EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Busy, busy.

A moderated forum where Stan Sakai and the UYD Shogunate regularly post UY-related news, comic con and signing info, Dojo contest info, and special announcements to UYD Members.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, digulla, Moderators

Busy, busy.

Postby Stan Sakai » Sat Apr 25, 2009 21:55 +0000

I have not been posting as much as I would like to. I've been extremely busy lately.

Yokai has been coming along very nicely. I hope to finish it by the end of May. However, I have had to put it aside to do a pin-up for a Simpsons meet Futurama hardcover from Bongo Comics. I think it collects the two crossover mini-series from a few years ago. I'm also doing a very short comic story for a video gaming company.

When I have the time, I'll post a couple more pages from Yokai.

I've written the UY stories up to issue 26, but have not had time to do the thumbnails or draw cover. One of the stories is a two-parter about making soy sauce titled "Shoyu".

I still hope to get a new Sketchbook out in time for San Diego, though. It may have to contain just sketches though, and not something more extensive like the step-by-step look at creating comics in #3, or the alternate ending for a story that was in #4. Speaking of Sketchbooks, #2 is almost sold out, but I will have copies at San Diego.

I should be back once everything has settled down, as far as my workload and traveling goes. And it's about time we had another contest for the Dojo.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Re: Busy, busy.

Postby Maka » Sun Apr 26, 2009 0:28 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote: One of the stories is a two-parter about making soy sauce titled "Shoyu".

Yum! I hope someday you do a story called "Natto." :lol:

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Postby SHIZEN » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:06 +0000

Hi stan, can we know what this videogame is your writing a comic for?
SHIZEN
Shugyosha<Student Warrior>

Postby Mayhem » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:11 +0000

More work is good work, congrats on the side requests Stan :)

Makes me wonder if you'd have time for a commission though for San Diego... still mulling it over :twisted:
With a breeze comes a storm, but then you'll all be washed away...
Mayhem

Postby Ben » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:39 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:I've written the UY stories up to issue 26, but have not had time to do the thumbnails or draw cover. One of the stories is a two-parter about making soy sauce titled "Shoyu".

The death of Hikiji, AND soy sauce? I don't think my mind can take so much awesomeness...
Ben

Postby Jet_Jaguar » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:29 +0000

A story about soy sauce, eh? This one will be hard to top:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz-mJed_bP0

Destroy all foreign sauces, Kikkoman! :P

All of a sudden, I'm hungry for some sushi.
"It doesn't matter whom you are paired against;
your opponent is always yourself."

-Nakamura (via Joe R. Lansdale's Mucho Mojo)
Jet_Jaguar

Postby Steve Hubbell » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:48 +0000

I am also curious for more information on the video game short story. :D
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby tru2gzus » Sun Apr 26, 2009 22:06 +0000

Jet_Jaguar wrote:Destroy all foreign sauces, Kikkoman! :P

All of a sudden, I'm hungry for some sushi.

Mmmmmm, *drool* sushi....sashimi...*drools like Homer Simpson*
'For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son (Jesus –who died on the cross for all our sins), that whosoever believes in Him will not perish, but, have eternal life.' -John 3:16 (New Testament - Bible)
tru2gzus

Postby Steve Hubbell » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:43 +0000

SHIZEN wrote:Hi stan, can we know what this videogame is your writing a comic for?

The mystery surrounding this project deepens.....

The first quote is from Jon Chang's blog, which lists him as, amoung other things, as lead designer and president at Echelon Software. He is also the singer/graphic artist for Discordance Axis, GridLink and Hayaino Daisuki.

Jon Chang wrote:At the end of the day, we spent over $1500 on the production of this specific piece including photography by Mr Scott Kinkade, wardrobe by Michelle Bowlin of Assassins Boutique, modeling by Hannah Craft of Rabbit Hole Bakeshop and finally the cosmetic works of Jenny Kline aka facemakerj. Each one of these people played an integral part in making the art come together and look the way it does. Note: that figure above doesn't include the original Scratch Trigger Era comic that comes with the record! Featuring the writing of Mark Gilson + Jon Chang with the artistic talents of Mr Stan Sakai we are finally releasing a prologue story to STE! And yes, it's that Stan Sakai! When it comes to making the stuff shine, I don't half arse anything ^_^

http://tcn2019.blogspot.com/2009/06/inv ... -fire.html

This second quote is from an interview at the Hammer Smashed Jazz blog....

Jon Chang wrote:HSZ:I absolutely love the very small bit of Scratch Trigger Era I've seen.Will we ever see any more of it?

JON:There's a comic by Mark Gilson, myself and Stan Sakai included in the new Hayaino LP.

http://hammersmashedjazz.blogspot.com/2 ... chang.html

Finally, here is a link to the Studio Grey web-page for Scratch Trigger Era, to give a possible idea of what might be in the works......

http://www.studio-grey.com/ste/

Sounds like something that will definitely be interesting.... and worth seeing.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Stan Sakai » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:41 +0000

Steve Hubbell wrote:The mystery surrounding this project deepens.....

Sounds like something that will definitely be interesting.... and worth seeing.

Wow. How did you ever find this?!

I did a very short black and white comic story, with help from friend Jim MacQuarrie.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Fanfan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:41 +0000

Ahah, google should hire Steve to improve how its search engine works...
Fanfan

Postby Steve Hubbell » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:55 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:Wow. How did you ever find this?!

The first two links came up one day last week while doing a google Blog search for "Stan Sakai." I bookmarked the page with the interview so I could go back to it later, but forgot to do it for Jon Chang's blog page.

Then, when I tried to find his blog again, the link refused to come up in ANY search for several days, until finally, last night it showed up in the blog search acting like it had been there all along. I made sure I bookmarked it that time.
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby Steve Hubbell » Thu Feb 11, 2010 0:25 +0000

Invincible Gate Mind of the Infernal Fire by Hayaino Daisuki

According to Amazon, it is finally being released February 23, 2010.

Hydra Head Records wrote:The fastest, most melodic, most thrashiest record out there!.. and the CD booklet involves an original comic illustrated by Stan Sakai! Which I'm told will not come with the rapidshare download.. Enjoy!
Steve Hubbell
Taisho

Postby lookatyouhacker » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:26 +0000

Ben wrote:
Stan Sakai wrote:I've written the UY stories up to issue 26, but have not had time to do the thumbnails or draw cover. One of the stories is a two-parter about making soy sauce titled "Shoyu".

The death of Hikiji, AND soy sauce? I don't think my mind can take so much awesomeness...

So... literal awesomesauce.
Restriction Number 666 Released! Dimensional Interference Field Deployed! Code SOL! BlazeBlue Activate!

lookatyouhacker

Return to Dojo News