading in a browser if that is your choice). I've read a few books from there before so naturally, I checked there again. I was not disappointed.

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/m/murasaki-shikibu/

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/m/murasa ... -of-genji/

This translation is by Edward G Seidensticker, which seems to be a preferred translation. I went digging around in my library to see which is a better translation and came across an old Economist article which says this.

"Arther Waley, a British scholar also known for his translations of Chinese literature, published his version from 1925 to 1933. It was his limpid prose that brought 'Genji' to western readers, as they re-examined Japanese culture after the second world war. An American author-translator, Edward Seidensticker, produced a fuller translation in 1976, using a matter-of-fact voice akin to Murasaki's own. He is the preferred version in the United States today".
leonid
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 19:39 +0000

Re: IDW Usagi Yojimbo #4 Spoilers

Postby Maka » Sat Sep 07, 2019 14:46 +0000

SPOILERS ALERT



















I finally got my copy today.

I love the zombie fight scenes. So much slicing zombie’s into different pieces, I like the visuals (with no blood). And these zombies seem to move quickly. The leader jumping down in midair to attack our hero is wonderful.

My favorite lines were two:

“Will you?”
“I cannot stop writing as I cannot stop breathing! It would be the death of me.”

Lady Mura’s facial expressions are tired and sad.

“We all need heroes!”
Again, Lady Mura’s eyes looking at Usagi (off screen) are so expressive. A beautifully sad yet uplifting panel.

I especially love this cover. So stylized. I love every detail, down to the Japanese slipper socks. This cover with next months would look awesome on someone’s wall.

Request Dogu poster ideal! :)

I too am loving he additions of colors Tom Luth’s color.

Peace, maka
User avatar
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>
 
Posts: 3051
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 20:10 +0000
Location: California

Re: IDW Usagi Yojimbo #4 Spoilers

Postby jabba359 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 16:27 +0000

Maka wrote:I especially love this cover. So stylized. I love every detail, down to the Japanese slipper socks. This cover with next months would look awesome on someone’s wall.

Request Dogu poster ideal! :)


Agreed on the cover(s). I like that there is a watercolor paper texture look to the cover. I don't know if that texture was a direct scan of the art or a stylistic layer added in post, but it gives the art a very organic feel.

P.S. I'm going to guess that it's a layer effect in Photoshop, as it doesn't make sense to use a paper that textured to draw on if it's not getting painted on physically, and I also don't see evidence of the texture on Stan post about creating the cover: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3351261734
-Kyle
User avatar
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:55 +0000
Location: North Hollywood, CA

Re: IDW Usagi Yojimbo #4 Spoilers

Postby maichan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 22:12 +0000

jabba359 wrote:
Maka wrote:I especially love this cover. So stylized. I love every detail, down to the Japanese slipper socks. This cover with next months would look awesome on someone’s wall.

Request Dogu poster ideal! :)


Agreed on the cover(s). I like that there is a watercolor paper texture look to the cover. I don't know if that texture was a direct scan of the art or a stylistic layer added in post, but it gives the art a very organic feel.

P.S. I'm going to guess that it's a layer effect in Photoshop, as it doesn't make sense to use a paper that textured to draw on if it's not getting painted on physically, and I also don't see evidence of the texture on Stan post about creating the cover: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3351261734


I also like these covers and would love to see them given the poster or print treatment, and on an appropriately textured paper. :D
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
User avatar
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>
 
Posts: 2043
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 23:04 +0000
Location: A little Minka, somewhere in the countryside...

Re: IDW Usagi Yojimbo #4 Spoilers

Postby lookatyouhacker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 17:31 +0000

You know, I don't think the Tale of Genji had zombies in it. That sounds less like Murasaki Shikibu and more like Brahm Stoker.

Also, the whole zombie thing reminded me of Traitors of the Earth.
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

Image
User avatar
lookatyouhacker
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:55 +0000
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania


Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests