EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

IDW Usagi Yojimbo #6 story discussion ***SPOILERS***

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

Re: IDW Usagi Yojimbo #6 story discussion ***SPOILERS***

Postby estee » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:15 +0000

Casey Burns wrote:Ack! Crisis on Infinite Albedos!

Loved this issue, caused such nostalgia for the 80s.

Ooo...alternate reality Usagi stories!!

Where Mifune kills Hikiji (ptui!)
Usagi become a retainer to Hikiji (ptui!)
Jotaro becomes the new Jei and Usagi has to slay him!!!
Usagi vs Nazis!

Make this happen, Stan. :D
estee
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Angilasman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 22:20 +0000

Loved this issue. A lot of the same questions about the chronology of it occurred to me, but mostly I just got swept up with it. It was very nostalgic.

Also: is the 'Goblin' really even a supernatural being? In the original version of the story he unambiguously is, but I felt there was a little ambiguity here and he may have just become feral and cannibalistic, but still... a guy, you know?
Angilasman

Postby TankPolice96 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:59 +0000

I agree with you on this one. I think he's not supposed to be a goblin at all. His "goblin-ness" is a result of his soul and body rotting away from exile and savagery. Thinking back to the original one, I think that might've been the case there, but it wasn't as clearly ambiguous as it was here. I love the ambiguity. It really made the issue for me. That kind of nuance isn't seen in storytelling anymore

As to where it fits into the continuity, I think it is supposed to replace the Return to Adachi Plain by combining both stories and making it seem as if they took place during the same event. However, I think continuity error with the wheater (as mentioned earlier in the forum) was a mistake on Stan's part and I can't blame him for it since I wouldn't have noticed myself with how long he's been writing and drawing this. Also, as it was pointed out the way these are published, doesn't necessarily mean they have to be in in-story chronological order, so this replacing the second story would be completely in-line.

However, if it doesn't end up doing that and he's referring to others that he met in the period between undertaking his warrior's journey and his arrival to Adiachi plain, I'd love to see who he's talking about, you know if its not Tomoe and co.
TankPolice96

Postby TankPolice96 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:11 +0000

Actually, I think it replaces both stories, but takes place in the current continuity and might be a reaction to Tomoe's marriage arrangement!

Also, I can't remember, but in the original goblin story, does he call the goblin's wife a grandmother. I was thinking he might have said this in the new one to show us that a long long time's passed between his service to Mifune and finally coming to the Adachi Plain for the first time (in this retcon I mean)!
TankPolice96

Previous

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum