EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

New animated Usagi series?

A moderated forum where Stan Sakai and the UYD Shogunate regularly post UY-related news, comic con and signing info, Dojo contest info, and special announcements to UYD Members.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, digulla, Moderators

Re: New animated Usagi series?

Postby Eshbaal » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:40 +0000

grusagi wrote:just a thought

how about 2 different series?

young usagi for the younger kids

adult usagi for older kids and above

twice the usagi! 8)

And twice the budget, manpower and workload. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.
Eshbaal
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Re: Usagi animated series by Gaumont

Postby Todd Shogun » Sat Feb 17, 2018 21:57 +0000

Hmmm..I thought the current/last incarnation was pretty good myself. Too bad they are rebooting it again...at least Usagi got some decent treatment on that 3 episode arc last year!
Order your UYD Albedo NR 2 T-Shirt today! Only $12!

Todd Shogun
Shogun

Re: Usagi animated series by Gaumont

Postby Stan Sakai » Sun Feb 18, 2018 18:44 +0000

Todd Shogun wrote:Hmmm..I thought the current/last incarnation was pretty good myself. Too bad they are rebooting it again...at least Usagi got some decent treatment on that 3 episode arc last year!

Yeah, I really liked the three-part Usagi arc. Unfortunately, the last incarnation of the TMNT was not considered a really successful series, but then neither was Samurai Jack or Avatar. Hence the reboot. Adults liked them, but they do not drive the series as far as marketing goes. Merchandising is the main push that keeps a kids' program on the air, unfortunately. I was told that by the time a kid reaches age 7 he cuts down on TV time in favor of gaming. That is why the next incarnation of the TMNT will be geared for the 4-6 crowd. So, actually, Usagi will be aiming for a older demographic than the typical cartoon viewership.

Please do not share this information. I don't want more speculation about the target viewership of any possible Usagi series. The truth is that we have not really decided what route to take the series.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Angilasman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 21:49 +0000

^ I think the Usagi three-parter was a great stab (I was amazed Leonardo was allowed to stab Jei!) at adapting Usagi into animation. I hope that that's the general vibe you and your cohorts will shoot for in the actual Usagi series.

Not that my two cents are worth much, but if y'all go the streaming route as opposed to broadcast I think the older target demo will work. I've always liked cartoons, and in the last few years I've noticed a steep divide: the more complex cartoon shows, the ones with richer characterization and overarching storylines are migrating to online streaming, with more simplistic, younger skewing shows dominating TV broadcast time. Netflix has had success with the rebooted Voltron (spearheaded by some of the folks who made Avatar) and Guillermo del Toro's Trollhunters. Netflix doesn't release viewing figures, but has called Trollhunters their most watched kids show and is blowing it up into a shared universe of spin-off shows!

Both of those shows are continuity heavy. You have to watch the episodes in order, which is becoming a rarity for animated shows airing on broadcast but didn't use to be: Cartoon Network's shows with adult fanbases like Steven Universe and Adventure Time are similarly continuity heavy, to the point of being dense, and while they used to be aired frequently as recently as a few years ago they are now rarely aired on the network itself, with new episodes premiering on CN's app weeks before they show up on broadcast. Episodes of both eventually show up on Hulu, where fans can watch those long storylines in order at their own leisure. Meanwhile, Teen Titans Go, a lighthearted comedy with self contained episodes aimed at smaller kids, is CN's most successful show on their broadcast network and is aired frequently during each day.

Maybe older kids (and the adult fans of cartoons) are more likely to take charge and curate their own viewing experience with streaming? Maybe?

Established movie studios are being sold off, meanwhile Netflix and Amazon are becoming studios themselves. TV networks are finding themselves on unsure footing and everyone's wondering if they could turn themselves into a streaming service. We're in the middle of seismic shift in the way we consume our media and I don't envy those who's job it is to guess what's next!
Angilasman

Postby Sketch » Mon Mar 26, 2018 18:28 +0000

Congrats Sensei Sakai!!! We will finally see Usagi adapted to the small screen in his new series. Everything is right in the universe again. Will these be new adventures or will we see an adaptation of the source material? At any rate, I am very excited!!!
Sketch

Postby jabba359 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 18:43 +0000

I just wanted to bump this to the top, as I was thinking about it today. After re-reading the press announcement, I noticed that the animated series was being produced in partnership with Dark Horse Entertainment (among others). Besides not hearing anything recently about it and Stan moving over to IDW (which has a film and television department of their own), I was wondering if the show was still moving forward or if any news can be shared about it?
-Kyle
jabba359
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Angilasman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 19:53 +0000

^ I recall reading something about Dark Horse being purchased by Chinese investors last year - with an eye towards developing their properties in other media. Of course, I have no idea whether that affected things are not?
Angilasman

Postby dhfujii » Fri May 10, 2019 17:50 +0000

Hi All,

Yes, the progress of the show has not been affected by Usagi's move to IDW Publishing and Dark Horse's shares being bought by the Chinese investors. It's supposed to be business as usual, at Dark Horse, from what I understand, anyway. In any event, Gaumont Studios is actually the one who has the option, so their discussions are still continuing forward, uninterrupted. Dark Horse Entertainment, Atomic Monster, and Stan are all producers on the show, but Gaumont Studios has the option. It's rather confusing, but I hope it makes a semblance of sense.

Here's one of the press release articles: https://www.awn.com/news/gaumont-option ... gi-yojimbo

These things do take a while, but I'm quite confident regarding their progress. Wish I could say more, but it's never good to talk about things prematurely!

Best,

Daniel
dhfujii
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby Eshbaal » Sat May 11, 2019 5:16 +0000

dhfujii wrote:Hi All,

Yes, the progress of the show has not been affected by Usagi's move to IDW Publishing and Dark Horse's shares being bought by the Chinese investors. It's supposed to be business as usual, at Dark Horse, from what I understand, anyway. In any event, Gaumont Studios is actually the one who has the option, so their discussions are still continuing forward, uninterrupted. Dark Horse Entertainment, Atomic Monster, and Stan are all producers on the show, but Gaumont Studios has the option. It's rather confusing, but I hope it makes a semblance of sense.

Here's one of the press release articles: https://www.awn.com/news/gaumont-option ... gi-yojimbo

These things do take a while, but I'm quite confident regarding their progress. Wish I could say more, but it's never good to talk about things prematurely!

Best,

Daniel

So it IS still happening? That's great news if so. I've been a bit worried lately. It seems a bit unusual for 15 months to pass without as much as a piece of concept art being shown anywhere, but then what do I know about the process. These things take time, and as long as it hasn't been canceled outright I can be patient.
Eshbaal

Previous

Return to Dojo News