EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Usagi Yojimbo Color Classics - Jan 2020

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: Usagi Yojimbo Color Classics - Jan 2020

Postby maichan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 21:55 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:
Angilasman wrote:I'm not entirely clear on the format of this... nevertheless: sounds cool!

32 pages, so it sounds like a comic instead of a trade paperback.....

And priced like a comic at $3.99

UYCC01.jpg
UYCC01.jpg (188.54 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Angilasman » Mon Oct 28, 2019 22:11 +0000

... hmmm, I wonder if the plan is to do every issue or to just do a sort of 'best of' smattering and save some of the color versions of certain stories for the eventual color collections? That cover makes me think that this is indeed Samurai Part 1.
Angilasman
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby jabba359 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 23:50 +0000

Angilasman wrote:... hmmm, I wonder if the plan is to do every issue or to just do a sort of 'best of' smattering and save some of the color versions of certain stories for the eventual color collections? That cover makes me think that this is indeed Samurai Part 1.

The wording of the original announcement, "IDW Publishing will revisit some of the most memorable adventures of Miyamoto Usagi..." leads me to believe these will be a 'best of', with them hopefully following through with the promise to reprint everything as color collections. For the complete run color reprints, I'd expect something like trade paperback sized releases or something similar to the IDW TMNT ongoing collection volumes that contain approximately 2 trades worth of material in each hardcover (the latter being my preference, as I like the larger than tbp dimensions and prefer hardcovers over softcovers).
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby maichan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:09 +0000

jabba359 wrote:
Angilasman wrote:... hmmm, I wonder if the plan is to do every issue or to just do a sort of 'best of' smattering and save some of the color versions of certain stories for the eventual color collections? That cover makes me think that this is indeed Samurai Part 1.

The wording of the original announcement, "IDW Publishing will revisit some of the most memorable adventures of Miyamoto Usagi..." leads me to believe these will be a 'best of', with them hopefully following through with the promise to reprint everything as color collections. For the complete run color reprints, I'd expect something like trade paperback sized releases or something similar to the IDW TMNT ongoing collection volumes that contain approximately 2 trades worth of material in each hardcover (the latter being my preference, as I like the larger than tbp dimensions and prefer hardcovers over softcovers).

Yeah, I recall when reading the original announcement, that I thought to myself that it was odd they said "some of the most memorable adventures".
My first reaction was, "oh no, then this won't be a complete reprint in color?"

I'm spot on with your preferences Jabba, that's what I'd like to see, eventually.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Stan Sakai » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:58 +0000

The plan is for ALL the Usagi stories to be colored. We chose to begin with Samurai because it really is Usagi’s origin story and Goblin of Adachigahara, the first story published, will be revisited in next month’s issue 6. It seemed Redundant to present that story so soon.

The first trade featured mostly shorter stories. Since the Fantagraphics run of the series we’re mostly 20 pages, the early stories in Book 1 will be used as fillers to extend the page count.

The IDW color stories will first be printed as comic books to help recoup the costs of coloring, as they did with the early TMNT stories, then those stories will be collected in graphic novels. The comic series will be cancelled when it no longer becomes cost effective. From then it will appear only as GN, though not on a regular schedule, as would be the case when it first comes out as comics.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Maka » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:24 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:The plan is for ALL the Usagi stories to be colored. We chose to begin with Samurai because it really is Usagi’s origin story and Goblin of Adachigahara, the first story published, will be revisited in next month’s issue 6. It seemed Redundant to present that story so soon.

The first trade featured mostly shorter stories. Since the Fantagraphics run of the series we’re mostly 20 pages, the early stories in Book 1 will be used as fillers to extend the page count.

The IDW color stories will first be printed as comic books to help recoup the costs of coloring, as they did with the early TMNT stories, then those stories will be collected in graphic novels. The comic series will be cancelled when it no longer becomes cost effective. From then it will appear only as GN, though not on a regular schedule, as would be the case when it first comes out as comics.

Dear Stan,

That is so interesting. I love the BTS bits of knowledge. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to picking these stories in color and rereading them. It might be interesting to read the “new” colorized comics next to the B&W stories together.

Question: Will the reprinted in color comics have new covers, a mixture of old and new, or just old covers?

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby maichan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 15:04 +0000

Thank you for clearing things up for us Stan!
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Angilasman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 16:39 +0000

Makes sense!

The early days of Usagi were before my time. It's going to be an awful lot of fun revisiting these stories in something approximating the 'classic' way of picking up single issues at the local comic shop!
Angilasman

Postby Stan Sakai » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:11 +0000

Maka wrote:
Question: Will the reprinted in color comics have new covers, a mixture of old and new, or just old covers?

Peace, maka

Right now we are doing new covers. The first issue will have a one page Chibi gag. We would like to continue Chibi Usagi shorts but don’t know if we can because Julie has a couple big projects, one of which comes out at the beginning of May (hint).
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby lookatyouhacker » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:05 +0000

The beginning of May, hm? Can't wait until then.
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker

Previous

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum