EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

IDW Usagi Yojimbo #6 story discussion ***SPOILERS***

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

IDW Usagi Yojimbo #6 story discussion ***SPOILERS***

Postby jabba359 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 21:45 +0000

Okay, I thought I'd start a separate thread to discuss the story as I didn't want to post spoilers in the other thread. So as the story begins, it seems like it's taking place in the current Usagi timeline, but then we have the same story -albeit expanded- from Albedo #2.

Since the Usagi from page 1 is experiencing this issue as a current event, and not a flashback (aside from the retelling of the war), I think that can only mean one of two things:
A) the whole issue takes place in the past when the original telling in Albedo #2 also took place, and therefore precedes all his adventures we've read over the years, or
B) this takes place in the current Usagi timeline and means that the Albedo #2 story never happened in the past.

I'm leaning more towards the second explanation, as this series of panels wouldn't make much sense if this issue occurred on the original timeline of the story far in the past:

UY 6 page 8.jpg
UY 6 page 8.jpg (188.24 KiB) Viewed 1038 times

My reasoning is that Usagi, throughout the years, has been reluctant to not only enter any relationships, but hasn't taken any official positions with any lords in spite of there being interest in retaining him. If he had sought to be released of his duties with his deceased lord early on, I don't think his hesitation throughout the years to align himself personally and professionally makes as much sense. I'd love to know what everyone else thinks.
Last edited by jabba359 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 14:00 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
-Kyle
jabba359
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Re: IDW Usagi Yojimbo #6 story discussion ***SPOILERS***

Postby go » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:05 +0000

Hi Kyle,
We are witnessing Sensei Sakai's change of perspective and understandings.
Thank you Sensei for sharing your thoughts in such a beautiful way.
Best wishes to all.
go
go
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby Steve Hubbell » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:50 +0000

I was somewhat surprised at how much of the story "Return to Adachi Plain" was also included and expanded upon in this story.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby estee » Fri Nov 15, 2019 21:03 +0000

I kinda thought this line was in conflict with when he told Sasuke "Where ever I want", after he was asked where he was going.

That line made believe Usagi was beyond such things as being service to others. He was his own man and would follow his own path.

Not that there is anything wrong with Usagi serving another Lord, I'd like to believe it would Noriyuki.

Maybe Usagi will take a page from "Conan" and become a lord by his own hand and rule a clan of his own creation. Then take back the Northern Province and lay waste to the hated Lord Hikiji (ptui!). :D
estee
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Maka » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:15 +0000

The assumption that this is happening in the current timeline maybe incorrect. While Usagi’s scar is healed, is it not so in original? It is the introduction to Usagi so that story could have happened in any time. And it just take years to transform into a goblin, I think. Hmmmmm.
Maka

Postby estee » Sat Nov 16, 2019 13:19 +0000

Oh that Stan...tormenting his fans like this!!! :D
estee

Postby jabba359 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 17:00 +0000

Okay, after reading through it again I changed my mind. I don't think this takes place in modern time in the Usagi chronology, but I can't figure out where it does take place, as I think each option has its issues.

Since the new telling (I'll call it "New Goblin") is a synthesis of two existing Usagi stories, the original Goblin of Adachigahara (I'll refer to it as "Original Goblin" from here on) which was published in Nov. 1984 and Return to Adachi Plain (I'll call it "Return" from now on) from Feb. 1997, it's possible that it takes place in either of those points in time, but here's where I run into issues.

The new story has Usagi observe that "I have never known the snows to come so early," which would firmly put this new telling in the (likely early) fall. If this replaces the Albedo #2 Original Goblin story timeline, the story directly following (Lone Rabbit and Child) takes place in the spring, so that leaves a big 6 month or so gap between the first and second stories. I had always assumed that the Original Goblin telling occurred in the early spring at high elevation (which is why there was snow) and then Usagi more or less immediately descended into a lower, snow-free elevation for Lone Rabbit and Child. If New Goblin is a chronological replacement for Original Goblin, that means we have a 6-month or so gap between it and the second story (early fall to early spring). That's a pretty big gap. It would also leave me wondering what "circumstances and personal relationships" Usagi is referring to as he asks for release from his vows to Mifune, as he's not yet met Tomoe/Noriyuki nor knows about his son Jotaro?

