EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

When and Where?

General discussion about Usagi Yojimbo, the comics, the stories, the characters, collectibles, TV appearances, Stan Sakai, Space Usagi, Nilson & Hermy, and all other related topics.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, Moderators

When and Where?

Postby maichan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:05 +0000

So I've been catching up on my Usagi Yojimbo reading and have been going through the hardcovers (Special Edition and Saga books). I'm currently finishing up Saga book 4. I've always been curious about where and when the stories take place, and I've always wished there was a timeline of events and maps of Usagi's travels. With that in mind, I've begun to compile my own timeline... but I waited until Saga Book 4 to do it, so I'll need to go back and research the previous volumes again. :roll:

So far, for Saga Book 4, which includes Duel at Kitanoji, Travels with Jotaro and Fathers & Sons, most of the major stories take place in the span of a few months - from autumn to winter.

A bit more tricky are figuring out the locations, and for that I need to ask Sakai Sensei a question (I hope your'e reading this Stan). In Saga Book 4 there are a few major specific locations mentioned. One being Kitanoji Temple, and another being the Toshi Mountains. I tried searching for these to see if they are actual locations, even enlisting the help of my wife (so she could check them in Japanese), but we haven't had much luck. Apparently there are a few real Kitanoji Temples, but we could not find anything for the Toshi Mountains. So I'd like to ask Stan, are these locations in the stories real, or fictional? If they're fictional, do you have actual counterpart locations in mind?
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Re: When and Where?

Postby maichan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 22:13 +0000

There's a good example of "where" in the new IDW issue 6.

In the story notes on the last page, Stan talks about the Adachi Plain located in Fukushima Prefecture. It is here where Adachigahara is located (the name of the eastern shore of Abukuma River as well as the eastern base of Mount Adatara).

This is the location of the story of the Onibaba of Adachigahara.
Before reading the Story Notes, during my meager attempt at researching the battle of Adachigahara, the closest I was able to come was the battle of Sekigahara.
In the story notes, Stan goes on to explain that he's not sure if there ever was a battle at Adachigahara, but he did base it on the Battle of Sekigahara.

Thus we have at least one reference point for Usagi. Now we just need to map out all of his journeys.

In the map below, the red circle is the location of Edo (Tokyo), and the green circle is the approximate location of Adachigahara.

(Click on the map to expand the image)
oldmapJapan001.jpg
oldmapJapan001.jpg (250.2 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Last edited by maichan on Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:37 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Postby Stan Sakai » Mon Nov 18, 2019 22:39 +0000

maichan wrote:
A bit more tricky are figuring out the locations, and for that I need to ask Sakai Sensei a question (I hope your'e reading this Stan). In Saga Book 4 there are a few major specific locations mentioned. One being Kitanoji Temple, and another being the Toshi Mountains. I tried searching for these to see if they are actual locations, even enlisting the help of my wife (so she could check them in Japanese), but we haven't had much luck. Apparently there are a few real Kitanoji Temples, but we could not find anything for the Toshi Mountains. So I'd like to ask Stan, are these locations in the stories real, or fictional? If they're fictional, do you have actual counterpart locations in mind?

There may be a Kitanoji Temple in the Toshi Mountains, but I have forgotten where I got the names from. I may have read it or heard it somewhere, but it's been so long I have forgotten. Or I may have made up the mountain. Sorry I can't be definite about this.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby maichan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:33 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:There may be a Kitanoji Temple in the Toshi Mountains, but I have forgotten where I got the names from. I may have read it or heard it somewhere, but it's been so long I have forgotten. Or I may have made up the mountain. Sorry I can't be definite about this.

Thank you for your feedback Stan. I guess if the places are partially made up, it may make it impossible for us to trace Uasagi's footsteps on a conventional map of Japan. But maybe we can put together a fictional map of Usagi's Japan one day. Something to think about, ne? :wink:
Michael, a.k.a., Maichan

My Usagi Collection
maichan

Return to Usagi Yojimbo Main Forum