EnglishFrenchJapaneseKorean
Powered by Translate
Stay in the Loop: (newsletter signup form)

Golden Miracle Man

A moderated forum where Stan Sakai and the UYD Shogunate regularly post UY-related news, comic con and signing info, Dojo contest info, and special announcements to UYD Members.

Moderators: Steve Hubbell, Mayhem, digulla, Moderators

Golden Miracle Man

Postby Stan Sakai » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:11 +0000

If any of you read the weekly Comics Buyer's Guide, you may have seen the lead story for #2535 (April 8, 2003). It is about a variant of MiracleMan #1 from 1985 that recently sold for $1500. It is one of 400 copies numbered and signed by Alan Moore with a gold colored certificate of authenticity. There were, if I remember correctly, 1000 copies of this issue quick-shipped from the printer to the San Diego Con, where Alan made a very rare guest appearance. These were the first copies of MiracleMan sold in the world (it was known as Marvel Man in the UK). As I said, he signed 400 of these. Dean Mullaney and Cat Ironwood, the publishers, signed a bunch that were unnumbered, and called the "blue edition" because of its blue certificate.

What does this have to do with me? Well, each one of those certificates has my name on it. I was at the con when that particular comics came in. I was doing some lettering for Eclipse at the time as they were publishing the Viz manga books back then. Dean and Cat asked if I would letter the certificate. I did not bring any of my lettering supplies but managed with a ruler and my drawing pen. It took about 15-30 minutes. They insisted that I sign the certificate, which I did with the date. I was paid with two copies of the signed gold editions. When I look back on it now, it was probably the best-paying job I ever got--that is, if I ever sell the comics.

It is price guided at $1000, mainly because of its rarity. Apparently, many people who bought the comic did not bother holding onto the certificate. I sometimes thought about selling one of my copies, but I never knew the value of it. I thought if I was lucky, I could get $25 or so. Apparently, I can ask whole lot more.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Wily Pueo » Wed Apr 09, 2003 15:40 +0000

Thanks for the tidbit. I am so mortified that I missed Alan Moore's visit! I'll have to remember to bug you at San Diego for the inside scoop on these things.
Wily Pueo
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Postby Wily Pueo » Wed Apr 09, 2003 15:44 +0000

Ugh, I see, the comic and Alan Moore's appearance was back in 1985. I am still somewhat disheartened by the news you gave to me about Alan Moore breaking away from comic book writing in the relatively near future.
Wily Pueo
Shinobi<Special Ninja Agent>

Re: Golden Miracle Man

Postby Gaffey » Wed Apr 09, 2003 17:45 +0000

Stan Sakai wrote:It is price guided at $1000, mainly because of its rarity. Apparently, many people who bought the comic did not bother holding onto the certificate. I sometimes thought about selling one of my copies, but I never knew the value of it. I thought if I was lucky, I could get $25 or so. Apparently, I can ask whole lot more.

:lol:

I've wanted to read this series for the longest time, but the TPB's are way too expensive just to read. Maybe Neil Gaiman will put out second printings or maybe some HC's. That is of course if he actually has the rights :?
Gaffey
Hatamoto<Special Retainer>

Postby Stan Sakai » Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:44 +0000

Wily Pueo wrote: I am still somewhat disheartened by the news you gave to me about Alan Moore breaking away from comic book writing in the relatively near future.

He's just giving up mainstream comic book work which, I guess, means super heroes. He'll keep doing stuff like From Hell and Lost Girls. I don't know how this will affect League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, though.
Stan Sakai
Sensei

Postby Maka » Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:42 +0000

Thanks Stan,

. . . for sharing such an interesting story. It wonderful to learn more about your part in gold mm. I gave away my miracle man graphic novels (1-3) to a friend, who still has them, as a christmas gift one year. He was just getting into comics and I wanted to see some of the stuff i was into back then.

Then right before my first daughter was born, I sold my complete set of MM (1-25 or was it 24, plus the anthology series & mm family 1 & 3D special) on ebay for $117 to a guy in Germany. It was a good story, but I prefered the money at the time. Amazing what how the price has increased in the past four years.

I used to really love MM, but now that I'm in my 30s, I appreciate Usagi and more of the independent line of comics.

I figure a lot of you already know about the legal struggles between todd and neil, but in case some of you don't know, here's one link:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/2242.html

Peace, maka
Maka
Daimyo <High-Ranking Lord>

Return to Dojo News