Now, if New Goblin replaces the Return to Adachi Plain story on the timeline, that would place it well after Usagi had met Tomoe and Noriyuki, so his asking to be released from his vows could be a reflection of these characters changing his outlook or Usagi could be referring to his discovery that he has a son, Jotaro, in Circles, which also predates the Return story. But, if New Goblin is a direct replacement for Return, looking at the seasons leads me to a similar problem as before because the stories that lead up to Return (A Promise in the Snow and The Conspiracy of Eight) both take place in the winter, but New Goblin takes place in the fall. That would mean we have winter story->winter story->fall story. It's not a major problem, as nothing stipulates that Return was published in story-chronology order.

So it leaves me wondering where in the storytelling chronology this takes place? The only reason I find this a major point is that, depending on when it transpired, it gives a different meaning to what Usagi is talking about when he says "circumstances and personal relationships have changed." If it's a direct Original Goblin replacement, then it pre-dates his meeting Tomoe, Noriyuki or discovering Jotaro is his son and is referencing previous events that haven't been covered, at least none that I can recall (has he had any flashbacks to his post-war, but pre-Original Goblin time that he might be referring to that I'm forgetting?).

If it's a later story, I wonder how much later? Return era (seasons chronology aside), would put it well after meeting Tomoe/Noriyuki and the Jotaro-as-son reveal. New Goblin makes it obvious that a certain event or events caused him to change his mind on such an important matter as his vows to his lord, so I'd think they must be fairly significant events. Knowing the timeline would give a hint to what in particular drove him to make this trip to seek release from his vows.
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby estee » Sun Nov 17, 2019 17:46 +0000

I think this is just Stan filling out the story line, filling in holes in the plot and just making Usagi's origin flow easier.

Those initial stories were written when he was just starting out, or were back-up for a trade. Things were left out, for whatever reason.

So Stan decided to rewrite Usagi's origin.

:D
estee

Postby jabba359 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 18:33 +0000

^yeah, I've had a little too much free time on my hands this past week, so I'm probably way overthinking it. :lol:
-Kyle
jabba359

Postby estee » Sun Nov 17, 2019 18:42 +0000

jabba359 wrote:^yeah, I've had a little too much free time on my hands this past week, so I'm probably way overthinking it. :lol:

Hey we're nerds, it's what we do! :D
estee

Postby maichan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 22:35 +0000

jabba359 wrote:^yeah, I've had a little too much free time on my hands this past week, so I'm probably way overthinking it. :lol:

LOL, you need to get out of the house and enjoy some fresh air!

I finally got my copy, and sat down to read it yesterday. Like Estee said, I think Stan has just gone back and refreshed the first Usagi tale.. I don't think it has relocated within the timeline continuum. I guess a lot hinges on how we interpret that first story. I've always been under the assumption that most of the stories were written & published in chronological order (unless the stories are obvious flashbacks, which we are usually made aware of). So this story is where we first meet Usagi, and all the stories that come after, also actually 'take place' after this story (except for the flashback stories of course). Sorry, but my memory is kind of lousy, so I don't recall all the details, places, or names, or all the stories written, but by the telling of "Adachi", Usagi has already begun his Warrior's path, and those "circumstances and personal relationships" we have witnessed in the flashback stories. More or less or something like that.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Casey Burns » Sun Nov 17, 2019 22:58 +0000

Ack! Crisis on Infinite Albedos!

Loved this issue, caused such nostalgia for the 80s.
Casey Burns Creative
http://caseyburnscreative.com
Casey Burns

Postby go » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:41 +0000

Rashomon
go
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby Maka » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:55 +0000

go wrote:Rashomon

Nice!
Maka

Postby maichan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:00 +0000

Maka wrote:
go wrote:Rashomon

Nice!

Ah, I get it. (I think)

Brimming with action while incisively examining the nature of truth, "Rashomon" is perhaps the finest film ever to investigate the philosophy of justice. Through an ingenious use of camera and flashbacks, Kurosawa reveals the complexities of human nature as four people recount different versions of the story of a man's murder and the rape of his wife.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Next

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum